How Can I Calculate Negative Multiplication Without Following Traditional Rules?

pyroclasticsoul
Do NOT delete your Original Post after you have received replies and help
TL;DR Summary
Negative times positive
Say I have 6 pencils. I want to times this by negative two. Now ignoring the rules that your teacher taught you work this out. 6 pencils negative 2 times. Negative one time would be 0 and another negative times would be -6 right? So 6 x - 2 = -6 according to simple logic. The calculator will say -12 but if I took 6 away from 6 3 times that would be -12.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pyroclasticsoul said:
TL;DR Summary: Negative times positive

Say I have 6 pencils. I want to times this by negative two. Now ignoring the rules that your teacher taught you work this out. 6 pencils negative 2 times. Negative one time would be 0 and another negative times would be -6 right? So 6 x - 2 = -6 according to simple logic. The calculator will say -12 but if I took 6 away from 6 3 times that would be -12.
No. You started out with 6. "I have 6 pencils." You're describing 6 + -2x6 which equals -6.

If you had started out with zero, then the final answer would indeed be -12.

Likes fresh_42
DaveC426913 said:
No. You started out with 6. "I have 6 pencils." You're describing 6 + -2x6 which equals -6.

If you had started out with zero, then the final answer would indeed be -12.
I thought about that but why do I start with 0 and not 6 since 6 is the number adjusted by -2.

pyroclasticsoul said:
why do I start with 0

Read the problem statement you wrote.

"I have 6 pencils"

The problem starts at +6 pencils.

Note -- the OP deleted their first post after getting help from Dave. This is not allowed. The OP text is restored and this thread is now closed.

Likes SammyS, Bystander and topsquark