High school algebra 1 topics - have they changed recently?

In summary: Algebra 1" courses. These distinctions are important and should NOT be abandoned. In summary, JasonjasonF thinks that the syllabus for a child switching to a new school system covering fractional exponents, exponential functions, rational functions, and algebra 1 topics such as linear equations, inequalities, systems of equations and inequalities, integer exponents, polynomials and factoring is better than the syllabus for a child switching to a new school system covering algebra 2 topics such as quadratic equations and applications.
jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

One of my children is switching to a new school system next year, and I was surprised to find that they cover subjects such as fractional exponents, exponential functions, rational functions and perhaps other topics as part of algebra 1. Their book has "common core" in the title, if that matters. It appears they revisit those same topics (hopefully in more depth) in algebra 2. I don't recall covering that material at all until algebra 2, but then I took algebra 30+ years ago. Do any of you teachers out there have experience with a similar syllabus, and does your experience indicate that it is better or worse than an algebra 1 course that focuses on the basics? By basics I am thinking linear equations, inequalities, systems of equations and inequalities, integer exponents, polynomials and factoring, and quadratic equations and applications. That is, what I recall learning in algebra 1.

Thanks!

Jason

Science news on Phys.org
jasonF

Hard to say. About 15 years ago, Algebra 1 was still Algebra 1 the way you knew it; and Algebra 2 was Algebra 2 the way you knew it. I have nothing to say about "common core". The equivalent college courses were the same way, just done in shorter time. Something was not right when districts switched to textbooks which supposedly "met State standards". Some of the books seem/ed to become deficient. My opinion is that textbooks of Algebra 1 & 2 from 30 to 45 years ago were very good.

Likes jasonRF
We did exponents, exponential functions, and rational functions in Algebra 2. I am 27 years of age. I work with children, and I noticed that the common core books, appear to be more akin to comic books, then actual math books. Some of the problems are really interesting. However, it requires the student to have a good teacher that supplies the explanation and background. There really is no explanation or background in the common core books. The student is at the mercy of a good teacher, and their not that many "good" math teachers in k-12 in the US.

I would advise to go over a traditional math book "for fun," on the side with your child.

Likes jasonRF
i recommend getting hold of a copy of Harold Jacobson's elememntary algebra book, iof you want your child to actually understand algebra,n regardless of the list of topics they "cover" in your book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0716710471/?tag=pfamazon01-20

by the way, other than understanding the meaning of the symbols, the key to understanding algebra is grasping the concept of a ":variable", and the most important theorems in basic algebra are the division algorithm for polynomials, the consequent root/factor theorem, and the rational root theorem.

the quadratic formula is nice but seldom taught today in a way that explains what is going on. The ancient books made that clear. i.e. in a quadratic equation X^2-bX +c = 0, the coefficient b is the sum r+s = b of the roots r,s and the coefficient c is the product c = rs of those roots. Hence if we could learn the difference of the roots r-s, then we could combine that with b and get the roots themselves. but fortunately the sum and the difference have similar squares, i.e. they only differ by 4 times the product, i.e. ((r-s)^2 +4rs = (r+s)^2 = b^2. hence (r-s)^2 = b^2 - 4rs = b^2 -4c. Thus r and s can be solved for by 2r, 2s = (r+s) ± (r-s) = b ± sqrt(b^2-4c).

this is less important then the previously mentioned items.

fractional exponents are a trivial consequence of the basic addition rules for exponents. i.e.since a^r.a^s = a^(r+s), necessarily a^(1/2).a^(1/2) = a^(1/2+1/2) = a^1 = a, so a^1/2 = sqrt(a). thus learning the basic rules are more important than memorizing these special facts.

perhaps the greatest elementary - advanced algebra book is that by euler, elements of algebra. in that work he treats fractional exponents in the first section, after the basic properties of arithmetic operations and powers.

here is an appreciation of it:

https://plus.maths.org/content/tale-two-curricula-eulers-algebra-text-book

euler explains solving even cubic equations so clearly that afterwards i was able to explain it to (brilliant) 10 year olds.

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF
mathwonk said this :
...by the way, other than understanding the meaning of the symbols, the key to understanding algebra is grasping the concept of a ":variable", and the most important theorems in basic algebra are the division algorithm for polynomials, the consequent root/factor theorem, and the rational root theorem.

The concept of numeric variable was never trouble for me. It WAS for other students, trouble for them. I often wondered and still do, why this was a difficult concept for so many students.

The only difference in any courses that STILL SHOULD BE, is the distinctions between Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and "College Algebra". Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem, from what I clearly remember, were part of College Algebra but not Intermediate Algebra. We still did deal with roots of some polynomials, especially quadratics. Intermediate level did intensely teach general quadratic formula solution and also Conic Sections (but seemed to be only for two-dimensions).

Likes jasonRF
symbolipoint said:
mathwonk said this :The concept of numeric variable was never trouble for me. It WAS for other students, trouble for them. I often wondered and still do, why this was a difficult concept for so many students.

The only difference in any courses that STILL SHOULD BE, is the distinctions between Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and "College Algebra". Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem, from what I clearly remember, were part of College Algebra but not Intermediate Algebra. We still did deal with roots of some polynomials, especially quadratics. Intermediate level did intensely teach general quadratic formula solution and also Conic Sections (but seemed to be only for two-dimensions).

Whats amazing is too, is that a lot of the community colleges in California are removing conic sections from the Intermediate algebra class. It is now called optional. Even more scary, is that it is being ignored in pre-calculus.

I know for a fact that this policy has been implemented in the los angeles community college district.
I fear for us all!

Likes jasonRF
MidgetDwarf said:
Whats amazing is too, is that a lot of the community colleges in California are removing conic sections from the Intermediate algebra class. It is now called optional. Even more scary, is that it is being ignored in pre-calculus.

I know for a fact that this policy has been implemented in the los angeles community college district.
I fear for us all!
Bad! Really bad! To cut that out of Pre-Calculus/College Algebra? It is just too essential, and MUST be included in both. Quadratic Formula studies is a prerequisite to dealing with Conic Sections, and Conic Sections is also a typical and necessary part of studying Calculus, useful in Physics, Engineering, often which include some studies of Optics.

Likes jasonRF
symbolipoint said:
The concept of numeric variable was never trouble for me. It WAS for other students, trouble for them. I often wondered and still do, why this was a difficult concept for so many students.
"x" is introduced as "the unknown" to be solved for in some courses, and that is the only definition of "x" that sticks in student minds, that it is an "unknown."

Likes jasonRF
Thank you all for your comments. I may pick up a copy of Jacobson's book. Older books seem to be better for basic subjects anyway.

Cheers!

Jason

Related to High school algebra 1 topics - have they changed recently?

1. What topics are typically covered in high school algebra 1?

In high school algebra 1, students typically learn about basic algebraic concepts such as simplifying expressions, solving equations and inequalities, graphing linear and quadratic equations, and working with polynomials and exponents. They also cover topics such as systems of equations, functions, and introductory concepts of geometry and trigonometry.

2. Have the topics in high school algebra 1 changed recently?

The main topics covered in high school algebra 1 have remained relatively consistent over the years. However, there may be slight variations in curriculum depending on the school or district. Additionally, with advancements in technology, teachers may incorporate more digital tools and resources in their lessons.

3. Are there any new topics being introduced in high school algebra 1?

In recent years, there has been a shift towards incorporating more real-world applications and problem-solving skills in high school algebra 1. This may include topics such as financial literacy, data analysis, and statistics. Additionally, there is a greater emphasis on using technology to enhance learning and understanding of algebraic concepts.

4. How can I prepare for high school algebra 1?

To prepare for high school algebra 1, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic math skills such as arithmetic, fractions, and decimals. Familiarizing yourself with algebraic vocabulary and concepts can also be helpful. Many online resources, textbooks, and practice problems are available for students to use for self-study and preparation.

5. What are some strategies for succeeding in high school algebra 1?

Some strategies for success in high school algebra 1 include practicing regularly, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and actively participating in class. It can also be helpful to make connections between algebraic concepts and real-world examples to better understand and apply the material. Additionally, staying organized and managing time effectively can aid in success in the class.