How are nanoshells constructed in modern labs?

In summary, nanoshells are nanoparticles made of a dielectric core and an outer shell of gold or another metal that can be optically tuned to either absorb or scatter specific wavelengths of light. The construction of nanoshells involves varying the diameter of the core and the thickness of the shell. While information on this topic may be limited, using scientific search engines such as Scirus and accessing databases like Chemical Abstracts can provide valuable insights.
Xenorelic
I can't seem to find much information on the construction of nanoshells. If anyone can post a link or briefly explain how nanoshells are generally created in a lab today, I would be very thankful.

I'm supposed to write a paper on nanoshells and their impact on medical science. So any further help will be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nanoshell

Hello,

I have found the following at this website:

Nanoshells are nanoparticles with a unique property — they can be optically tuned to either absorb or scatter particular wavelengths of light. Nanoshells are created from a dielectric core (like silica) and an outer shell of gold or another metal. By varying the diameter of the core and the thickness of the metal shell, Nanoshells can be crafted to reflect or absorb different wavelengths.

Hope this helps, remember that googling with the word "nanoshell" gives useful info.

I googled for 3 hours before posting this thread :)

Thanks for the link and advice anyway, though the link didn't provide much information regarding the construction of nanoshells.

Hey! extremely interesting subject! Congratulations

I can´t help you, but I encourage you to continue working on it. Good Luck

You are right about not finding many useful links on google, Xenorelic. Maybe switching to more scientific search engines like Scirus or using the powerful connection options of your local library's scientific subcriptions, more tempting results are likely to be achieved. I strongly suggest that you search Chemical Abstracts for at least 2004-1998 period, available on CD-ROMs in many instutions. It contains information maybe never obtained elsewhere but a little abstract.
Regards

Scirus is great. Thanks.

Related to How are nanoshells constructed in modern labs?

1. What are nanoshells and how are they constructed?

Nanoshells are nanoparticles made up of a dielectric core and a metallic shell. They are typically constructed using a process called "seed-mediated growth", where a seed particle is coated with a layer of the desired metal through a series of chemical reactions.

2. What materials are commonly used to construct nanoshells?

The most commonly used materials for constructing nanoshells are gold and silver. These metals have strong absorption in the visible and near-infrared regions, making them useful for various applications.

3. What are the potential applications of nanoshells?

Nanoshells have potential applications in various fields such as biomedical imaging and therapy, drug delivery, and sensing. They can also be used in energy harvesting and catalysis.

4. What are the challenges in the construction of nanoshells?

One of the main challenges in constructing nanoshells is achieving control over their size, shape, and composition. The process of seed-mediated growth can also be complex and requires precise control over reaction conditions.

5. How are the properties of nanoshells characterized?

The properties of nanoshells can be characterized using various techniques such as UV-Vis spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy, and dynamic light scattering. These techniques can provide information about the size, shape, and optical properties of nanoshells.