How big is the path of an IR emitter

• Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Path
In summary, the conversation discusses the size and path of the signal emitted from a remote when a button is pushed. It is mentioned that most IR LEDs emit at a divergence angle of a few degrees and can be seen flashing through a mobile phone camera. It is also noted that the signal can be reflected off walls and furniture, often still reaching the receiver. Some individuals use their mobile phone camera as a way to control the TV when not in direct line-of-sight.
MartinJH
This is a very silly question but anyway.

When using a remote for a TV or digital channel receiver, how big is the path/signal emitted from the remote when a button is pushed.
Will it come from a point, thee emitter, and form a cone shape until its picked up by the receiver.

its a dull question, I know. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I found, most IR LEDs emit into a divergence angle of a few degrees.

If you look at it through your mobile phone camera, you'll see it flashing. (...Looking...) Hmm, I'd say it's more like few 10's of degrees. Also IR is reflected well by the walls and furniture, often this reflected light is sufficient to trigger the receiver.

Andy Resnick said:
From what I found, most IR LEDs emit into a divergence angle of a few degrees.

Thank you.

Delta Kilo said:
If you look at it through your mobile phone camera, you'll see it flashing. (...Looking...) Hmm, I'd say it's more like few 10's of degrees. Also IR is reflected well by the walls and furniture, often this reflected light is sufficient to trigger the receiver.

I always use that method when in bed or not in direct path to the TV :) lol.

The path of an IR emitter is not a physical object with a specific size. It is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in a straight line from the emitter. The size of the path is determined by the strength and direction of the emitter, as well as any obstructions in the way.

In the case of a remote control, the IR signal is emitted from a point on the remote and travels in a cone shape until it reaches the receiver. However, the size of this cone will vary depending on the strength and direction of the emitter, as well as the sensitivity of the receiver.

Overall, the size of the path of an IR emitter is not a fixed measurement and can vary depending on various factors. It is important to ensure that the emitter and receiver are properly aligned for the best signal transmission.

Related to How big is the path of an IR emitter

1. How is the size of an IR emitter path measured?

The size of an IR emitter path is typically measured in millimeters or micrometers. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a laser beam profiler or a scanning electron microscope.

2. What factors affect the size of an IR emitter path?

The size of an IR emitter path can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the emitter itself, the wavelength of the emitted light, and the properties of the surrounding medium (such as its refractive index).

3. Is the size of an IR emitter path constant?

No, the size of an IR emitter path can vary depending on the conditions in which it is emitted. For example, the path may change if the emitter is in motion or if there are changes in the surrounding environment that affect the properties of the emitted light.

4. Can the size of an IR emitter path be controlled?

Yes, the size of an IR emitter path can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the emitter, such as its size and shape, as well as the conditions in which it is emitted. This can be useful in applications where precise control of the path is necessary.

5. How does the size of an IR emitter path impact its effectiveness?

The size of an IR emitter path can impact its effectiveness in various ways. For example, a larger path may result in a wider area of coverage but may also decrease the intensity of the emitted light. Additionally, the size of the path may affect the accuracy and precision of the emitted light in certain applications.