Highschool math/ physics teacher / Nuclear engineer.

In summary: I also like the people I work with. We have a great sense of humour and are always willing to help each other out. In summary, almost all jobs are stressful, but nuclear engineering is a lot of fun and the pay is good.
cragar
Have any of you worked as a high school math or physics teacher or nuclear engineer?
If so do you like your job? Is your job stressful. Would you do it again? What other jobs in math or science have you had that you liked?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost all jobs are stressful. It is a fact of modern life.

I love my job. I would study electrical engineering again.

But some people would truly hate it. The secret is to get to know yourself well enough to know what YOU want. It's harder than it sounds. The key is to keep your options open and be honest with yourself about your experiences.

I am entering a nuclear engineering PhD program this fall and did a BS in ME and a BS in physics. I know someone who works as a high school physics teacher, there is an incredible amount of take-home work for any high school teacher, so the same would probably be true of a math teacher. I enjoy nuclear engineering a lot. Also the starting pay where I live for BS in nuclear engineering is $65K vs. $40K for a high school teacher. Based on these facts I would do nuclear but I don't know enough info to tell you more for your case.

I thought about being a high school teacher because I like explaining math stuff to people and doing physics demonstrations for people. And I would get the summers off so I could do stuff during the summer. Working in industry you wouldn't get the summers off. If you teach for 20 years can't you retire with the state?
@ analogdesign: what do you love about your job?
@ Fusiontron : What do you like about nuclear engineering

Nuclear engineering encompasses both technical and social topics. You have to know a lot about engineering and physics but also political topics such as licensing. It is something you can study and still talk about with non-technical people at some level.

what do like about the physics and math used in nuclear engineering. Nuke engineering seems very physical and you can picture it, not as abstract as QM.

Regarding summers off for a high school teacher, while you do get more time off than most professions keep in mind that you actually have a lot to do development work and so on during the summer.

And typically you can't retire with a pension until you are in your 60s, so much more than 20 years although that depends a lot on district.

As for me I love many things about my job. I love how challenging and intellectually stimulating it is. I love that after many years I'm finally getting to the point that I understand something deeply. That's a beautiful feeling most people don't get a chance to experience.

Related to Highschool math/ physics teacher / Nuclear engineer.

1. What subjects do high school math/physics teachers typically teach?

High school math/physics teachers typically teach algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and physics.

2. What qualifications are required to become a high school math/physics teacher?

To become a high school math/physics teacher, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in education with a focus on math/physics, as well as a teaching license or certification in the state where they plan to teach.

3. What skills are important for a successful career as a high school math/physics teacher?

Some important skills for a successful career as a high school math/physics teacher include strong communication and organization skills, the ability to explain complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner, and a passion for teaching and helping students learn.

4. What are the job duties of a nuclear engineer?

Nuclear engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities. They also work on projects related to nuclear energy and nuclear weapons, and may be involved in research and development of new technologies and processes.

5. What education and training is required to become a nuclear engineer?

To become a nuclear engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field. Many employers also require a master's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field. On-the-job training and professional development opportunities are also important for success in this field.