How can I create a battery powered LED that flashes 8 times per minute?

• Thread starter brian04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led
In summary, a 555 timer can be used to set the flash rate on a battery powered LED. The timer is adjustable to set the flash rate to 8 flashes per minute for a duration of 2 hours.
brian04
Hey team i need some simple electrical engineering advice. I am a surgery resident and I need battery powered LED that flashes at 8 times a minute. Research funding is about as easy to find as health insurance so I am trying it on my own. I thought about just taking apart a flashing light that I use when i ride my bike to work but I am not sure conceptually the mechanism for changing the timing of the flash.
Project requirements:
- small (about the size of the old school plastic rings out of the 25 cent machines)
- battery powered
- 8 flashes per minute
- duration of flashing 2 hours max

I am thinking that I'll just build the circuit on a hinge so that when the attachment site is expanded to a hemisphere it completes the circuit and the light begins to flash. Any thoughts would be great. Especially on the timing mechanism.

Engineering news on Phys.org
brian04 said:
Hey team i need some simple electrical engineering advice. I am a surgery resident and I need battery powered LED that flashes at 8 times a minute. Research funding is about as easy to find as health insurance so I am trying it on my own. I thought about just taking apart a flashing light that I use when i ride my bike to work but I am not sure conceptually the mechanism for changing the timing of the flash.
Good idea if you want something quick and ready to go. I haven't inspected a bike flasher either, but it may very well be a simple resistor - capacitor pair that is used to establish the existing timing. If so, and you can find and identify the resistor, then removing and replacing the existing resistor w/ something larger will likely work. That is, if the current flash rate is T=0.5s and you want T=~7s, then replace with an R ~14X larger from your local electronic supply. Soldering etc required for a permanent fix.

555 timer! It is quite flexible in terms of specifying Ton and Toff, and pretty simple to implement, but the results won't be perfect. (i.e. you shouldn't use it to time IV drips or life-support equipment!)

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm#astable

Related to How can I create a battery powered LED that flashes 8 times per minute?

What is a battery powered timed LED?

A battery powered timed LED is a type of light that is powered by a battery and has a built-in timer that allows it to turn on and off at specific intervals. This type of LED is commonly used as a decorative or functional lighting solution.

How does a battery powered timed LED work?

The LED is connected to a battery, which provides the power for the light to turn on. The timer is then set to a specific interval, such as every 5 minutes, and the LED will turn on for that amount of time before automatically turning off. This cycle will continue until the battery runs out of power.

What are the benefits of using a battery powered timed LED?

There are several benefits to using a battery powered timed LED. Firstly, it is energy efficient as it only turns on when needed, saving electricity. It is also convenient as it does not require any wiring, making it easy to install and move around. Additionally, it can provide a decorative or functional lighting solution for outdoor or hard-to-reach areas.

How long do the batteries last in a battery powered timed LED?

The battery life of a battery powered timed LED will depend on the type and quality of the battery used, as well as the interval at which the LED is set to turn on. On average, a set of batteries can last anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

Can the timer on a battery powered timed LED be adjusted?

Yes, most battery powered timed LEDs come with adjustable timers, allowing the user to set the interval at which the light turns on. Some may also have additional features such as a motion sensor or remote control for added customization.