Horizontal/Vertical projectile question

• Thread starter influx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the mark scheme they have done is s/u = t, and then used this t value (along with the vertical component of velocity and g) to calculate the vertical displacement, s.
influx
horinz.png

In the mark scheme they have done s/u = t, and then used this t value (along with the vertical component of velocity and g) to calculate the vertical displacement s..

I am confused why they used the same t value to progress with? This t value represents the time taken to travel the 0.4 m (horizontal distance) but surely it would take a different time to travel to the insect?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi influx! :smile:
influx said:
This t value represents the time taken to travel the 0.4 m (horizontal distance) but surely it would take a different time to travel to the insect?

it follows a parabola (x(t),y(t))

x(t) = ut

so the parabola is (ut,y(t))

you need the point (0.4,y) to lie on that parabola :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi influx! :smile:

it follows a parabola (x(t),y(t))

x(t) = ut

so the parabola is (ut,y(t))

you need the point (0.4,y) to lie on that parabola :wink:

Hi :) !

Ermm, I haven't been taught the notation you are using.. So I don't really understand, sorry lol !

influx said:
I am confused why they used the same t value to progress with? This t value represents the time taken to travel the 0.4 m (horizontal distance) but surely it would take a different time to travel to the insect?

It is the same droplet that travels horizontally and vertically.

First you must resolve horizontally (<--->) to find the time it takes to reach a horizontal distance of 0.4 metres. (You have, s,a and u, so you can find t)

Once you have found this time, t, you must use it to find the vertical height. You do this by resolving vertically. Remember that vertically, u=3.5sin70.

Good luck, hope that helps

p.s. You can think of that t value as the time it takes for the water droplet to pass/intersect a vertical line 0.4 m away (horizontally) from the fish. It is basically the time it takes for the water droplet to reach the "y" line in your figure.

p.p.s. I am using online-exam-solutions website for my exam revision. Its pretty good for this sort of thing because they have lots of example questions. Am not sure how relevant it will be for non UK students though...it may be worth checking out

azizlwl said:
It is the same droplet that travels horizontally and vertically.

physicist93 said:
First you must resolve horizontally (<--->) to find the time it takes to reach a horizontal distance of 0.4 metres. (You have, s,a and u, so you can find t)

Once you have found this time, t, you must use it to find the vertical height. You do this by resolving vertically. Remember that vertically, u=3.5sin70.

Good luck, hope that helps

physicist93 said:
p.s. You can think of that t value as the time it takes for the water droplet to pass/intersect a vertical line 0.4 m away (horizontally) from the fish. It is basically the time it takes for the water droplet to reach the "y" line in your figure.

physicist93 said:
p.p.s. I am using online-exam-solutions website for my exam revision. Its pretty good for this sort of thing because they have lots of example questions. Am not sure how relevant it will be for non UK students though...it may be worth checking out

Ah! I understand now! Thanks everyone :) Also, I would sign up, but my teacher has given me like 100 questions.. so I am going to have a crack at those! :)

Related to Horizontal/Vertical projectile question

1. What is a horizontal/vertical projectile question?

A horizontal/vertical projectile question is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of an object in a horizontal or vertical direction. It typically involves calculating the distance, velocity, or time of a projectile based on given information.

2. What are the key differences between horizontal and vertical projectile questions?

The key difference between horizontal and vertical projectile questions is the direction of motion. In horizontal projectile questions, the object moves in a straight line along the horizontal axis, while in vertical projectile questions, the object moves in a parabolic path due to the force of gravity.

3. How do you solve a horizontal/vertical projectile question?

To solve a horizontal/vertical projectile question, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include distance, velocity, and time. You will also need to consider the force of gravity and any other external forces acting on the object. By plugging in the given information and using algebra, you can solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving horizontal/vertical projectile questions?

Some common mistakes when solving horizontal/vertical projectile questions include forgetting to account for the force of gravity, using the wrong equations or variables, and not properly converting units. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information and to double-check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can understanding horizontal/vertical projectile questions be useful in real life?

Understanding horizontal/vertical projectile questions can be useful in real life situations such as sports, engineering, and transportation. For example, knowing how to calculate the trajectory of a ball in sports can help improve accuracy, while understanding the motion of objects in engineering and transportation can aid in designing and optimizing systems for efficiency.