How can I calculate the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix?

In summary: This is related to the relationships you mention, but it is not the same.In summary, the problem involves finding the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix. This can be done by first transforming the matrix into a diagonal form using a rotation matrix, and then taking the exponential of the diagonal matrix. The final result will be a matrix with cosine and sine terms, as shown in the intended end result.
maximus123
Hello,

I have a problem where I'm given the following

[itex]H=-\frac{\hbar\Omega}{2}\sigma_x\quad\quad\quad\textrm{and}\quad\quad\quad\Psi(0)=\left|0\right\rangle\quad[/itex]
Where

[itex]\sigma_x=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1\\1&0\end{pmatrix}\quad\quad\quad\textrm{and}\quad\quad\quad\left|0\right\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
And in general

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[-i\frac{H}{\hbar}t\right]\Psi(0)[/itex]
So

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex]
The problem is I need to get from here to

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\\i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}\\\\\\
\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\,\,\,\,=\begin{pmatrix}cos(\Omega t/2)\\isin(\Omega t/2)\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

I can't work out how to get to this cos and sine matrix. I tried this

[itex]\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\left\lbrace\textrm{cos}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right)+i\textrm{sin}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right)\right\rbrace\left|0\right\rangle\\\\
\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad=\left\lbrace\textrm{cos}\begin{pmatrix}0 & \frac{\Omega t}{2}\\\frac{\Omega t}{2} & 0\end{pmatrix}+i\textrm{sin}\begin{pmatrix}0 & \frac{\Omega t}{2}\\\frac{\Omega t}{2} & 0\end{pmatrix}\right\rbrace\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Beyond this I cannot see how to get from here to

[itex]\begin{pmatrix}\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\\i\textrm{sin}(\Omega t/2)\,\,\,&\textrm{cos}(\Omega t/2)\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
Any help would be really appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
There might be more than one way to approach the problem, but I would proceed thus. You can calculate the exponential of a matrix easily if the matrix is diagonal. For
$$
A = \left( \begin{array}{cc} a_1 & 0 \\ 0 & a_2 \end{array} \right)
$$
$$
\exp(A) = \left( \begin{array}{cc} e^{a_1} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{a_2} \end{array} \right)
$$
Can you find the rotation that brings you from the z-basis to the x-basis?

Thanks for responding,

So based on what you've said for the exponential of a matrix the expression in my original post would become

[itex]
\Psi(t)=\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\sigma_x\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\textrm{exp}\left[\begin{pmatrix}0 & i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\\i\frac{\Omega t}{2} & 0\end{pmatrix}\right]\left|0\right\rangle=\begin{pmatrix}0 & \textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right]\\\textrm{exp}\left[i\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right] & 0\end{pmatrix}\left|0\right\rangle\\\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad=\begin{pmatrix}0 & \textrm{cos}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right)+i\textrm{sin}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right)\\\textrm{cos}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right)+i\textrm{sin}\left(\frac{\Omega t}{2}\right) & 0\end{pmatrix}\left|0\right\rangle

[/itex]

is that correct? It doesn't seem much closer to the intended end result.

When you asked about the rotation are you referring to the relationships [itex]\sigma_y\sigma_z=-i\sigma_x[/itex] etc.?

Last edited:
Calculating the exponential of a matrix by taking the exponential of the elements only works for a diagonal matrix. You can show this by considering the series expansion of the exponential function.

You do not have a diagonal matrix, this is why I said you need to look at the rotation matrix that will bring you from the z basis to the x basis, in which ##\sigma_x## is diagonal.

Related to How can I calculate the exponential of a non-diagonal matrix?

What are qubits and how do they differ from classical bits?

Qubits, or quantum bits, are the fundamental unit of quantum information. They differ from classical bits because they can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition, allowing for more complex and powerful computations.

What is quantum evolution and how does it relate to qubits?

Quantum evolution refers to the process of a quantum system changing over time. This is closely related to qubits because they are the building blocks of quantum systems and their properties, such as superposition, play a crucial role in how they evolve.

How are qubits used in quantum computing?

Qubits are the basis for quantum computing, as they allow for complex calculations to be performed in parallel and at a much faster rate than classical computers. They are used to store and manipulate information in quantum algorithms, making quantum computers more powerful than traditional computers.

What is entanglement and how is it related to qubits?

Entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more qubits become correlated and share a connection, even when physically separated. This allows for the manipulation of one qubit to affect the state of the other, making it a valuable resource in quantum computing.

What are some challenges in the development of quantum computers using qubits?

One of the biggest challenges is maintaining the delicate quantum states of qubits, which can easily be disrupted by external interference. Another challenge is scaling up the number of qubits, as the more qubits there are, the more difficult it becomes to control and read their states accurately. Additionally, qubits are prone to errors due to their sensitivity to noise and environmental changes.