How can a 2D plane and 3D space accurately represent all colors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different ways of representing colors in 2D and 3D spaces, including the use of RGB and hue, saturation, and intensity models. It also mentions the use of a color triangle and a CYMB system. The conversation also mentions the difference between additive and subtractive color combinations and the use of black in printing. Finally, it is mentioned that there are interactive programs available to visualize color combinations in 3D space.
Bruno Tolentino
How many dimensions are necessary for repsent ALL colors? 3, 4, more!?

What are the better ways for represent all colors inside 2D plane and 3D space.

I already tried so much combination, but, a think that never it's 100% good.

Attachments

• Sem título55.png
    Sem título55.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 441
  • Sem título66.png
    Sem título66.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Bruno Tolentino said:
How many dimensions are necessary for repsent ALL colors? 3, 4, more!?

What are the better ways for represent all colors inside 2D plane and 3D space.

I already tried so much combination, but, a think that never it's 100% good.
I think all the perceived colours, every hue and every saturation, can be represented in two dimensions on the Colour Triangle (yet another Maxwell discovery). It is the basis of colour TV.

Because the human eye has three different kinds of color receptors, specifically sensitive to light in the frequency ranges of red, green, and blue, we perceive light as a three dimensional property. Some color models directly use "RGB", representing a cube with intensity of red along one edge, intensity of blue along the other, and intensity of green along the third. There is also the "hue, saturation, and intensity" representation, first used in computer monitors by, I think, Tektronix, which represents colors on a double pointed cone with "hue" around the circle, intensity outward from the axis, and saturation along the axis. It is a double pointed cone because all colors become "black" as saturation goes to 0 and "white" as saturation goes to 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Bruno Tolentino
HallsofIvy said:
Because the human eye has three different kinds of color receptors, specifically sensitive to light in the frequency ranges of red, green, and blue, we perceive light as a three dimensional property. Some color models directly use "RGB", representing a cube with intensity of red along one edge, intensity of blue along the other, and intensity of green along the third. There is also the "hue, saturation, and intensity" representation, first used in computer monitors by, I think, Tektronix, which represents colors on a double pointed cone with "hue" around the circle, saturation outward from the axis, and saturation along the axis. It is a double pointed cone because all colors become "black" as saturation goes to 0 and "white" as saturation goes to 100%.
Unsure why a 2-dimensional diagram such as the colour triangle (which has RGB at its corners and white in the middle) cannot represent all perceived colours?

tech99 said:
Unsure why a 2-dimensional diagram such as the colour triangle (which has RGB at its corners and white in the middle) cannot represent all perceived colours?
You say "white n the middle" so I think you are having the intensity (also called "brightness") increasing toward the center. So where is black?

HallsofIvy said:
You say "white n the middle" so I think you are having the intensity (also called "brightness") increasing toward the center. So where is black?
Yes, I see your point. TV uses a separate luminance (Y) signal, so the colour triangle specifies only hue and saturation.

But and about the CYMB system!? Is a pseudo 4D system!? Is, actually, a 3D system or not!?

Bruno Tolentino said:
But and about the CYMB system!? Is a pseudo 4D system!? Is, actually, a 3D system or not!?
If we are creating colors by combining lights of different colors ("additive combination" as when we are shining light on our monitor screen) then our "basis" is Red, Blue, Green because, as I said, our eyes have optic nerves that are particularly sensitive to those three colors. If, instead, we are creating colors by shining white light through different filters (so that we are "subtracting" light as when we are putting ink on a paper) then our "basis" is the complementary colors Cyan (between green and blue), Magenta (between red and blue), and yellow (between red and green). Black isn't really necessary. It is added to the colored inks, first because the great majority of printing is NOT in color and just using black ink is cheaper and second because when used with colored inks in color pictures, it makes the contrast with the white paper better.

Likes Bruno Tolentino
Exist some program (interactive program, preferably) for vizualize the combinations between colors in the 3D space?

Related to How can a 2D plane and 3D space accurately represent all colors?

1. What is color representation?

Color representation is the process of translating physical colors into a visual representation, such as on a screen or in print. This allows us to perceive, compare, and communicate different colors accurately.

2. How is color represented in digital devices?

Color on digital devices is typically represented using the RGB (red, green, blue) color model. This model combines these three primary colors in different intensities to create a wide range of colors. Each pixel on a digital screen is made up of a combination of these three colors.

3. What is the difference between additive and subtractive color representation?

Additive color representation is used in digital devices and involves combining colored light to create different hues. Subtractive color representation is used in print and involves mixing pigments together, with each pigment absorbing certain wavelengths of light, resulting in the perceived color.

4. How do humans perceive color?

Humans perceive color through the stimulation of specialized cells in the retina called cones. There are three types of cones, each sensitive to a different range of wavelengths. The combination of signals from these cones allows us to see a wide variety of colors.

5. How can color representation impact visual communication and design?

Color representation plays a crucial role in visual communication and design. It can evoke certain emotions, convey meaning, and create visual interest. Understanding how colors are represented and perceived can help designers make informed decisions to effectively communicate their message.