Homework help: Transformer Current

In summary: In general, the higher the permeability of the core material, the more easily the primary current will spread through the core and cancel out the magnetizing current in the secondary.
Aryan Andaleeb

Homework Statement

If we denote:

Alternating current in the primary coil as I1
Alternating current in the secondary coil as I2

Similarly, we denote,

Number of turns in primary coil as N1
Number of turns in secondary coil as N2

And, we denote,

Voltage generated across primary coil as V1
Induced voltage across secondary coil as V2

Okay, now let the load, R, be connected to the secondary.

Now, exactly on which factors do the value of I2 depend on?

Homework Equations

Here,

V1 / V2
= N1 / N2 = I2 / I1 -------i

Again,

I2 = V2 / R ------------------------ii

Besides,

I1
= V1 × Z --------------------iii
[Where, Z means electrical imppedance in the primary coil, generated by the ac generator]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
But,

I2
= I1 × V1 / V2 ----------------- iv

and also,

I2 = I1 × N1 / N2 -----------------v

Where, each of the magnitude on the right-hand side of both the equation is constant.

So, is the value of I2 dependent upon R ?

If the answer is yes, then,

as R is variable, so,(according to equation no.ii) I2 is variable.

Therefore, (according to equation no.iv and v) I1 is variable.

But, according to equation no. iii

I1 = V1 × Z

Now, I'm getting a bit confused. How can this equation (equation no.iii) be true?

Since,

I1 is variable depending on R

But, at the same timeV1 is constant.

Z
is constant.So, its getting difficult to predict the controlling factors of I2

Please help. I've stuck in this problem for a few days!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

The source voltage V1(t) is transformed to the secondary voltage V2(t) by the turns ratio. The secondary current is determined by the secondary voltage and the load resistance. For the ideal transformer driven by an ideal voltage source (that has zero internal resistance), that's about all there is to it. Does that help?

berkeman said:
The source voltage V1(t) is transformed to the secondary voltage V2(t) by the turns ratio. The secondary current is determined by the secondary voltage and the load resistance. For the ideal transformer driven by an ideal voltage source (that has zero internal resistance), that's about all there is to it. Does that help?

That's alright.

But how is the primary current determined in a transformer?

And thanks a lot for your help.

Typically V1, R and N1:N2 are known. The sequence of working out the other variables is usually as follows...

Secondary voltage is determined by the winding ratio..

V2 = V1 * N2/N1

Secondary current is determined by the load...

I2 = V2/R

Primary current is determined by the winding ratio...

I1 = I2 * N2/N1

CWatters said:
Typically V1, R and N1:N2 are known. The sequence of working out the other variables is usually as follows...

Secondary voltage is determined by the winding ratio.

V2 = V1 * N2/N1

Secondary current is determined by the load...

I2 = V2/R

Primary current is determined by the winding ratio...

I1 = I2 * N2/N1

Okay, I agree with you.

But, now, isn't this true as well?

I1 = V1 × Z

[Where, Z means electrical impedance in the primary coil, generated by the a.c. generator]

Aryan Andaleeb said:

I1 = V1 × Z
Are you familiar with the concept of magnetizing current? Im=V1/Z will be the magnetizing current which is required to create the necessary magnetic flux in the core. When secondary is open, I2=0. Hence I1=Im. Now when you connect a load (say R), current I2 will flow in the secondary given as I2=V2/R. This will create its own mmf to demagnetize the primary mmf . Hence, to cancel out this demagnetizing mmf, primary draws a current I1 which is 180o out of phase with I2. Also, its magnitude is N2/N1 times that of the primary current such that there will mmf balance N1I1=N2I2. Note I1 and I am aren't same. The "net" primary current will be vector sum of I am and I1 (which themselves are 90° apart electrically). Im=I1 when I2=0. In introductory physics course, I am can be neglected since it is really small compared to I1. That's where permeability of the core material comes in picture. I am in case of air core would be 1000 times less than that in case of air core. This is just a brief description. You'll get more from experts here on PF.

Aryan Andaleeb said:

I1 = V1 × Z

[Where, Z means electrical impedance in the primary coil, generated by the a.c. generator]

Yes but Z isn't constant. The current in the secondary causes a flux which opposes the primary flux and effectively reduces the impedance Z.

Edit: Actually I think the equation should be I1 = V1/Z
Edit: Cross posted with chn1995

cnh1995 said:
Im in case of air core would be 1000 times less than that in case of air core.
What do you mean here?

Aryan Andaleeb said:
What do you mean here?
Permeability of iron is 1000 times more than that of air. So, magnetizing current required will be 1000 times less i.e. you'll get same magnetic flux with 1000 times smaller current. You'll need to study the magnetic behavior of transformer.

Related to Homework help: Transformer Current

1. What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the process of electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as windings, that are connected by a magnetic core.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the secondary winding, which results in the transfer of electrical energy from the primary circuit to the secondary circuit.

3. What is transformer current?

Transformer current refers to the amount of electrical current that flows through the primary and secondary windings of a transformer. It is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the number of turns in each winding.

4. What factors affect transformer current?

The main factors that affect transformer current are the voltage supplied to the primary winding, the number of turns in the primary and secondary windings, and the impedance of the transformer. Additionally, the frequency of the alternating current and the physical characteristics of the transformer, such as its size and shape, can also impact the transformer current.

5. How can I calculate transformer current?

To calculate transformer current, you will need to know the voltage supplied to the primary winding, the number of turns in the primary and secondary windings, and the impedance of the transformer. You can then use the formula I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the impedance. Alternatively, you can use the formula I = Np/Ns x Ip, where Np is the number of turns in the primary winding, Ns is the number of turns in the secondary winding, and Ip is the current in the primary winding.