How Can I Construct an Excitation Circuit for a 3-Wire RTD?

In summary, the conversation was about measuring the resistance of a 3-wire RTD using a data acquisition system and LabVIEW. The person was seeking help in constructing an excitation circuit to provide the appropriate current for the measurement. A suggestion was given to use an op-amp as a current source with a voltage reference and low temperature coefficient resistor. The current can be checked by measuring the voltage across the resistor with the DAQ.
OpenLaszlo
Hi everyone,

Im looking to measure the resistance of a 3-wire RTD using a basic data acquisition system and LabVIEW. My DAQ "box" doesn't have any internal excitation sources, and I realize one is necessary to measure resistance across the RTD element. I'm unsure as to how to construct am excitation circuit that will provide me with the appropriate current (~1 mA) for use with the RTD. Does anyone have any diagrams/links that could help me answer this?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Can I Construct an Excitation Circuit for a 3-Wire RTD?

1. What is a current excitation source?

A current excitation source is a device or system that generates a controlled electrical current to stimulate or power other electronic components. It is often used in scientific experiments, industrial processes, and electronic devices.

2. How does a current excitation source work?

A current excitation source typically converts an input voltage into a precise and stable output current. This can be achieved through various methods such as using transistors, operational amplifiers, or specialized integrated circuits.

3. What are the applications of a current excitation source?

A current excitation source has a wide range of applications, including electroplating, chemical analysis, biological research, and electronic device testing. It is also commonly used in sensors, actuators, and other electronic control systems.

4. What are the benefits of using a current excitation source?

Using a current excitation source allows for precise control and measurement of electrical currents, which is essential in many scientific and industrial processes. It also helps to reduce noise and interference in electronic systems, leading to more accurate results.

5. Are there different types of current excitation sources?

Yes, there are various types of current excitation sources available, including DC sources, AC sources, pulse sources, and programmable sources. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.