Hilbert action according to robert wald

• Thread starter naughtyeskimo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hilbert
In summary, the person is new to forums and is holding a seminar on a variation of the Hilbert action in general relativity. They are seeking help with a question related to the variation of the Ricci tensor with respect to a parameter. They mention that Wald's book uses a result from chapter 7, where they assume the solution of Einstein's equation for the calculation. They are wondering if there is a good explanation for using this equation to derive itself. Another person suggests an easier method found in Carroll's derivation on page 114. They also express their dislike for Wald's book, stating that some things are unnecessarily complicated.
naughtyeskimo
hi everyone
i'm brand new to forums and I'm holdin a seminar on a variation of the hilbert action as described in wald's book general relativity. if anyone knows that book and topic pretty well maybe you can help me, my question is this:

for the variation [itex]\delta R_{ab}[/itex] with respect to parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex] of the ricci tensor [itex]R_{ab} [/itex] wald uses a result from the end of chapter 7, where he assumes [itex] g_0^{ab}[/itex] to be a solution of einstein's equation, so in the calculation of [itex]\delta R_{ab}[/itex] he assumes already that [itex]R_{ab} = 0[/itex] at $\lambda = 0$ so he works it out in terms of the tensor [itex]C^c_{ab}[/itex] (the tensor difference between two covariant derivatives).

my problem is: he uses einstein's equation on the unperturbed metric to fish out [itex]\delta R_{ab}[/itex], then uses that to derive einstein's equation with the hilbert action.

is there a good explanation for using this equation to derive this very same equation? i hope i explained myself clearly enough.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Carroll's derivation seems pretty straight forward (see pg. 114): http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grnotes-four.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks very much, that is an easier method. good work.

That's one reason I've never really liked Wald's book. Some things are being made much more complicated than necessary, unless you're a die-hard mathematician. Indeed, the easiest way is to apply the variation directly to the definition of the Ricci tensor and use covariance arguments (or do the whole calculation).

Related to Hilbert action according to robert wald

1. What is the Hilbert action according to Robert Wald?

The Hilbert action, also known as the Einstein-Hilbert action, is a mathematical expression that is used in the theory of general relativity to describe the behavior of gravity. It was first introduced by David Hilbert and Albert Einstein in 1915 as part of the equation for the theory of general relativity. Robert Wald, a physicist and mathematical physicist, has done extensive research and published numerous papers on the subject.

2. How is the Hilbert action related to general relativity?

The Hilbert action is a mathematical expression that is an essential part of the theory of general relativity. It is used to describe the behavior of gravity and its effects on the curvature of space and time. The equations derived from the Hilbert action are used to describe the motion of objects in the presence of massive bodies and to predict the behavior of gravity in various situations.

3. What are the key components of the Hilbert action?

The Hilbert action is made up of several key components, including the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of space and time, and the Ricci scalar, which represents the curvature of space-time. It also includes the cosmological constant, which is a term used to account for the expansion of the universe, and the matter fields, which represent the distribution of matter and energy in space.

4. How is the Hilbert action used in cosmology?

The Hilbert action is used extensively in cosmology, the study of the origin and evolution of the universe. It is used to describe the behavior of gravity and the curvature of space and time, which play a crucial role in understanding the expansion of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters. The equations derived from the Hilbert action are also used to make predictions about the future of the universe.

5. What are some current research topics related to the Hilbert action according to Robert Wald?

Robert Wald's research on the Hilbert action has led to many new areas of study, including the emergence of quantum gravity and the understanding of black holes. His work has also influenced research on the cosmological constant and its role in the expansion of the universe. Recently, there has been a growing interest in using the Hilbert action to study the behavior of gravity in higher dimensions and in alternative theories of gravity.