History channel: Alien engineering show

In summary, a conversation was had about a show on the History channel called "Alien Engineering" which explored the premise of alien technology and its relation to science. Some believed it could attract kids to science, while others were concerned about it fueling pseudoscience. The show was a mix of science fiction and real-world physics and included interviews with various scientists. Some viewers were worried about the show being taken as fact, despite the disclaimers. There was also discussion about the potential impact on future generations and their beliefs about science and technology.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
History channel: "Alien engineering" show

I'm curious if anyone saw this show, or part of it. (I only watched part, it was rather long).

For a rather ga-ga premise, the show seemed to be fairly serious. A friend of mine commented that it might attract kids to science. I know I don't want to start moderating a flood of questions on the "alien anti-gravity drive", though :-).

So, will shows like this turn out to be good for science in the long run, or will they just fuel pseudoscience?

Science news on Phys.org
The problem that I have is the impression given that we really have a captured flying saucer. I know from experience that many viewers will take this all as fact. Then again, I don't know that this is avoidable for any science subject. There are those who will take perfectly valid statements and create complete nonsense from it no matter what you say. So perhaps for those who would benefit from the material covered, the context is understood and not a problem. But I think that it should have been made more clear that the premise was fictional and not based on any specific claims. And when I think about it, really that gets dicey because it WAS based on specific claims that they define to be science fiction.

I wanted to check and see if this was the same show that I was thinking of, and spotted this.

In Mid-February, I was featured as one of the scientists interviewed on television for a show, "Alien Engineering," on the History channel, along with a lot of other scientists such as Lawrence Krauss, Seth Shostak, Frank Drake, Marc Millis, and others. This was a lot of fun. The premise of the show was halfway between "The X Files" and "The Physics of Star Trek." It was: suppose UFOs really were flying saucers from an alien civilization-- if so, what would be the physics behind them? It was an explicitly science-fiction premise, used as a springboard to do illuminate some real-world physics thinking.

My one quibble is that the show didn't give quite enough emphasis to the fact that the premise was science fiction... [continued]
http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/UFO.html

Alien_Engineering.jpg

Last edited:
It was a pretty interesting show (the parts I watched anyway), but like Ivan, I'm concerned that those who started watching mid-show and didn't catch the disclaimers periodically dispersed around commercial breaks could have been misled into believing it was true rather than tongue-in-cheek. I was actually laughing over it, because it just seemed to be done in a way that was poking fun at many of the things people claim about "flying saucers" including them being saucers, while actually including interesting factual tidbits about current science and technology.

For example, when they were talking about the sudden turns of the flying saucers, and would say something like, "But of course, all they needed to do was have a device to stop inertia, or else the aliens would be nothing but wet spots on the windshield." :smile:

Did anyone watch the Tv mockumentary "When cars attack?" It was made like a serious expose, but it was a joke. Unfortnately a lot of people thought it was real...

Does anyone have a video of that show?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406336/#comment

I once had a guy swear that you can buy hoverboards, just like those in the movie, Back to the Future. And of course this was back when the movies were popular. So here was a movie that was clearly fiction, but it didn't matter.

Coming next, the Harry Potter Generation. Will we soon be debunking magic-wand claims? Should we anticipate an invasion of dragons and three-headed dogs?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The problem that I have is the impression given that we really have a captured flying saucer. I know from experience that many viewers will take this all as fact.

That was one of my concerns as well, probably from having run into the same people here on the forums.

I wanted to check and see if this was the same show that I was thinking of, and spotted this.

Yep, that's the show I had in mind.

Last edited:
I had seen that show on history channel. I didn't believe everything they said but on the whole the show was "just" entertaining. :biggrin:

Related to History channel: Alien engineering show

1. What is the premise of the "Alien Engineering" show on the History Channel?

The show explores the possibility of extraterrestrial beings having influenced human history through advanced technology and engineering feats.

2. Is the "Alien Engineering" show based on factual evidence?

The show presents theories and speculations based on historical and scientific evidence, but it is ultimately up to the viewer to decide what they believe.

3. Are there any experts or scientists featured on the "Alien Engineering" show?

Yes, the show features interviews with scientists, historians, and engineers who share their knowledge and opinions on the topic.

4. What kind of technology and engineering feats are explored on the "Alien Engineering" show?

The show covers a wide range of topics, including ancient structures, advanced weaponry, and ancient texts that may contain clues of extraterrestrial influence.

5. Is there any evidence to support the claims made on the "Alien Engineering" show?

While there is no concrete evidence to prove the theories presented on the show, there have been various archaeological findings and historical events that have sparked discussion and speculation about extraterrestrial involvement in human history.