Horizontal Asymptote of Inverse Tangent Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing a function with vertical/horizontal and oblique lines, specifically for the function f(x)=\frac{x}{2}+\tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{x}). There is a question about whether it is enough to just observe the limit \lim_{x->\infty^{\pm}}\frac{x}{2} = \pm \infty to determine if there is a horizontal line, and it is concluded that the $\tan^{-1}$ term must also be considered. There is also mention of checking for oblique lines.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I got one question, I am currently working with an old exam and I am suposed to draw it with vertican/horizontal lines (and those that are oblique).
\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x}{2}+\tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{x})\)
for the horizontel line
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty^{\pm}}\frac{x}{2}+\tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{2})\)
Is it enough just to see that
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty^{\pm}}\frac{x}{2} = \pm \infty\) and say there is no horizontel line?
So I have to check oblique line

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Trigometri,limit

Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I got one question, I am currently working with an old exam and I am suposed to draw it with vertican/horizontal lines (and those that are oblique).
\(\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x}{2}+\tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{x})\)
for the horizontel line
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty^{\pm}}\frac{x}{2}+\tan^{-1}(\frac{x}{2})\)
Is it enough just to see that
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x->\infty^{\pm}}\frac{x}{2} = \pm \infty\) and say there is no horizontel line?

No, it's not. You must also show that the $\tan^{-1}$ term is finite (which it is). Otherwise, you might get an $\infty- \infty$ situation that requires more analysis.

So I have to check oblique line

Regards,

Re: Trigometri,limit

Ackbach said:
No, it's not. You must also show that the $\tan^{-1}$ term is finite (which it is). Otherwise, you might get an $\infty- \infty$ situation that requires more analysis.
Thanks for the fast responed!:) Now I know that I should not try think like that!:)

Regards,

Related to Horizontal Asymptote of Inverse Tangent Function

What is the inverse tangent function?

The inverse tangent function, denoted as tan-1(x) or arctan(x), is the inverse of the tangent function. It is used to find the angle whose tangent is a given number.

What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line that a function approaches as the input values increase or decrease without bound. In other words, it is a line that the graph of the function gets closer and closer to, but never actually touches.

What is the horizontal asymptote of the inverse tangent function?

The horizontal asymptote of the inverse tangent function is y = -π/2 for input values approaching positive infinity and y = π/2 for input values approaching negative infinity.

How do you find the horizontal asymptote of the inverse tangent function?

To find the horizontal asymptote of the inverse tangent function, you can use the limit definition of the function. As the input values approach positive or negative infinity, the output values approach the asymptotes of y = -π/2 and y = π/2, respectively.

Why is the inverse tangent function important in mathematics?

The inverse tangent function is important in mathematics because it is used to solve problems involving angles and triangles, such as finding the angle of elevation or depression. It is also an essential tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics, as it is one of the six basic trigonometric functions.