Homopolar Generator: 0.1V Output, No Current

In summary, the problem is that there is too much resistance in the circuit and it is not easy to generate high currents using a homopolar generator.
kannuhny24
I've made a homopolar generator using Al disk, its giving me a output voltage of around 0.1V but shockingly der is no current ! a checked the resistance of the disk its very low as required, i checked for every other problem like : improper contact , smoothness of the disk , symmetry of the field , speed , proximity of the field , insulation of the rotor shaft with the disk , using a thick disk ( around 5 mm ) etc...but there is no current ! can anybody tell me what might have gone wrong...?? homopolar generator is supposed to generate high current at low voltages i want to verify it, can anybody suggest any other way of producing very high current it doesn't matted at what voltage ii just want high current.

Science news on Phys.org
What are you using for a load? How are you measuring the current?

The problem is you almost certainly got too much resistance in your circuit. Say you want 10 Amp then since your voltage is 0.1V, R got to be lower than 0.01 Ω which is not easy to do.

The way I generated a high current in the past is by using a small toroid mains transformer. Thread one or two loops of thick cupper wire through the hole and solder the ends of the wire together. Make sure some of this wire runs outside the transformer. I was able to generate 300 Amps and more. But of course that is ac and not dc. But make sure the primairy coil is not overheating and be careful with the mains voltage.

@pantaz : i simply used the multimeter to check the V and I.

@ per oni : the resistance of my disk is 1 ohm...should hav atleast shown 0.1 o some amps but it dint show any...should i go fr Cu disk ?... I even supplied 5amp @12V between the periphery and the centre to see if it atleast rotates but it dint rotate too !

Thanks fr replying guys.

Related to Homopolar Generator: 0.1V Output, No Current

1. What is a homopolar generator?

A homopolar generator is a type of electrical generator that uses a single conductor to produce electrical energy. It is also known as a unipolar generator or a Faraday disk.

2. How does a homopolar generator work?

A homopolar generator works by passing a conductor through a magnetic field. This creates a force on the electrons in the conductor, causing them to move and create an electrical current. The output voltage of the generator depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the speed at which the conductor is moved.

3. What is the typical output of a homopolar generator?

The typical output of a homopolar generator is low, usually ranging from 0.1V to a few volts. This is because it is a simple generator and does not have any mechanisms to increase the output voltage.

4. Why is there no current in a homopolar generator with 0.1V output?

The amount of current produced by a generator is directly proportional to the output voltage. In a homopolar generator, the output voltage is low, so the current produced will also be low. This is due to the simple design of the generator, which does not allow for current amplification.

5. What are some common uses for a homopolar generator?

Homopolar generators are mainly used for educational purposes as they are simple to make and understand. They are also used in some low-power applications, such as powering small electronic devices or as a power source for experiments. However, due to their low output voltage, they are not commonly used as a main source of power.