Higher Order Differential Equation

In summary, the individual is seeking a shorter method for solving the given IVP equation, which involves finding the derivatives of the solution. They have already tried combining terms and looking for patterns, but are wondering if there is a more efficient approach. The expert suggests factoring the exponential and utilizing the product rule to simplify the process.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

##y^{(4)} + y = 0, y(0)=0, y'(0)=0,y''(0)=-1,y'''(0)=0##

My issue with this equation is not with the steps, I don't believe but the solving of the IVP, the derivatives of my solution end up being close to 32 terms long, and I was wondering if there is any shorter method I could use without having to figure out the close to 50 terms for all 3 derivatives combined.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-7-19_22-58-46.png

(ignore the ##c_3## next to my ##c_4## term, that was a typo)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can always plug it back in and show with pencil and paper that the solution satisfies the original diff eq and all the initial conditions.

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:
You can always plug it back in and show with pencul and panper that the solution satisfies the original diff eq and all the initial conditions.
"pencul and panper"?

Sorry about that. Typing too fast with too little coffee.

SteamKing said:
"pencul and panper"?
Dr. Courtney is extremely old- "pencul and panper" were used before pencil and paper were invented.

RyanTAsher said:
My issue with this equation is not with the steps, I don't believe but the solving of the IVP, the derivatives of my solution end up being close to 32 terms long, and I was wondering if there is any shorter method I could use without having to figure out the close to 50 terms for all 3 derivatives combined.
Combine terms as you go along and look for patterns. For example, consider the terms ##f(x) = c_1 e^{ax}\cos ax + c_2 e^{ax}\sin ax##. First, factor the exponential out so you only have to do the product rule once. When you differentiate, you get
\begin{align*}
f'(x) &= a e^{ax}(c_1 \cos ax + c_2\sin ax) + e^{ax}(-a c_1 \sin ax + a c_2 \cos ax) \\
&= a e^{ax} [(c_1+c_2)\cos ax + (c_2-c_1)\sin ax].
\end{align*} Note that this is essentially the same form you started with, so you can easily write down the second derivative without much effort:
\begin{align*}
f''(x) &= a^2 e^{ax} [((c_1+c_2)+(c_2-c_1)) \cos ax + ((c_2-c_1)-(c_1+c_2))\sin ax] \\
&= a^2 e^{ax} [2c_2 \cos ax - 2c_1 \sin ax] \\
&= 2 a^2 e^{ax} [c_2 \cos ax - c_1 \sin ax]
\end{align*} So in comparison to f(x), differentiating twice produced an overall factor of ##2a^2##, changed ##\sin x## into ##\cos x##, and changed ##\cos x## into ##{-\sin x}##. You should be able to convince yourself that ##f''''(x) = -4a^4 e^{ax}(c_1 \cos ax + c_2 \sin ax)##.

Last edited:

Related to Higher Order Differential Equation

1. What is a higher order differential equation?

A higher order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves derivatives of a dependent variable with respect to one or more independent variables. These equations are used to model and describe many physical systems in science and engineering.

2. How does a higher order differential equation differ from a regular differential equation?

A regular differential equation typically involves only first and/or second order derivatives, while a higher order differential equation involves derivatives of third order or higher. This makes higher order differential equations more complex and difficult to solve analytically.

3. What are the applications of higher order differential equations?

Higher order differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze systems such as oscillating springs, electromagnetic fields, population growth, and chemical reactions.

4. How are higher order differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving higher order differential equations, including analytical methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and variation of parameters. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, are also commonly used to approximate solutions.

5. What are the challenges of working with higher order differential equations?

Solving higher order differential equations can be challenging due to their complexity and the lack of general analytical solutions. In addition, the behavior of these equations can be difficult to predict, leading to the need for numerical methods and special techniques for solving them.