How big is the friction force on the truck?

In summary, a truck on an incline has 37081.8N of friction force. No one knows what to do to get the answer to 34845.5N.
chicagobears34
Calculating friction force on a truck on an incline?

Homework Statement

A 4200kg truck is parked on a 20 degree slope.
How big is the friction force on the truck? The coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.90.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ff=mu*m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

Friction Force on the truck is (4200kg*9.81m/s^2 * .90) = 37081.8N
since it's on an incline I am supposed to do 37081.8 * sin20?
so the answer would be 12682.7N but that is wrong
I also tried doing 37081.8 * cos20 which is 34845.5N which is also wrong
Please help me! Idk what I am doing wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the whole problem statement.

sorry about that. I posted the whole problem now.

Draw a free body diagram and the forces acting on the truck.

What you found is the max static friction meaning that you would need a force greater than that friction to move the truck. If you were to draw out a FBD and put the friction you had found in you'll see that it's greater than the gravity force acting on the truck down the incline. But you know that this can't be true since the truck is in equilibrium.

I did draw a FBD, but I really suck at physics. Wouldn't there just be a force going down on the truck which would be (4200*9.81)cos20? where would the friction point?
can you point me in the right direction?

No it would be sin20. Frictions always point against motion so it will be pointing opposite of the gravity force down the incline. Don't forget that a=0 either.

alright thanks a bunch Maiq. What was the point of the static coefficient in that problem?
The answer was just (4200*9.81)sin20

The static friction does not mean a definite magnitude. It is the force necessary to keep a body in rest, but it can not exceed (normal force) times (coefficient of static friction).

ehild

They probably put it in there to throw you off or maybe just to show what ehild said.

Related to How big is the friction force on the truck?

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the resistance that opposes motion when two objects are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of the objects.

2. How is friction force measured?

Friction force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. It can also be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force between the two objects.

3. What factors affect the friction force on a truck?

The friction force on a truck is affected by the weight of the truck, the roughness of the road, and the type of tires on the truck. It is also dependent on the normal force between the tires and the road.

4. How does friction force impact the movement of the truck?

Friction force can slow down the movement of the truck, as it opposes the motion of the tires on the road. It also helps the truck maintain traction and prevents it from sliding or slipping on the road.

5. Can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces of the truck and the road. It can also be reduced by using smoother tires or by decreasing the weight of the truck.