Horizontal Projectile Launcher

In summary, the speaker is looking for suggestions and tutorials on projectile launchers for their physics class. They have tried a Gauss rifle but it did not have enough velocity. They are considering other propulsion mechanisms such as pressurized air or a spring-driven crossbow. The desired projectile is a steel ball bearing. The speaker does not want to risk building a coilgun. They also share their experience building a projectile launcher in the past using a copper tube, coil springs, and an electromagnet. The launcher did not shoot straight but it was a fun and memorable experience.
blerb795
I need to build a completely horizontal projectile launcher for my physics class. I started experimenting with a Gauss rifle, but the horizontal velocity was hardly even 1m/s, even with strong magnets. I'm looking into a few other propulsion mechanisms, such as pressurized air (like a spud gun) or some sort of spring/rubber band driven crossbow, but I was trying to see if I could get any more suggestions or tutorials on projectile launchers. The projectile can really be anything, but something along the lines of a steel ball bearing would be ideal.

And no, I'd rather not take the risks of building a coilgun ;P

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I built one of those years ago. I used a half inch copper tube with a wooden dowel fitting inside. A pair of coil springs salvaged from a long-necked adjustable lamp pulled the dowel into the tube, pushing the ball bearing.

A nail on the end of a wire was used to release the springs and at the same time open an electric circuit to an electromagnet holding a light bulb half way across the classroom at the same height as the gun. It worked very well vertically but the ball often missed the light bulb to one side or the other. The gun did not shoot straight. However, a few misses stretched out the moment and a good time was had by all. The most memorable moment occurred when the principal opened the door just as the ball was shot straight at him. It hit the floor well before hitting him and rolled out the door as he came in. This was high excitement in grade 11!

The instant I got a hit, I shouted, "The vertical and horizontal motions are independent so I can't miss!" and the students seemed to remember it.

Related to Horizontal Projectile Launcher

1. What is a horizontal projectile launcher?

A horizontal projectile launcher is a device used to launch objects horizontally at a set velocity. It is commonly used in physics experiments to study projectile motion and can also be used for recreational purposes such as launching balls or water balloons.

2. How does a horizontal projectile launcher work?

A horizontal projectile launcher works by using a mechanical or pneumatic mechanism to accelerate an object to a desired velocity. The object is then released from the launcher and will continue to move horizontally at a constant velocity until acted upon by external forces, such as air resistance or gravity.

3. What are the main components of a horizontal projectile launcher?

The main components of a horizontal projectile launcher include a launching mechanism, such as a spring or compressed air, a platform to hold the object being launched, and a trigger mechanism to release the object at the desired velocity. Some launchers may also have additional features such as adjustable angles or interchangeable launching mechanisms.

4. What factors affect the range of a horizontal projectile launcher?

The range of a horizontal projectile launcher is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and external forces such as air resistance and gravity. Other factors that may affect the range include the mass and shape of the object being launched, as well as the design and condition of the launcher itself.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using a horizontal projectile launcher?

When using a horizontal projectile launcher, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses, and ensuring that the launcher is placed on a stable surface. It is also important to never aim the launcher at people or animals, and to never stand directly in front of the launching mechanism.