How can I build a dehumidifier?

In summary, building a dehumidifier using refridgerative coils is possible, but for a simple and cheap solution, you could try using a thermoelectric cooler with heatsinks. However, the efficiency of this method may not be as effective as using a store-bought dehumidifier. It is important to know the dew point of the air and how much humidity needs to be removed in order to determine the size and power requirements of the dehumidifier. While it may be possible to extract water from the air for irrigation purposes, it would require large flow rates and significant energy costs.
Mk
I would like to build a dehumidifier. I don't even know where to start. I read that refridgerative coils are use in mechanical dehumidifiers. How should I go about doing this, or is it inviable?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question76.htm

For a very simple solution, I might try using a thermoelectric cooler in conjunction with a pair of heatsinks. Blow air over the cold side of the TEC to remove humidity (water condenses on the cold heat sink, and can drip down into a collection tray) and then blow the air over the hot side of the TEC to heat it back up. While TEC's are ineffiecient, they are simple and cheap, compared to trying to build your own refrigeration system.

It would be useful to know what the dew point is of the air your dehumidifying; as this information will determine how cold the TEC has to get. You would be able to get the necessary information off of a psychometric chart.

Also, how much humidity do you want to remove?

Last edited:
How much dehumidification do you want, how much do you want to spend, and how much "building" are we talking about and why? A store-bought dehumidifier is basically the same device as a store-bought window air conditioner, just in a different package and with a tank.

How much water could be extrated from the air... could a large enough dehumidifier be used for irrigation purposes?

smackdammer said:
How much water could be extrated from the air... could a large enough dehumidifier be used for irrigation purposes?

It all depends on how much humidity is in the air to start with, and what you're trying to irrigate, and how big your dehumidifier is. On the coast it might be possible to get a few gallons per day with a relatively small unit (but probably not more easily or cheaply than desalination). Inland in arid environments it's doubtful there would be enough water in the air to do anything useful, even with a very large flow rate.

An easy way to find properties of air and water is a psychrometric chart (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychrometrics). Take for example this one:

PsychrometricChart-SeaLevel-SI.jpg

So if you know a few values of the air, such as the temperature and relative humidity, you can easily look up the amount of water in the air in terms of grams water per gram air. Knowing the specific mass of water in the air, and how much water you're wanting to produce, you can calculate what the flow rate of air through your dehumidifier would have to be. For a humid environment it could be within the realm of possibility; for an arid climate I doubt it will be possible without very large flow rates and a lot of power.

Hope this helps.

Example: A typical 100% outside air AC unit in Pennsylvania will be sized for a peak of 92F at a 68F dewpoint and can cool the air to 55/55, for a capacity of 15.2 BTU/lb of air at an input power of 1 kW per ton of cooling (12,000 btu/hr). With that 15.2 BTU/lb of air, you remove 0.015 lb of water from the air or 11.8 lb of water per hour per ton of cooling.

From the first google link on the subject, I find that irrigating 1 acre of land requires on the order of 8,000 gallons of water per day. 8000 gallons is 67,000 lb per day or 2800 lb per hour. And that's 237 tons or 237 kW. At Pennsylvania residential costs, that would be about $850 per acre per day. That's an awful lot of money/energy.

Related to How can I build a dehumidifier?

What is a dehumidifier and how does it work?

A dehumidifier is a device that removes excess moisture from the air. It works by drawing in air from the surrounding environment and passing it over a cold coil. This causes the moisture in the air to condense and collect in a tank or drain. The dry air is then released back into the room.

What materials do I need to build a dehumidifier?

The materials you will need to build a dehumidifier include a fan, a cold coil, a tank or drain for collecting moisture, a power source, and some type of housing or casing to hold the components together.

How do I assemble the components to build a dehumidifier?

First, you will need to attach the fan to the cold coil, which can usually be done with screws or clips. Next, connect the power source to the fan. Then, place the cold coil and fan assembly inside the housing or casing, making sure it is secure. Finally, attach the tank or drain to the bottom of the housing to collect the condensed moisture.

Do I need any special skills or tools to build a dehumidifier?

Building a dehumidifier requires basic knowledge of electronics and some basic tools such as a screwdriver and wire cutters. It is also helpful to have access to a soldering iron and a multimeter to test the connections.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a dehumidifier?

Yes, it is important to always disconnect the power source before working on the dehumidifier. Make sure all components are properly insulated and secured to avoid any electrical hazards. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain the dehumidifier to prevent any potential fire hazards.