Homework help: Transfer Function and Half Power Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function and 1/2 power frequency for a circuit with R=200Ω and L=5mH. The transfer function is determined to be H(jw)= R/(R+jωL) and the 1/2 power frequency is calculated to be 6366Hz. The method and results are deemed correct.
Khesahn

Homework Statement

I made a quick drawing of the circuit, and I apologize because I am not good at using the computer to draw circuits! Anyway, in this particular circuit R=200Ω , and L=5mH.

For part a I am supposed to find the Transfer Function H(jw) = (Vout/Vin) in terms of ω.

For part b I am supposed to find the 1/2 power frequency for this filter in hertz.

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I believe I am correct in my thinking here. I used (Vout/Vin) = Zr/(Zr+Zl) which would give me:

H(jw)= R/(R+jωL), and this would be my transfer function. I believe this is correct.

On part B I am a little confused. I am setting the magnitude of my transfer function equal to 1/√2. Therefore I would have:

[ R / √(R^2 + (ωL)^2)] = 1/√2.

After multiplying things out and simplifying my equation here, I came up with that ω=R/L. This would give me ω=(200/.005), which means ω=40000.

Considering I am supposed to find this in Hertz, I used ω=2∏f, therefore f= ω/2∏.

This would give me f = 6366Hz. Am I doing this correctly? I have one of those feelings where I am not going about this in the right way.

Thanks for your help.http://i47.tinypic.com/o5apt0.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and results look fine.

Related to Homework help: Transfer Function and Half Power Frequency

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs and can be used to analyze the behavior of the system.

What is the half power frequency?

The half power frequency, also known as the 3dB frequency, is the frequency at which the output power of a system is half of the input power. This point is important because it represents the point at which the system's response has decreased by 3 decibels.

How is the half power frequency related to the transfer function?

The half power frequency can be determined by finding the frequency at which the magnitude of the transfer function is equal to 0.707, or 1/sqrt(2). This is because at this point, the output power is half of the input power, as explained before.

Why is the half power frequency important?

The half power frequency is important because it is a measure of the bandwidth of a system. It represents the range of frequencies that the system can accurately respond to. A wider bandwidth means that the system can respond to a wider range of frequencies, making it more versatile.

How can the half power frequency be used in real-world applications?

The half power frequency can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing filters for electronic circuits, setting the crossover frequency in audio systems, and determining the resonance frequency in mechanical systems. It is an important parameter in understanding and optimizing the performance of various systems.