How can I accurately calculate distance using sound and various variables?

• Thread starter L1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: So, given the initial conditions and taking into account the time it takes for the sound to return to the boat, the depth of the ocean at that point is 2.02 s + 2.17 s= 4.33 s.
L1988
Two questions:
1. A sailor strikes the side of his ship just below the waterline. He hears the echo of the sound reflected from the ocean floor directly below 2.02 s later. How deep is the ocean at this point?

I assumed this used distance = speed x time. I knew that speed must equal the speed of sound in water, which I think is 1500 m/s (pretty sure, but not 100%) and I also divided my final distance by 2 so that I only got the distance of depth one way. However, the computer (this is online homework) said I was wrong, so I'm not sure where I went wrong. Any help would probably help me with the next problem too.

A rescue plane flies horizontally at a constant speed searching for a disabled boat. When the plane is directly above the boat, the boat's crew blows a loud horn. By the time the plane's sound detector perceives the horn's sound, the plane has traveled a distance equal to one half its altitude above the ocean. If it takes the sound 2.17 s to reach the plane, determine the altitude of the plane. Take the speed of sound to be 350 m/s.

Just like last time, I assumed that I should use

distance= speed of sound x time

with a new speed (350 m/s), new time, and this time distance doesn't have to be divided by 2. However, that got me the wrong answer.

Then I tried drawing a triangle, (since the plane has moved) and called my final distance r^2 and my x^2 = one half its altitude, so all that was left was y^2. This also was incorrect.

Where am I making a mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Your reasoning and formulation is correct on this problem. I would suggest working it again and checking all your units, if it still marks it wrong I imagine the key is incorrect.

2. The key to this question does indeed involve triangles. And I am almost certain it has something to do with the fact that the plane makes a right triangle in which the short leg is one half the length of the long. But I can't for the life of me remember what that means. Hopefully this helps and I'm sure someone with a better memory will be along soon to help. for what its worth here's a sketch of how I picture the situation:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13740&stc=1&d=1209349520
rescue.jpg

Attachments

• rescue.jpg
    rescue.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 621
On question 1, the sound waves travel to the ocean surface, then travel back to the boat.
Going down, gravity acts, which means you need an equation for constantly accelerating motion (y,yo,.5gt^2 etc).
Going up, you can apply the simple velocity equation t=d/v. Using this information in combination with the first equation and the information given, you can solve for "d".

Related to How can I accurately calculate distance using sound and various variables?

What is the principle behind finding distance with sound?

The principle behind finding distance with sound is based on the speed of sound and the time it takes for sound waves to travel a certain distance. By measuring the time it takes for sound to travel from the source to the receiver, the distance can be calculated using the speed of sound.

How is the speed of sound determined?

The speed of sound is determined by several factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. In general, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second in dry air at room temperature.

What are the limitations of using sound to measure distance?

One limitation of using sound to measure distance is that it can only be used in environments where sound can travel, such as air or water. Additionally, obstacles or changes in the medium can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

What are some real-life applications of finding distance with sound?

Finding distance with sound has various real-life applications, such as in sonar technology used in navigation, depth finding, and fish detection in the ocean. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to measure distances within the body.

Can sound be used to measure distance in space?

No, sound cannot be used to measure distance in space as there is no medium for sound to travel through. In space, other methods such as radio waves or light are used to calculate distances.