How are electrons accelerated in electron impact ionization?

In summary, the process of electron impact ionization involves accelerating electrons through thermionic emissions. This is typically achieved by applying a negative voltage to the filament or an electrode to create an electric field.
Misha Kuznetsov
Hello, I just have a quick question about electron impact ionization.

How exactly are the electrons accelerated? Are they attracted by an anode?

Physics news on Phys.org
In what context is this happening? Is this about electron impact ionization in a specific device?

Misha Kuznetsov said:
Hello, I just have a quick question about electron impact ionization.

How exactly are the electrons accelerated? Are they attracted by an anode?

This is extremely vague, because there are many different ways to do this. You need to cite specific type of experiment that you had in mind. If this is from something you read, cite the exact source as you would when you cite a reference in a paper.

Zz.

I read it on Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_ionization

It says that electrons are produced through thermionic emissions, and then are accelerated. It didn't say how they are accelerated.

If there are multiple ways, which ones are typical and common.

I believe a typical way of accelerating them is to apply a negative voltage to either the filament itself or an electrode on one side of the filament so that electrons are accelerated by the electric field. I'm sure it's possible to use a positive electrode instead (or in conjunction with a negative electrode) if the configuration of the device allows it.

Related to How are electrons accelerated in electron impact ionization?

What is Electron Impact Ionization?

Electron Impact Ionization is a process in which a high-energy electron collides with an atom or molecule, causing one or more electrons to be ejected from the atom or molecule. This results in the formation of a positively charged ion.

What is the purpose of Electron Impact Ionization in scientific research?

Electron Impact Ionization is commonly used in mass spectrometry to identify and quantify the components of a sample. It can also be used to study the structure and properties of atoms and molecules.

How does Electron Impact Ionization differ from other ionization techniques?

Electron Impact Ionization differs from other ionization techniques in that it uses high-energy electrons instead of photons or other particles to ionize atoms or molecules. It also typically produces highly energetic ions, which can be useful for certain applications.

What factors can affect the efficiency of Electron Impact Ionization?

The efficiency of Electron Impact Ionization can be affected by the energy and angle of the incident electron, the composition and structure of the sample, and the presence of other particles or molecules in the sample. The efficiency can also vary depending on the type of ion being produced.

What are the potential applications of Electron Impact Ionization?

Electron Impact Ionization has a wide range of potential applications in fields such as analytical chemistry, materials science, and astrophysics. It can be used for elemental and molecular analysis, as well as for studying the properties and behavior of ions in different environments.