How can I build a broadband ISP by myself ?

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Isp
In summary: Depends on the density.About a decade ago a company in the San Francisco bay area called Metricom developed a low cost transmitter/receiver that could be plugged into lantern posts, they were one of the first companies who provided a wireless internet solution... they went bankrupt though.In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of building a broadband ISP with high speeds of up to 100 Mb/s. The requirements for such a project would include laying cables, building exchanges, and purchasing expensive equipment and IP addresses. The estimated cost would be in the millions to billions of euros and would require years of experience and expertise. Furthermore, the topic of using wireless technology was also briefly mentioned, but it was noted that it would still require significant investment
ngkamsengpeter
My country highiest broadband speed is only 2 Mb/s but I heard that some country has up to 100 Mb/s broadband speed . So, I wondered if I can become an isp with such speed but I don't know how ?
Do I need to have a lot of ip ?
What is the hardware/software requirement ? A
nyone can give me the details of building a broadband isp .

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yeap anything is possible.

First up, you will need to dig huge trenches to lay cables throughout your country, then lay the cables. Alternatively you could hire bandwidth on existing cables from an already establish provider who is also acting as a wholesaler. Costing you Millions to Billions of Euro's depending on what you want

Next you will need to build what we call POP's or Exchanges at strategic locations through out your country, probably you could house your Millions of Euros worth of equipment in existing Telecom companies point of presences, or you could build out your own.

The you will need to create your core layer of equipment, something like ATM over Fiber, or whatever you choose, with very expensive Routers and Multi-layer switches. You will then need to contract with An Internet Exchange to use an exchange, or alternatively invest millions more in starting your own one. At the internet exchange you will route traffic between your ISP and other ISPs.

You will also need to buy a block of IP address from interNIC to use around your network.

You will also need to hire 100 of engineers to set up all this for you and maintain it after.

This project of yours will involve millions of Euros (maybe even more if you want to start from scratch) of Investment, and years to complete. Not to mention years of experience to understand the requirements and more to competently implement the deliverables.

Good luck :smile:

Last edited:
Anttech said:
Yeap anything is possible.

First up, you will need to dig huge trenches to lay cables throughout your country, then lay the cables. Alternatively you could hire bandwidth on existing cables from an already establish provider who is also acting as a wholesaler. Costing you Millions to Billions of Euro's depending on what you want

Next you will need to build what we call POP's or Exchanges at strategic locations through out your country, probably you could house your Millions of Euros worth of equipment in existing Telecom companies point of presences, or you could build out your own.

The you will need to create your core layer of equipment, something like ATM over Fiber, or whatever you choose, with very expensive Routers and Multi-layer switches. You will then need to contract with An Internet Exchange to use an exchange, or alternatively invest millions more in starting your own one. At the internet exchange you will route traffic between your ISP and other ISPs.

You will also need to buy a block of IP address from interNIC to use around your network.

You will also need to hire 100 of engineers to set up all this for you and maintain it after.

This project of yours will involve millions of Euros (maybe even more if you want to start from scratch) of Investment, and years to complete. Not to mention years of experience to understand the requirements and more to competently implement the deliverables.

Good luck :smile:
If I want to build a wireless broadband ,then do I nedd to lay the cables ?

ngkamsengpeter said:
If I want to build a wireless broadband ,then do I nedd to lay the cables ?

No but now you need several quarter billion dollar satellites :biggrin:

Latency is to high on Satellites, not very good for converged networks. I would suggest he starts digging :biggrin:

And yes you would still need to lay cables at your core layer, and from your radio stations to your core, even if you want to use Wireless for the last mile. On top of that most Frequencies are used/or patented I believe.

Regardless you will need to invest Millions and Millions of Euros.

I would suggest you plant both your feet back on Earth, buy some books and read about Internetworking, and telecoms because this is crackpot stuff.

Last edited:
Anttech said:
Latency is to high on Satellites, not very good for converged networks. I would suggest he starts digging :biggrin:
Yeah, but it would probably save him money if he could just lease the bandwidth from an existing satellite provider and then do wi-fi for the last mile. I'm sure he could do it pretty cheap: certainly not much more than a billion dollars. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I've been considering building a low-latency satellite network by using a few dozen satellites in low Earth orbit rather than a handful of satellites in geostationary. I could use some start-up capital...

Last edited:
ngkamsengpeter said:
My country highiest broadband speed is only 2 Mb/s but I heard that some country has up to 100 Mb/s broadband speed . So, I wondered if I can become an isp with such speed but I don't know how ?
Do I need to have a lot of ip ?
What is the hardware/software requirement ? A
nyone can give me the details of building a broadband isp .
What is the country are you living in?

russ_watters said:
Yeah, but it would probably save him money if he could just lease the bandwidth from an existing satellite provider and then do wi-fi for the last mile. I'm sure he could do it pretty cheap: certainly not much more than a billion dollars. :rolleyes:
High Speed Wireless Broadband in the US is mainly provided through cellular towers, not satellite, again millions to billions of dollars depending on the geographic territory.

Evo said:
High Speed Wireless Broadband in the US is mainly provided through cellular towers, not satellite, again millions to billions of dollars depending on the geographic territory.
Depends on the density.
About a decade ago a company in the San Francisco bay area called Metricom developed a low cost transmitter/receiver that could be plugged into lantern posts, they were one of the first companies who provided a wireless internet solution network.

In the US, the two major highspeed wireless braodband companies are Sprint and Verizon with around 75 million subscribers. It's cellular.

If I just want to provide wireless brodband in a school or in a range of several meters only , what do i need . And please suggest a few book on how to build an isp for me . Actually what determine the speed of an internet connection ?

If you already have a wired broadband connection to the school, you just need a wireless router...

If you want to be an ISP, you'll need to buy access to the internet that you will then resell to subscribers. Depending on how many subscirbers you think you can get and how much bandwidth you want to guarantee them, etc...I've seen ISP's that will subscribe as many as 300 customers to single T1 (1.544MB). They oversubscribe counting on the fact that not all customers will connect at the same time, which is why if you use an ISP that resells service you see your connection slow down during peak connections times. You're going to need equipment - routers and switches. You're going to need to know what you're doing, good luck reading that in a book. I am sure there must be some, why don't you try doing a search in something like google?

Russ answered your question about providing wireless service to a campus envirronment, once you have a company install your connection to the internet (which is not free), you then need the appropriate equipment.

Actually what determine the speed of an internet connection ?
The amount of bandwidth delivered to you by the company you buy from is determined by what speed you order, it is as simple as that. You want a T1, they'll give you a T1 (of course if you buy from a reseller, it is unlikely they will actually guarantee you a T1, you will actually share that connection with other subscribers), be wary of bargain "deals".

Once you get internet access, the amount of bandwidth you carve out and deliver to your subscribers will be controlled by your equipment.

I work for a company that is an internet backbone provider. My largest clients are ISP's and telephone companies.

Last edited:
Actually what determine the speed of an internet connection ?

Speed is a combination of Bandwidth and Latency.

Bandwidth is the rate that data can optimally flow across a network, (but never does).

Latency is the time between a service request and Service Delivery, or rather an information request and its delivery.

FedEx is currently the fastest, I've seen them move TB's > 5000 Miles between LA and Europe over night. In theory they could move EB's this distance too, infact as many Bytes as you can fit in their 747's :biggrin:

Anttech said:
Speed is a combination of Bandwidth and Latency.

Bandwidth is the rate that data can optimally flow across a network, (but never does).

Latency is the time between a service request and Service Delivery, or rather an information request and its delivery.

FedEx is currently the fastest, I've seen them move TB's > 5000 Miles between LA and Europe over night. In theory they could move EB's this distance too, infact as many Bytes as you can fit in their 747's :biggrin:
I think he was asking how the bandwidth speed would be determined if he were to act as an ISP, not how fast data can theoretically travel.

If you just want to play with speed tests, In 2003, my company was part of a test that was able to send 1 terabyte of data from Sunnyvale, Calif., to Geneva at a sustained rate of 2.38G bit/sec for more than one hour, said Harvey Newman, a professor of physics at Caltech. This speed beats the current record by a factor of 2.5and is equivalent to the data rate needed to send 200 full length DVD movies in one hour or one movie in 18 seconds.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2003/0317reseasetd.html

The speed is limited by the hardware at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
if I want to build an high speed isp(10Mbps) from scratch ,not buying anything from existing isp or any company , and it is for 100 customer only .how many budget I need ? What is an exchange ?

You need Billions of Euros

What is an exchange ?Is it my computer need to have internet connection first before I can become an ISP.Then how can my computer have internet connection without using any other ISP services?

No an Internet exchange is a place where different AS (autonomous systems) exchange traffic with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_exchange_point

Its like a crossroad on the internet, which facilitates far faster layer3 switching between AS, using BGP than that which would be enabled through using a "in-between" AS. Plus I doubt an AS would allow you to do that, without billing you heavily.

Your *computer* can't have an internet connection without using an ISP.

Maybe you can send the London INX an email asking if you can plug your computer into there network :biggrin: just a thought
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Internet_Exchange

Last edited:
Anttech said:
No an Internet exchange is a place where different AS (autonomous systems) exchange traffic with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_exchange_point

Its like a crossroad on the internet, which facilitates far faster layer3 switching between AS, using BGP than that which would be enabled through using a "in-between" AS. Plus I doubt an AS would allow you to do that, without billing you heavily.

Your *computer* can't have an internet connection without using an ISP.

Maybe you can send the London INX an email asking if you can plug your computer into there network :biggrin: just a thought
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Internet_Exchange

Then how an isp can have the internet connection without using other isp services . If the isp don't have any internet connection first , how can they distribute the internet connection to their user ?

Related to How can I build a broadband ISP by myself ?

1. How much technical knowledge do I need to build a broadband ISP by myself?

Building a broadband ISP requires a high level of technical knowledge and expertise. You will need to have a strong understanding of networking, internet protocols, server management, and hardware installation. It is recommended to have a degree in computer science or a related field, or at least several years of experience in the IT industry.

2. What equipment do I need to build a broadband ISP?

To build a broadband ISP, you will need a variety of equipment including servers, routers, switches, cables, and modems. You will also need to purchase a high-speed internet connection from a larger ISP to provide internet access to your customers. Additionally, you may need to invest in software for network management and billing.

3. Is it financially feasible to build a broadband ISP by myself?

Building a broadband ISP can be a costly endeavor. In addition to the equipment and software costs, you will also need to consider expenses such as licensing fees, marketing, and ongoing maintenance and support. It is important to carefully evaluate your budget and potential revenue before embarking on this project.

4. Do I need any special permits or licenses to build a broadband ISP?

The requirements for permits and licenses vary depending on your location. Some areas may require you to obtain a business license or permit to operate an ISP. You may also need to comply with regulations from government agencies such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). It is important to research and understand the legal requirements in your area before starting your broadband ISP.

5. How do I attract and retain customers for my broadband ISP?

To attract and retain customers for your broadband ISP, you will need to offer competitive pricing, reliable service, and excellent customer support. You may also want to consider offering additional services such as phone or television packages to appeal to a wider audience. Marketing and advertising strategies can also help to increase awareness and attract new customers to your ISP.