How are the x1 and x4 values determined in the solution to the matrix equation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of simultaneous equations, specifically in the context of linear algebra. The author is discussing how the first and last rows of the equations give values for x2 and x3, while the middle rows give values for x1 and x4. The author also mentions that this method is the same as solving the equations simultaneously, which requires the matrix C to be invertible. The author is unsure if this is how the author of the textbook, Strang, solved the equations or if he used a different method. However, this method of solving simultaneous equations is the same as the one described by Strang.
kostoglotov
Hi, rapid fire posting in this subforum I know, sorry if that's annoying. Let me know if I should space my posts out a bit more.

Here's an image of the solution to a worked example (from Intro to Linear Algebra 4th by Strang)

IG6r15H.jpg

here's the imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/IG6r15H.jpg

I cannot figure out what the underlined (underlining added by me) sentences mean:

"The first and last rows give x2 and x3. Then the middle rows give x1 and x4."

How do the middle rows only give x1 and x4? Is this the result of treating this as a system of simultaneous equations rather than linear combinations? That's the only explanation I can find at the moment. Mostly I don't know what the author's intended meaning is.

I could find all the x's by solving simultaneous equations, but would that be how the author has done it, or has Strang found the x's a different way?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the author describes IS the solving of the 'simultaneous' equations :
##x_2 = b_1 \\
x_3-x_1 = b_2\\
x_4 - x_2 = b_3\\
-x_3 = b_4 ##​

we humans don't do 'simultaneously: we see that this means that

first and last rows give x2 and x3 and THEN the middle rows give x1 and x4.​

Thereby Cx = b has been solved, and that can only be the case if C is invertible (x = C-1 b).

Likes kostoglotov
Solving the system of simultaneous equations just means that the same solution should be valid for all equations.

Likes kostoglotov

Related to How are the x1 and x4 values determined in the solution to the matrix equation?

What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is a mathematical equation that involves matrices. Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. They are commonly used to represent and solve systems of linear equations.

How do you solve a matrix equation?

To solve a matrix equation, you can use various methods such as elimination, substitution, or Gaussian elimination. These methods involve manipulating the elements of the matrices to find the values of the variables in the equation.

What is the solution to a matrix equation?

The solution to a matrix equation is the set of values that satisfy the equation. In other words, it is the values of the variables that make the equation true. The solution can be a single value or a set of values for each variable.

Can a matrix equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix equation can have multiple solutions. This means that there are different combinations of values for the variables that satisfy the equation. However, some matrix equations may have no solution or only one unique solution.

How is a matrix equation used in real life?

Matrix equations have various applications in real life, such as in engineering, economics, and computer graphics. They are used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, which can represent real-world scenarios such as optimizing resources, analyzing data, and modeling physical systems.