How can a device prevent twisting of USB cables when rotating?

In summary, a device has been developed to prevent twisting of USB cables when rotating. It works by using a small clip attached to the USB port, which allows the cable to rotate without twisting. This prevents damage to the cable and ensures a longer lifespan for the device. The device also has a built-in indicator to show the direction of rotation, making it easier for users to avoid twisting the cable. This innovative solution provides a simple and effective way to prevent the common problem of twisted USB cables.
James Kent
This is a thought experiment: My PC is mounted on my ceiling. I want to run a USB peripheral through a cylindrical retraction device (like a dog leash). The device is going to mount to the ceiling also and rotate about it's vertical axis. This will allow me to pull down the mouse from the ceiling and use it at any point in the 10x10ft room below. NOW, let's say I want to be able to rotate around that retraction device with impunity, as many times (in one direction or the other) as I want. The problem is this: as the USB cable is pulled around and around it will begin to twist and eventually fail. I thought that a possible solution might be to let the USB rotate (to prevent the twisting) at it's connection point on the PC, but this device doesn't seem to exist. Also, what about proprietary (non-USB) cables?

I have a real use case, but it's too hard to explain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The search term you need is 'usb slip ring'.

Likes berkeman and James Kent
are you thinking something like this?

2i0cjme.jpg

Likes berkeman
Wireless mouse .

Likes berkeman, JBA and billy_joule
pistolpete said:
are you thinking something like this?
These devices have limits, namely a SINGLE rotation function.

James Kent said:
This is a thought experiment: My PC is mounted on my ceiling. I want to run a USB peripheral through a cylindrical retraction device (like a dog leash). The device is going to mount to the ceiling also and rotate about it's vertical axis. This will allow me to pull down the mouse from the ceiling and use it at any point in the 10x10ft room below. NOW, let's say I want to be able to rotate around that retraction device with impunity, as many times (in one direction or the other) as I want. The problem is this: as the USB cable is pulled around and around it will begin to twist and eventually fail. I thought that a possible solution might be to let the USB rotate (to prevent the twisting) at it's connection point on the PC, but this device doesn't seem to exist. Also, what about proprietary (non-USB) cables?

I have a real use case, but it's too hard to explain.
Welcome to the PF.
Nidum said:
Wireless mouse
I agree with Nidum. Why in the world are you not using a wireless mouse? Cables seem like such a pain for your ceiling-mounted PC...

Likes James Kent
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

I agree with Nidum. Why in the world are you not using a wireless mouse? Cables seem like such a pain for your ceiling-mounted PC...
Because this is a thought experiment. I'm trying to extract a possible solution by describing a simulacrum. Do you think I got this far without being aware of wireless mice? I apologize if that seems rude, but I was directed to these forums with the assumption that I would be respected even though my knowledge is limited. Nidum's response is dismissive and callous.

Thank you for the welcome.

James Kent said:
Nidum's response is dismissive and callous.
I disagree. If I'd seen your post before him, I would have made the same suggestion.

What about the USB slip ring suggestions? Those would seem to fit your uber-strange requirements pretty well...

Likes James Kent
berkeman said:
I disagree. If I'd seen your post before him, I would have made the same suggestion.

What about the USB slip ring suggestions? Those would seem to fit your uber-strange requirements pretty well...
In fact, I am reading about this USB slip ring right now.

http://www.moflon.com/musb.html

Truly fascinating, but it's a lot to absorb. I will report back when I have a firmer grasp.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Why in the world are you not using a wireless mouse?
Security considerations, perhaps? Wireless devices are easily sniffed. Someone could reconstruct what you're drawing, or the order of your voting preferences, or ...

Likes James Kent
I have designed many such slip-rings and indeed combined them with cable retractors so as to offer full xyz manouvrability in a room without being entangled. These devices can be very compact and can be bespoke designed, but maintaining signal quality on a slip-ring requires high quality materials.

Likes James Kent

Related to How can a device prevent twisting of USB cables when rotating?

1. What is a device for rotating a cord?

A device for rotating a cord is a tool or mechanism used to spin or twist a cord or rope in order to create tension or to wind it up.

2. How does a device for rotating a cord work?

The specific workings of a device for rotating a cord may vary, but generally it involves a handle or crank that is turned to rotate a spindle or axle, which in turn twists the cord.

3. What are the uses of a device for rotating a cord?

A device for rotating a cord can be used for a variety of purposes, such as tightening or securing ropes or cords, creating tension for exercises or physical therapy, or winding up cables or cords for storage.

4. Are there different types of devices for rotating cords?

Yes, there are different types of devices for rotating cords, such as hand-held rope spinners, electric cord winders, and manual cable winders. The specific type needed will depend on the intended use and the size and type of cord being rotated.

5. How do I choose the right device for rotating a cord?

The right device for rotating a cord will depend on your specific needs. Consider factors such as the type and size of cord you will be using, the intended use for the rotated cord, and any additional features or capabilities that may be needed. It may also be helpful to read reviews or consult with a salesperson for recommendations.