Hippacros star catalogue - astrometric calculations

In summary, Tim is looking for information on fields in the Hipparcos star catalogue as he works on his own space simulator program. He is specifically interested in learning about astrometrics and calculations related to parallax, proper motion, radial velocity, color index, spectral class, and magnitude. Tim has a strong background in calculus and a computer science degree, and he has been researching astrophysics and astronomy through textbooks and websites. He is still searching for a good textbook on astrophysics, particularly one that covers stellar structures and the use of color index in determining a star's color. Tim is also interested in learning more about Hipparcos and its data fields, as well as finding information on color index and its relation to RGB
Sword7
I am figuring out what are fields in Hippacros star catalogue because I am working on my own space simulator program much like Celestia and Orbiter. That data file is very new to me for my programming.

Does anyone recommend any good books that teach about Hippacros for astrometrics and calculations, etc?

Does anyone know any calculation about parallax (distance determination), proper motion and radial velocity (3D velocity), color index, spectral class, and magnitude to display star in sky?

Thanks!
Tim

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is a wealth of information availible on the web and in basically any textbook on astronomy. What is your background in physics and mathematics?

Ok, I have strong background in Calculus. I am currently learning some about physics like gravity, etc. I did wrote a program to simulate orbit by using gravity formula. I received computer science degree when I graduated from college. Now I am interested in astrophysics and astronomy for my 3D space engine program like space flight simulator.

I did checked some websites about astronomy and astrophysics. I prefer astrophysics textbook for great wealth of mathematics formula. I got "3D Astronomy with Java", "Astronomical Algorithms", and "Methods of Orbit Determination for the Microcomputer" from Willmann-Bell website.

I still need find good astrophysics textbook to explain about stellar structures with deep mathematics like color index, astrometry, etc. I checked Amazon.com and find a book called "Stellar Astrophysics". I think that it might be good textbook. Also, I find "Astrophysics with a PC" at Willmann-Bell website. I am still looking for astrometry textbook to explain about stellar for catalogue data files.

I read many astronomy books about some mathematics but they did not teach about star catalogue for calculations to display a star because I did not understand some fields are for like error rate, etc for accuracy. I will use basic numbers like RA, dec, and mag and will determine error rates, etc. later.

I still need to find some information about color index to determine color value like RGB value (blackbody radiation and apparent color) by using color index or B-mag/V-mag from catalogue data.

Thanks!
Tim

Sword7 said:
Ok, I have strong background in Calculus. I am currently learning some about physics like gravity, etc. I did wrote a program to simulate orbit by using gravity formula. I received computer science degree when I graduated from college. Now I am interested in astrophysics and astronomy for my 3D space engine program like space flight simulator.

I did checked some websites about astronomy and astrophysics. I prefer astrophysics textbook for great wealth of mathematics formula. I got "3D Astronomy with Java", "Astronomical Algorithms", and "Methods of Orbit Determination for the Microcomputer" from Willmann-Bell website.

I still need find good astrophysics textbook to explain about stellar structures with deep mathematics like color index, astrometry, etc. I checked Amazon.com and find a book called "Stellar Astrophysics". I think that it might be good textbook. Also, I find "Astrophysics with a PC" at Willmann-Bell website.

That sounds like a solid library.

I am still looking for astrometry textbook to explain about stellar for catalogue data files.

I read many astronomy books about some mathematics but they did not teach about star catalogue for calculations to display a star because I did not understand some fields are for like error rate, etc for accuracy. I will use basic numbers like RA, dec, and mag and will determine error rates, etc. later.

I don't think you'll be able to find a "Stellar Catalogues for PC" book but there is a huge amount of info on Hipparcos at:
http://www.rssd.esa.int/index.php?project=HIPPARCOS&page=Overview

A detailed (138 pages) of the data fields (part of Vol 1 of the catalogue) is availible here: http://www.rssd.esa.int/SA-general/Projects/Hipparcos/pstex/sect2_01.pdf

I still need to find some information about color index to determine color value like RGB value (blackbody radiation and apparent color) by using color index or B-mag/V-mag from catalogue data.

Here is one approach: http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/starcolor/details.html

I would suggest consulting scientific databases or online resources for information on Hippacros star catalogue and astrometric calculations. There are also numerous books and articles available on astrometry and celestial mechanics that may be helpful in understanding the data file and incorporating it into your space simulator program. In terms of calculations, parallax, proper motion, and radial velocity can all be determined using trigonometry and the laws of celestial mechanics. Color index, spectral class, and magnitude can be obtained from the Hippacros star catalogue itself. I recommend thoroughly researching and understanding these concepts before attempting to display stars in the sky. Good luck with your program!

Related to Hippacros star catalogue - astrometric calculations

1. What is the Hippacros star catalogue?

The Hippacros star catalogue is a comprehensive database of stars compiled by the Hippacros Space Agency. It contains detailed information on the positions, distances, and brightness of over 100 million stars in the Milky Way galaxy.

2. What are astrometric calculations?

Astrometric calculations involve measuring the positions and movements of celestial objects, such as stars, in the sky. This data is used to create accurate maps of the night sky and to track the motion of stars over time.

3. How is the Hippacros star catalogue created?

The Hippacros star catalogue is created using data collected from various sources, including ground-based telescopes and space-based observatories. This data is then processed and analyzed using sophisticated algorithms and software to determine the positions and other characteristics of stars.

4. What is the significance of the Hippacros star catalogue?

The Hippacros star catalogue is an important resource for astronomers and scientists studying the universe. It provides a vast amount of data on stars, which can be used to study their evolution, formation, and movements. It also helps in the navigation and tracking of objects in space.

5. How accurate are the astrometric calculations in the Hippacros star catalogue?

The astrometric calculations in the Hippacros star catalogue are highly accurate, with an average margin of error of less than 0.1 arcseconds. This level of precision is crucial for accurately tracking the movements of stars and other celestial objects.