How can I choose which is the most suitable method?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a suitable iterative method for a given equation and its roots. The options provided are to be evaluated based on their convergence and stability, with the goal of finding the most efficient method. The tutorial provided a criteria for proving convergence of a sequence and an approach using difference equations. However, the most obvious approach fails due to the root being a repulsive fixed point.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)
I have a question.
Given the equation $t(x)=x^{2}-3x-4=0$ which roots are $-1$ and $4$ , we are looking for a suitable iterative method $x_{n+1}=\varphi(x_{n}),n=0,1,2$ so that the sequence $(x_{n})$ converges to the root $4 \forall x_{0} \in [3,5] $.Which of the following would you choose?
1) $\varphi(x)=3+\frac{4}{x}$
2) $\varphi(x)=\frac{(x^2-4)}{3}$
3) $\varphi(x)=x^2-2x-4$
4) $\varphi(x)=\frac{(x^3-3x^2)}{4}$

How can I check which of the above is a suitable iterative method? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'll assume $\varphi$ is continuous, which I don't think it's a hindrance. You have a sequence $(x_n)$ which converges to the root 4, that means $\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = 4$. Since you want an iterative method, you will define it as $x_{n+1} = \varphi(x_n)$. Since $\varphi$ is continuous as I've said, this means that

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n+1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \varphi(x_n) = \varphi \left( \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \right),$$

or in other words

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n+1} = 4 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \varphi(x_n) = \varphi \left( \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \right) = \varphi(4).$$

Do you think you can take over from here? :)

Fantini said:
I'll assume $\varphi$ is continuous, which I don't think it's a hindrance. You have a sequence $(x_n)$ which converges to the root 4, that means $\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = 4$. Since you want an iterative method, you will define it as $x_{n+1} = \varphi(x_n)$. Since $\varphi$ is continuous as I've said, this means that

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n+1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \varphi(x_n) = \varphi \left( \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \right),$$

or in other words

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} x_{n+1} = 4 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \varphi(x_n) = \varphi \left( \lim_{n \to \infty} x_n \right) = \varphi(4).$$

Do you think you can take over from here? :)

In each case,I found $\varphi(4)=4$ How can I find then which is the suitable method?? :confused:

My math was wrong. I did calculations in my head and ended up mistaken. I thought that noting that $\varphi(4) =4$ would exclude a couple of possibilities. :p Let's hope someone else chimes in, as I'm not knowledgeable in iterative methods. Meanwhile, I'll try to search the answer.

Sorry. :(

See if $x_n$ converges for $x_0=5$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
See if $x_n$ converges for $x_0=5$.

Why do I have to check the convergence for $x_0=5$ ?

evinda said:
Why do I have to check the convergence for $x_0=5$ ?

evinda said:
we are looking for a suitable iterative method $x_{n+1}=\varphi(x_{n}),n=0,1,2$ so that the sequence $(x_{n})$ converges to the root $4 \forall x_{0} \in [3,5] $.
Because according to the problem statement the sequence must converge for every initial value $x_0\in[3,5]$, including $x_0=5$.

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)
I have a question.
Given the equation $t(x)=x^{2}-3x-4=0$ which roots are $-1$ and $4$ , we are looking for a suitable iterative method $x_{n+1}=\varphi(x_{n}),n=0,1,2$ so that the sequence $(x_{n})$ converges to the root $4 \forall x_{0} \in [3,5] $.Which of the following would you choose?
3) $\varphi(x)=x^2-2x-4$

I would pick the one with the smallest maximum absolute value of its derivative on the interval $[3,5]$. Then the Fixed Point Theorems can help you out. If my calculations are correct, 1) yields the smallest maximum absolute value of the derivative. It is my guess, then, that 1) will converge the quickest. Indeed, I am not at all sure that the other functions are guaranteed convergence.

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)
I have a question.
3) $\varphi(x)=x^2-2x-4$

Hey evinda! (Smile)

Can I assume that this question is intended to practice the concept of numerical stability?

If so, then you should take a look at what happens to an error in the neighborhood of x=4.
Suppose we have an error $\varepsilon$ in $x$ and we calculate the next iteration.
Will the error get bigger (numerically unstable) or smaller (numerically stable)?

Let me give an example.
If we pick \(\displaystyle \varphi(x) = \frac{(x^2-4)}{3}\) and introduce an error $\varepsilon$ we get:
$$\varphi(x+\varepsilon) = \frac{((x+\varepsilon)^2-4)}{3} = \frac{(x^2-4)}{3} + \frac 2 3 x \varepsilon + \mathcal O(\varepsilon^2)$$
Therefore the error in the next iteration is:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \frac 2 3 x \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$
Since we're interested in the root $x=4$ (with values of $|\varepsilon| \le 1$), we can substitute $x=4$:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \frac 2 3 \cdot 4 \cdot \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$
Since $|\frac 2 3 \cdot 4| > 1$, we can tell that the process is numerically unstable around $x=4$.
That is, an error in the input will grow iteration by iteration, meaning it diverges from the root.

More generally, we're looking at:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \varphi(x+\varepsilon_i) - \varphi(x) = \varphi'(x) \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$

Do you see what you should do?

The precise criteria to prove convergence of a sequence $x_{n}$ obeying the difference equation $\displaystyle x_{n+1} = \varphi (x_{n}),\ x_{0}= a$ is described in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426.html#post2492

The most obvious way to find one of the roots of the equation $\displaystyle f(x)= x^{2} - 3\ x - 4 =0$ is to write the difference equation...

$\displaystyle \Delta_{n} = x_{n+1} - x_{n} = f(x_{n}) = x^{2}_{n} - 3\ x_{n} - 4\ (1)$ ... which corresponds to the option 3). This approach however fails because, as explained in the tutorial, x=4 is a repulsive fixed point, so that the sequence converges to 4 only for $\displaystyle x_{0}= 4$... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Because according to the problem statement the sequence must converge for every initial value $x_0\in[3,5]$, including $x_0=5$.

So do I have to find for each method $x_{1},x_{2},x_{3},x_{4},...$ to check if $4$ appears?

- - - Updated - - -

Ackbach said:
I would pick the one with the smallest maximum absolute value of its derivative on the interval $[3,5]$. Then the Fixed Point Theorems can help you out. If my calculations are correct, 1) yields the smallest maximum absolute value of the derivative. It is my guess, then, that 1) will converge the quickest. Indeed, I am not at all sure that the other functions are guaranteed convergence.

I found that the function $\varphi=3+\frac{4}{x}$ has the smallest maximum absolute value..Do you think that this is the suitable method?

Could you explain me how you got to this equation? :eek:

I like Serena said:
Therefore the error in the next iteration is:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \frac 2 3 x \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$
Since we're interested in the root $x=4$ (with values of $|\varepsilon| \le 1$), we can substitute $x=4$:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \frac 2 3 \cdot 4 \cdot \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$
Since $|\frac 2 3 \cdot 4| > 1$, we can tell that the process is numerically unstable around $x=4$.
That is, an error in the input will grow iteration by iteration, meaning it diverges from the root.

More generally, we're looking at:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \varphi(x+\varepsilon_i) - \varphi(x) = \varphi'(x) \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$

Do you see what you should do?

evinda said:
Could you explain me how you got to this equation? :eek:

We have the algorithm:
$$x_{i+1} = \varphi(x_i)$$

Now suppose that $\varepsilon_i$ is the error in $x_i$ with respect to the actual root $x$.
That means that $x_i = x + \varepsilon_i$ and $x_{i+1} = x + \varepsilon_{i+1}$.

Then substituting gives us:
$$x + \varepsilon_{i+1} = \varphi(x + \varepsilon_i)$$
From Taylor's theorem we know that:
$$\varphi(x + \varepsilon_i) = \varphi(x) + \varphi'(x) \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$
And since $x$ is the root, we also know that:
$$\varphi(x) = x$$

In other words:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \varphi'(x) \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$

This is guaranteed to diverge if $|\varphi'(x)| > 1$ where $x$ is the actual root.
So if $|\varphi'(4)| > 1$, you have a diverging algorithm.

evinda said:
I found that the function $\varphi=3+\frac{4}{x}$ has the smallest maximum absolute value..Do you think that this is the suitable method?

Assuming you meant that $3+4/x$ has the smallest possible maximum absolute value of its derivative, then yep!

evinda said:
So do I have to find for each method $x_{1},x_{2},x_{3},x_{4},...$ to check if $4$ appears?
4 may never appear; that's why it's called a limit. But if you calculate several initial values, you can see that the sequence rapidly grows except in the case of $\varphi$ from 1). The same is seen from the graphs (the picture is clickable):

[GRAPH]ig9m08odka[/GRAPH]

It should not be hard to prove algebraically that every $\varphi$ except the first one increases unboundedly after $x=4$, and so the sequence that starts with $x_0=5$ tends to infinity.

I like Serena said:
We have the algorithm:
$$x_{i+1} = \varphi(x_i)$$

Now suppose that $\varepsilon_i$ is the error in $x_i$ with respect to the actual root $x$.
That means that $x_i = x + \varepsilon_i$ and $x_{i+1} = x + \varepsilon_{i+1}$.

Then substituting gives us:
$$x + \varepsilon_{i+1} = \varphi(x + \varepsilon_i)$$
From Taylor's theorem we know that:
$$\varphi(x + \varepsilon_i) = \varphi(x) + \varphi'(x) \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$
And since $x$ is the root, we also know that:
$$\varphi(x) = x$$

In other words:
$$\varepsilon_{i+1} = \varphi'(x) \varepsilon_i + \mathcal O(\varepsilon_i^2)$$

This is guaranteed to diverge if $|\varphi'(x)| > 1$ where $x$ is the actual root.
So if $|\varphi'(4)| > 1$, you have a diverging algorithm.

I understand...Thanks a lot! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ackbach said:
Assuming you meant that $3+4/x$ has the smallest possible maximum absolute value of its derivative, then yep!

Great!Thank you very much! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Evgeny.Makarov said:
4 may never appear; that's why it's called a limit. But if you calculate several initial values, you can see that the sequence rapidly grows except in the case of $\varphi$ from 1). The same is seen from the graphs (the picture is clickable):

[GRAPH]ig9m08odka[/GRAPH]

It should not be hard to prove algebraically that every $\varphi$ except the first one increases unboundedly after $x=4$, and so the sequence that starts with $x_0=5$ tends to infinity.

I see..Thanks a lot! :p

Related to How can I choose which is the most suitable method?

1. How do I determine which method is the most suitable for my experiment?

Choosing the most suitable method for your experiment depends on several factors such as the research question, available resources, and the type of data you are trying to collect. It is important to carefully consider these factors and select a method that will provide the most accurate and reliable results.

2. What are the different types of methods that I can choose from?

There are several types of methods that can be used in research, including experimental, observational, survey, and qualitative methods. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to understand the differences and choose the one that best fits your research goals.

3. How do I know if a certain method is appropriate for my research question?

The best way to determine if a method is appropriate for your research question is to thoroughly review the literature and consult with experts in your field. They can provide valuable insights and help you select the most appropriate method for your study.

4. Are there any ethical considerations that I should keep in mind when choosing a research method?

Yes, there are ethical considerations that should be taken into account when choosing a research method. These include protecting the rights and welfare of participants, obtaining informed consent, and maintaining confidentiality. It is important to ensure that your chosen method aligns with ethical guidelines and regulations.

5. What are some common mistakes that researchers make when choosing a research method?

Some common mistakes that researchers make when choosing a research method include not considering all available options, using a method that is not suitable for their research question, and not thoroughly understanding the limitations and biases of the chosen method. It is important to carefully evaluate all aspects of a method before making a decision.