Home water filter for faucet or refrigerator

In summary, the conversation discusses different options for water filters, including faucet-mounted filters, in-fridge filters, pitcher filters, and under-the-sink filters. The benefits and drawbacks of each type are mentioned, as well as personal experiences with using them. The overall consensus is that a filter is not necessary for water quality, but it can improve taste. The recommended filters include the Kenmore countertop filter and the NSA under-sink filter.
Loren Booda
What do you recommend for a water filter that either fits on one's faucet or utilizes a pitcher?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have both. We use the pitcher more, simply because the water is colder when it has been in the fridge compared to out of our tap. Not much difference though except that :-). Whichever is cheaper.

My refrigerator has a water filter in it so all of my ice and water are filtered. The downside is is, the damn water filter picks up all of the refrigerator odors, so now all of my ice and water smell like fish. Don't get a fancy fridge with a built in filter, it's a rip off, unless you never put anything in your fridge.

In other words, in-fridge filters work fine for single males, like me.. :biggrin:

I never had a problem with an in-fridge filter picking up refrigerator odors. The filter isn't actually IN the fridge, it's usually on the water line leading into the fridge. You do, however, need to change the filter periodically, which I don't think a lot of people know to do or bother to do, and that sort of defeats the entire purpose.

The Brita pitcher filters are fine, and we have some odorous water in this town. Use filtered water for your cofee & tea...what a difference! Pur filter-pitchers are also good.

Moonbear said:
I never had a problem with an in-fridge filter picking up refrigerator odors. The filter isn't actually IN the fridge, it's usually on the water line leading into the fridge. You do, however, need to change the filter periodically, which I don't think a lot of people know to do or bother to do, and that sort of defeats the entire purpose.
Mine is in the fridge. It has a digital readout showing status of the filter and when to replace it, and believe me, it picks up the fridge odors.

Here is what I prefer to use

http://img106.echo.cx/img106/885/wellsyslabeled3bo.jpg

All hail Ivan, Lord of the Water Filter. :!)

Evo said:
All hail Ivan, Lord of the Water Filter. :!)

:smile: Yeah, I probably get to lay claim to that one. But the title only comes with the price of the next twenty years of water all at once, and really bad water. :biggrin:

Oh dear Ivan, you know MS paint went away with dos, right?

How sad, :frown:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Oh dear Ivan, you know MS paint went away with dos, right?

How sad, :frown:

You are so cute. You wouldn't be one of those hobbits would you?

Hairy toes my f'in achin arse! :smile:

I settled on the Consumer Reports featured (May 2007) best buy and top rated countertop filter, a frugal Kenmore model. It cost me $50.00 w/1 filter, and $15.00 for each additional filter (which lasts about one year).

It works quite well, with neutral taste, although I would prefer colder water. My previous, bottled water tasted as if its plastic container leached after awhile.

Thanks for y'all's feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170109282090" , an under the sink NSA water filter that lasts three years. The quality of my water coming out of the tap ends up as good as bottled water without any plastic taste. You can also get NSA filters for your frig.

I was first sold on having a water filter when my sister bought a goldfish and it died as soon as she changed the water. She took it back and the 2nd one died too. While the 3rd one was dying she ran out and bought one of the attach to the faucet type filters. When she put the fish into the clean water it lived. And to think I was drinking that crappy water for years before that.

If I made iced tea with unfiltered water, the taste would change after one day. When I used the faucet filter it would last three days. But with the NSA filter the tea doesn't go bad at all. All I can suggest is don't go with one of the attach to the faucet or pitcher style filters, because they don't do half as well as a good under the sink type filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an under the counter dual cartridge filter form the Home Depot. I used to use a faucet mount ,but my wife was always banging the thing wih pots and pans.

Home Depot carries the GE line of water filters. Its hard to tell who actually makes the filters. I have a GE water heater from Home Depot that was made by Rheem in Mexico.

Donski said:
I was first sold on having a water filter when my sister bought a goldfish and it died as soon as she changed the water. She took it back and the 2nd one died too. While the 3rd one was dying she ran out and bought one of the attach to the faucet type filters. When she put the fish into the clean water it lived. And to think I was drinking that crappy water for years before that.

That's not crappy water, that's normal chlorinated water! All you needed to do was let the water sit out a day before using it for the chlorine to evaporate out. This is common practice for changing water in aquariums. Anyone's tap water will kill a fish.

The only reason one really needs a filter is for taste, not because those do anything much for water quality (with the exception of set-ups like Ivan's that are filtering well water rather than city water). For example, the water in this town has a high mineral content. Out where I am, it's not so bad, but in other areas, the water has a distinctly metallic taste from the iron content. I sometimes wonder if it's a bioavailable iron that will keep everyone around here from becoming anemic, but it sure tastes bad. So, yeah, someone with that water would probably want a filter. Nothing harmful about the water, just bad taste (and discolors stuff). I've also lived in places very close to water treatment plants, and they were obviously chlorinating in the line, so my water smelled like it came straight from a swimming pool. I used filters then too (or just let the water sit in a pitcher a day, but filters were faster). Again, nothing wrong with drinking it, but it just didn't taste good.

Hmm...Evo, I've never seen (or at least didn't realize it if I did) a refrigerator with the filter inside it like that. I'll make a mental note to never buy one of those now that I know they have that problem of picking up food odors. Bad enough when your ice cubes pick up odors, let alone the drinking water too. (I would never consider the fridges with the water in the door anyway because I don't like my water cold. I prefer room temperature.)

Moonbear said:
That's not crappy water, that's normal chlorinated water! All you needed to do was let the water sit out a day before using it for the chlorine to evaporate out. This is common practice for changing water in aquariums. Anyone's tap water will kill a fish.

Yeah, I figured that out later. It's also the reason some dogs prefer to drink out of the toilet instead of the water you just put in their bowl. The water in the toilet had time for the chlorine to evaporate while the water in their bowl smells like a swimming pool to them. :wink:

But still, filtered water tastes better. :biggrin:

edward,

my wife was always banging the thing wih pots and pans

I hope her helpmate also bangs pots and pans.:smile:

W brought a Culligan cooler (which takes 20+- litre bottles) when she moved here. The bottles are about $5 each and last a few days. The cooler is now being used as a planter, and we drink tap water. There's no difference in the taste. I plan to fit an input valve to the top of a bottle to refill from the tap and utilize the cooling function of the base. Just for the hell of it, I think that I'll put a ****load of plastic plants and fish inside to make it look like an aquarium.
Every once in a while too many moose **** in the river and we get a 'boil water' advisory, but after boiling it still tastes better than the crap in the bottles.

Related to Home water filter for faucet or refrigerator

1. What is a home water filter for faucet or refrigerator?

A home water filter for faucet or refrigerator is a device that is used to remove impurities and contaminants from tap water. It is installed on the faucet or refrigerator and works by passing the water through different layers of filtration media, such as activated carbon, to remove particles and chemicals.

2. What are the benefits of using a home water filter for faucet or refrigerator?

There are several benefits to using a home water filter for faucet or refrigerator. Firstly, it improves the taste and smell of tap water by removing chlorine and other chemicals. It also removes impurities such as dirt, rust, and sediment, making the water safer to drink. Additionally, using a filter can save money and reduce plastic waste by eliminating the need to buy bottled water.

3. How do I know if I need a home water filter for my faucet or refrigerator?

If you are concerned about the quality of your tap water or notice a strange taste or smell, it may be a good idea to invest in a home water filter. You can also test your water using a water testing kit to determine the level of impurities and contaminants present. If the results show high levels, a water filter may be necessary.

4. What types of contaminants can a home water filter for faucet or refrigerator remove?

A home water filter for faucet or refrigerator can remove a variety of contaminants, including chlorine, lead, mercury, pesticides, bacteria, and viruses. The specific contaminants that a filter can remove will depend on the type of filtration media used and the filter's quality.

5. How often do I need to replace the filter on my home water filter for faucet or refrigerator?

The frequency of filter replacement will vary depending on the type and quality of the filter, as well as the amount of daily water usage. Generally, it is recommended to replace the filter every 3-6 months to ensure it is working effectively. Some filters have a built-in indicator that will alert you when it is time to replace the filter.