Higher order derivatives with help of Taylor expansion?

In summary: Sorry, I did not pay attention that you were asked to develop f = x²*1/(x-1) around x=2.The principle remains the same, however.You just need make a change of variable: y=2-x.Then, you need to develop f = (2-y)²*1/(1-y) around y=0.By developing 1/(1-y) in Taylor series around y=0 you will find the result easily.
nikolafmf

Homework Statement

Function f(x) = x^2/(x-1) should be expanded by Taylor method around point x=2 and 17th order derivative at that point should be calculated.

Homework Equations

Taylor formula: f(x)=f(x0)+f'(x0)*(x-x0)+f''(x0)*(x-x0)^2+...

The Attempt at a Solution

I expand this function by the given formula. However, the problem is that it is tedious work to get 17th order derivative by simply differentiating the function 17 times! I can't imagine any other method. Any suggestion, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Develop 1/(1-x) to sufficient number of terms.
This is very easy, as this is a simple geometric series.
Finding the 17th derivative will then be a piece of cake.

maajdl said:
Develop 1/(1-x) to sufficient number of terms.
This is very easy, as this is a simple geometric series.
Finding the 17th derivative will then be a piece of cake.

But my function is x2/(x-1) and I need the derivative of that function.

Develop 1/(1-x) to sufficient number of terms and then multiply by x².

Sorry, I did not pay attention that you were asked to develop f = x²*1/(x-1) around x=2.
The principle remains the same, however.
You just need make a change of variable: y=2-x.
Then, you need to develop f = (2-y)²*1/(1-y) around y=0.
By developing 1/(1-y) in Taylor series around y=0 you will find the result easily.

You could also start as follows:

x²/(x-1) = (2-y)²/(1-y) = (1+y + 1)²/(1-y) = (1+y) + 2 + 1/(1-y)

and develop 1/(1-y) to get the final result even more easily.

Likes 1 person
Now I know how to calculate particular member in the Taylor expansion. But, the question here is, how to find the form of a general member. The answer of this problem says that the n-th member in Taylor expansion is (-1)^n*(x-2)^n, for n=2 or larger. How can I get this? I have calculated up to the third derivative and my calculation agrees with the given answer, but unfortunately I have no time to calculate up to infinity, nor up to 17th derivative :(.

maajdl said:
Sorry, I did not pay attention that you were asked to develop f = x²*1/(x-1) around x=2.
The principle remains the same, however.
You just need make a change of variable: y=2-x.
By developing 1/(1-y) in Taylor series around y=0 you will find the result easily.

You could also start as follows:

x²/(x-1) = (2-y)²/(1-y) = (1+y + 1)²/(1-y) = (1+y) + 2 + 1/(1-y)

and develop 1/(1-y) to get the final result even more easily.

I guess that in principle we need to know/prove that if an infinite series ##\sum_n c_n y^n## converges in an interval I containing y = 0 in its interior, then that series is, indeed, the Maclauren series expansion of the sum. It might be fun to try to prove this, or to find a counterexample.

maajdl said:

Now the question is to develop f = (2-y)²*1/(1-y). How could developing just 1/(1-y) lead mi to the answer for (2-y)²*1/(1-y)? I can't see...

nikolafmf said:
Now the question is to develop f = (2-y)²*1/(1-y). How could developing just 1/(1-y) lead mi to the answer for (2-y)²*1/(1-y)? I can't see...

Expand the numerator, then do the multiplication and see what you get.

nikolafmf said:

Can you do 1/(1-y) and write down the general term? Once you have that we can work with finishing the question, but it's very hard to describe how to continue the problem without that part done.

As a very basic example, can you write down the Taylor series for ex? Once you have that, how do you write down the Taylor series for xex? It shouldn't involve taking any derivatives at all.

Ray Vickson said:
I guess that in principle we need to know/prove that if an infinite series ##\sum_n c_n y^n## converges in an interval I containing y = 0 in its interior, then that series is, indeed, the Maclauren series expansion of the sum. It might be fun to try to prove this, or to find a counterexample.

The key propositions are
  • a convergent power series converges uniformly on its interval of convergence, and
  • if [itex](f_n)[/itex] is a sequence of differentiable functions converging pointwise to [itex]f[/itex], and if the derivatives [itex]f'_n[/itex] converge uniformly to [itex]g[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable and its derivative is [itex]g[/itex].

From these one can prove that if [itex]f_N(y) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^N c_ny^n \to f[/itex] is such that there exists an open interval [itex]I[/itex] containing zero on which [itex]f_N^{(k)}[/itex] converges for all [itex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/itex], then for all [itex]k \in \mathbb{N}[/itex],
[tex]
f^{(k)}(0) = c_k k!.
[/tex]

It may be possible to show that [itex](f'_N)[/itex] converges wherever [itex](f_N)[/itex] does, which would show that a convergent power series is always its Maclaurin series.

Related to Higher order derivatives with help of Taylor expansion?

1. What are higher order derivatives?

Higher order derivatives refer to the derivatives of a function that are themselves derivatives of previous derivatives. In other words, they are the derivatives of derivatives. For example, the second derivative of a function is a higher order derivative because it is the derivative of the first derivative.

2. What is Taylor expansion?

Taylor expansion is a mathematical method for approximating a function with a polynomial. It is based on the idea that any function can be represented as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a derivative of the function evaluated at a specific point.

3. How can Taylor expansion be used to calculate higher order derivatives?

By using Taylor expansion, we can express a function as a polynomial and then take the derivatives of that polynomial to calculate higher order derivatives. This is particularly useful when the function is too complex to take derivatives directly.

4. Why are higher order derivatives important?

Higher order derivatives are important because they provide information about the rate of change of a function. They can help us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and can be used to approximate the value of a function at a point that is close to the original point.

5. What are some real-world applications of higher order derivatives with Taylor expansion?

Higher order derivatives with Taylor expansion have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, optimize functions, and make predictions based on current data. Some examples include predicting stock prices, optimizing chemical reactions, and designing efficient circuits.