Hooke's Law Lab and theoretical y-value Really need some help

In summary, the conversation discusses a Hooke's Law lab where the length of a spring in meters is measured against the restoring force in Newtons. The graph should be a straight line as Hooke's Law states that the amount a spring is stretched is directly proportional to the restoring force. The slope of the graph represents the k constant and the y-intercept is assumed to be 0, as a 0 displacement would result in a 0 restoring force. Question 2 asks for the percent difference between the experimentally obtained y-intercept and the theoretical value, but there may be some discrepancy as the theoretical value may not be 0 if the original length of the spring was not considered.
exparrot
I did a Hooke's Law lab in class last week and one of the post-experiment questions asks to explain why the graph made should be a straight line and what should the slope and y-intercept be in terms of quantities in this lab? I know that Hooke's Law demonstrates that the amount a spring is stretched (displaced) is directly proportional to the restoring force, thus the line of the graph would be linear. For my graph, I have the length of the spring in meters (x-axis) vs. the F (m*g) in Newtons. The slope would be the k constant and the y-intercept, I assume, would be 0 as if you have 0 displacement, the resultant restoring force would be 0. Okay so I answer that just fine and move on to question 2. Question 2 asks me find the percent difference between the experimentally obtained y-intercept and the theoretical value obtained in question 1. My experimentally obtained y-intercept is 0.0014, and if I assumed correctly in the previous question, my theoretical y-intercept is 0. How would I go about finding the percent difference? I would have 0 in the denominator and I wouldn't get a percent difference, although there is clearly a small difference. Is my theoretical value for the y-intercept correct? I would really appreciate the help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the length of the spring in meters
This suggests that you used not the spring stretch x, but its original length L plus the stretch x. If so, your y-intercept will not be zero.

But most likely, you used the extension x on the horizontal axis and everything you wrote makes sense. If you predict 0 and get 0.0014 the % difference between them does not make much sense, but I would use 100% if I had to have such an answer.

I would first like to commend you on your understanding of Hooke's Law and how it relates to the graph made in your lab. Your explanation of the linear relationship between displacement and restoring force is correct, as well as your identification of the slope as the k constant and the y-intercept as 0.

Moving on to question 2, it is important to note that the theoretical y-intercept is not always 0. It depends on the specific experiment and the values of the variables involved. In this case, the theoretical y-intercept can be determined by calculating the restoring force at 0 displacement using the k constant and the length of the spring. This value may not be exactly 0, but it should be close.

To find the percent difference between the experimentally obtained y-intercept and the theoretical value, you can use the following formula:

Percent difference = |(experimental value - theoretical value)| / theoretical value * 100%

In this case, the theoretical value would be the value you calculated in question 1, using the k constant and the length of the spring. The experimental value would be the value you obtained from your graph, which is 0.0014. This will give you a percent difference, which will indicate how close your experimental value is to the theoretical value.

In conclusion, it is important to understand that the theoretical y-intercept is not always 0 and can be calculated using the k constant and the length of the spring. To find the percent difference, you can use the formula provided, with the theoretical value being the value calculated in question 1. I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

Related to Hooke's Law Lab and theoretical y-value Really need some help

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and its resulting displacement. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of displacement produced, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. How is Hooke's Law used in a lab setting?

In a Hooke's Law lab, an object such as a spring is attached to a force sensor and a known amount of force is applied. The resulting displacement of the spring is measured and recorded. This data is then used to plot a graph and determine the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

3. What is the theoretical y-value in a Hooke's Law lab?

The theoretical y-value in a Hooke's Law lab refers to the predicted displacement of the spring based on the known force applied and the spring constant. It is calculated using the equation y = (F/k), where y is the displacement, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

4. How does Hooke's Law apply to real-world situations?

Hooke's Law has many practical applications in the real world, such as in the design of springs for various devices and machines. It also helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior of materials under stress and can be used to predict the behavior of structures under different forces.

5. Can Hooke's Law be applied to all materials?

No, Hooke's Law only applies to materials that exhibit elastic behavior, meaning they return to their original shape after the applied force is removed. Materials that exhibit plastic behavior, such as clay or putty, do not follow Hooke's Law.