Homework question involving 2nd FTC, derivative of an integral

In summary, the function H(x) is defined as the integral of f(t) and f(-t) over the interval [-x,x]. To find the second derivative of H(x), we can use the second fundamental theorem of calculus to get 2[f'(x) - f'(-x)]. It is important to apply the chain rule when differentiating f(-t).
mrchris

Homework Statement

Suppose that the function f : R → R is differentiable. Define the function H: R → R by
H(x) = ∫−x to x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt for all x in R.
Find H'' (x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i divided it up into ∫ 0 to x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt and -∫ from 0 to -x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt. then by the 2nd FTC, H '(x)=
2[ f (x) + f (−x)], so H ''(x) should then be of 2[ f '(x) - f '(−x)]. I'm just not sure if the f(-t) changes anything besides the fact that when I differentiate f(-t) I use the chain rule and multiply by -1.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrchris said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the function f : R → R is differentiable. Define the function H: R → R by
H(x) = ∫−x to x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt for all x in R.
Find H'' (x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i divided it up into ∫ 0 to x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt and -∫ from 0 to -x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt.
Looks OK up to here.

So $$ H(x) = -\int_0^{-x}(f(t) + f(-t))dt + \int_0^{x}(f(t) + f(-t))dt $$

Show me how you got H'(x).
mrchris said:
then by the 2nd FTC, H '(x)=
2[ f (x) + f (−x)], so H ''(x) should then be of 2[ f '(x) - f '(−x)]. I'm just not sure if the f(-t) changes anything besides the fact that when I differentiate f(-t) I use the chain rule and multiply by -1.

so i am under the impression that d/dx of ∫f(t) dt = f(x), so taking each term, H'(x)= dH/dx of
∫0 to x [f(t)]= f(x)
∫0 to x [f(-t)]= f(-x)
∫0 to -x [f(t)]= f(-x)*-1
∫0 to -x [f(-t)]= f(x)*-1

so H'(x)= [f(x)+f(-x)]-(-1)[f(-x)+f(x)]=[f(x)+f(-x)]+[f(-x)+f(x)]=2[f(x)+f(-x)]

I am not sure if I am also supposed to be applying the chain rule at this step with the f(-t) derivative

This looks fine. Now take the derivative again, keeping in mind that d/dx(f(-x)) = -f'(-x).

so H ''(x) should then be of 2[ f '(x) - f '(−x)].

mrchris said:
so i am under the impression that d/dx of ∫f(t) dt = f(x), so
You mean, I hope, that [itex]d/dx \int_a^x f(t)dt[/itex] so that [itex]d/dx \int_x^a f(t)dt= d/dx\left(-\int_a^x f(t)dt\right)= -f(x)[/itex]

taking each term, H'(x)= dH/dx of
∫0 to x [f(t)]= f(x)
∫0 to x [f(-t)]= f(-x)
∫0 to -x [f(t)]= f(-x)*-1
∫0 to -x [f(-t)]= f(x)*-1

so H'(x)= [f(x)+f(-x)]-(-1)[f(-x)+f(x)]=[f(x)+f(-x)]+[f(-x)+f(x)]=2[f(x)+f(-x)]

I am not sure if I am also supposed to be applying the chain rule at this step with the f(-t) derivative

Related to Homework question involving 2nd FTC, derivative of an integral

1. What is the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC) is a theorem in calculus that relates the derivative and integral of a function. It states that if a function f is continuous on an interval [a,b] and the integral of f from a to x is F(x), then the derivative of F(x) is equal to f(x).

2. How is the Second FTC used in solving homework questions?

The Second FTC is used in solving homework questions by allowing us to find the derivative of an integral. This is helpful when the integral is difficult to solve directly, or when the given function is in terms of an integral. By using the Second FTC, we can simplify the problem and solve for the derivative of the integral instead.

3. What is the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is a function that represents the rate of change of the original integral function. It is found by applying the Second FTC, which states that the derivative of the integral is equal to the original function.

4. Can the Second FTC be applied to any function?

No, the Second FTC can only be applied to functions that are continuous on a given interval. If a function is not continuous, then the Second FTC cannot be used to find the derivative of its integral.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the Second FTC?

One common mistake to avoid when using the Second FTC is to forget to include the variable of integration. The derivative of an integral should always include the variable of integration, otherwise the derivative will be incorrect. Another mistake is to confuse the Second FTC with the First FTC, which relates the definite integral and the original function.