How can air density be accurately calculated at different altitudes?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the air density at different altitudes using the formula D1/D2 = 4*p1/p2, where p represents the air density at each height. The individual is asked how to calculate p and suggests using linear estimation, but is then given air density values for 10 and 5km and asked to find the values for 15 and 7.5km. The conversation then shifts to discussing modeling the atmosphere as an exponential function and creating a graph of log-density vs altitude. Ultimately, it is determined that a linear fit works best for the given data, but it is acknowledged that this is not how the real atmosphere behaves.
Addez123
Homework Statement
A plane flies at a height of 15km with velocity of 1200km/h.
Another plane flies at half that speed and altitude.

Air density at 10km is .38
Air density at 5km is .67

Assume they have same cross section area A and drag coefficient C.
Calculate the ratio of the dragforce of the two planes.
Relevant Equations
D = 1/2 * CpA*v^2
Just calculating D1 (15km altitude plane) and D2 (7.5km altitude plane) turns out to;
D1/D2 = 4*p1/p2
p being the air density at each height.

How am I suppose to calculate p? We have had no such formulas, not to mention it depends on temprature etc.
Doing a linear estimation will yield wrong answer.

Correct answer is 3.3

Physics news on Phys.org
Addez123 said:
How am I suppose to calculate p?
You are given ##\rho##.
The problem statement said:
Air density at 10km is .38
Air density at 5km is .67

I'm given air density for 10 and 5km. I need air density for 15 and 7.5km.

Addez123 said:
I'm given air density for 10 and 5km. I need air density for 15 and 7.5km.
Ahah. That makes more sense.

Suppose that you model the atmospheric density as an exponential function of altitude. If a 5 km delta in height results in a factor of ##\frac{0.38}{0.67}## reduction in density, What ratio would one expect for a 7.5 km delta?

I seriously doubt we're ment to estimate an exponential function. That's more of a math question, this is suppose to be fundamental physics. Appriciate the suggestion tho!

Addez123 said:
I seriously doubt we're ment to estimate an exponential function. That's more of a math question, this is suppose to be fundamental physics. Appriciate the suggestion tho!
You've never been set a problem with radioactive half-lives?

Make a graph of log-density vs altitude. Don’t forget to include density 1 at z = 0. It should be virtually a straight line.

Chestermiller said:
Make a graph of log-density vs altitude. Don’t forget to include density 1 at z = 0. It should be virtually a straight line.
Interesting. For these figures, it is not even close to a straight line.

jbriggs444 said:
Interesting. For these figures, it is not even close to a straight line.
You're right. For this data, a liner fit seems to work best. Of course, that's now how the real atmosphere works.

Related to How can air density be accurately calculated at different altitudes?

What is the formula for calculating the density of air?

The formula for calculating the density of air is density = mass / volume, where mass is measured in kilograms (kg) and volume is measured in cubic meters (m3).

What is the standard temperature and pressure used for calculating the density of air?

The standard temperature and pressure used for calculating the density of air is 15 degrees Celsius (288.15 Kelvin) and 101.325 kilopascals (kPa), respectively.

How does altitude affect the density of air?

As altitude increases, the density of air decreases. This is because as altitude increases, the air molecules spread out and there are fewer molecules in a given volume, resulting in a lower density.

What are the units for density of air?

The units for density of air can vary, but are typically measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3), grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3), or pounds per cubic foot (lb/ft3).

What factors can affect the density of air?

The density of air can be affected by temperature, pressure, and humidity. Changes in these factors can cause the air molecules to either move closer together or spread out, resulting in a change in density.