Home work help: proving a trigonometric identity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the identity \frac{1}{1+ cos(\theta)}= csc^2(\theta)- csc(\theta)cot(\theta) and the importance of attempting the problem oneself before seeking help. The first step is to change everything to sine and cosine.
___________ =csc2\theta-csc\thetacot\theta
1+cos\theta

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: home work help

Are you asking how to prove the identity [tex]\frac{1}{1+ cos(\theta)}= csc^2(\theta)- csc(\theta)cot(\theta)[/tex]?
Also you labeled this "home work" help. Did you make any attempt at this yourself or do you just want someone to do your home work for you?

My first reaction for a problem like this is always to change every thing to sine and cosine:
[tex]\frac{1}{1+ cos(\theta)}= \frac{1}{sin^2(\theta)}- \frac{1}{sin(\theta)}\frac{cos(\theta)}{sin(\theta)}[/tex]

816318 said:

[tex]\frac{1}{1 + \cos\theta} \;=\; \csc^2\theta-\csc\theta\cot\theta[/tex] []/size]

[tex]RHS \;\;=\;\;\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta} - \frac{1}{\sin\theta}\frac{\cos\theta}{\sin\theta} \;\;=\;\;\frac{1-\cos\theta}{\sin^2\theta} \;\;=\;\;\frac{1-\cos\theta}{1-\cos^2\theta} [/tex]

. . . . . [tex]=\;\;\frac{1-\cos\theta}{(1-\cos\theta)(1+\cos\theta)} \;\;=\;\;\frac{1}{1+\cos\theta} \;\;=\;\; LHS[/tex]

$$\frac{1}{1+\cos(\theta)}\cdot\frac{1-\cos(\theta)}{1-\cos(\theta)}=\frac{1-\cos(\theta)}{\sin^2(\theta)}=\csc^2(\theta)-\csc(\theta)\cot(\theta)$$

Re: home work help

HallsofIvy said:
Are you asking how to prove the identity [tex]\frac{1}{1+ cos(\theta)}= csc^2(\theta)- csc(\theta)cot(\theta)[/tex]?
Also you labeled this "home work" help. Did you make any attempt at this yourself or do you just want someone to do your home work for you?

My first reaction for a problem like this is always to change every thing to sine and cosine:
[tex]\frac{1}{1+ cos(\theta)}= \frac{1}{sin^2(\theta)}- \frac{1}{sin(\theta)}\frac{cos(\theta)}{sin(\theta)}[/tex]

Thanks buddy, the first step was all that was needed to solve the rest!

Related to Home work help: proving a trigonometric identity

1. How do I start proving a trigonometric identity for my homework?

To start proving a trigonometric identity, you should first identify the given identity and the desired result. Then, use the fundamental identities and algebraic manipulations to transform one side of the equation into the other. It is also helpful to make note of any restrictions on the variables.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities for proving identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities for proving identities are the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities can be used to simplify expressions and manipulate them into the desired form.

3. How can I check if my proof for a trigonometric identity is correct?

To check if your proof for a trigonometric identity is correct, you can substitute values for the variables and verify that the equation holds true on both sides. You can also use a calculator or trigonometric tables to evaluate the expressions and compare the results.

4. What are some tips for solving tricky trigonometric identities?

Solving tricky trigonometric identities requires a combination of algebraic skills and a good understanding of the properties of trigonometric functions. Some tips include simplifying expressions, using identities to manipulate the equation, and breaking down complex expressions into smaller parts.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving trigonometric identities?

To improve your skills in proving trigonometric identities, practice is key. Work through different types of identities and try to solve them using different methods. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and solve identities together.