High K material in High frequency

In summary, a high dielectric constant material (above 5000) can be used to cancel out E-field in some direction (induced by electromagnetism). This material may work in high frequencies above 10MHz, but has not been tested in that range.
Artyman
Hello all
I need a high K material to cancel out E-field in some direction (induced by electromagnetism). This high K material (above 5000) must work in high frequencies above 10MHz. I did use the ceramics but there is no clue that it will work in that range of frequencies or not.
I am really stuck in this issue. I do not know can I use any meta-material or whatever for this performance or not.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Artyman said:
K material (above 5000)
What's "K"? What units are on the 5000 value?

hi,
means high dielectric constant (epsilon r, relative permittivity above 5000) at high frequency

Artyman said:
I need a high K material to cancel out E-field in some direction (induced by electromagnetism)
How does a high dielectric constant material "cancel out" the E-field component of an EM wave?

Likes Artyman
berkeman said:
How does a high dielectric constant material "cancel out" the E-field component of an EM wave?
When you place it in specific direction you can increase the intensity in one direction( for example: when there is two peaks in electric filed intensity)...!

Artyman said:
When you place it in specific direction you can increase the intensity in one direction( for example: when there is two peaks in electric filed intensity)...!
Sorry, that is not making sense so far. Can you provide a reference to what you are saying? A link or two to a description of this effect? That would help a lot...

berkeman said:
Sorry, that is not making sense so far. Can you provide a reference to what you are saying? A link or two to a description of this effect? That would help a lot...
Please forget E-field...
My problem : is there any capacitor( like ceramic one) can have relative permittivity (above 5000) at frequencies above 10 MHz?

Artyman said:
Please forget E-field...
My problem : is there any capacitor( like ceramic one) can have relative permittivity (above 5000) at frequencies above 10 MHz?
5000 is very high for relative permittivity, but you probably know that. Have you researched the materials near the bottom of the Wikipedia article's table that have high values of ε_r like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_permittivity

berkeman said:
5000 is very high for relative permittivity, but you probably know that. Have you researched the materials near the bottom of the Wikipedia article's table that have high values of ε_r like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_permittivity
We could get Relative Permitivity around 5010 for 100Khz. But, I do not know would it work for Higher frequencies or not. I searched a lot but in most cases as frequency increase the relative prmittivity decreases (I think due to increasing the conducting!)

Last edited:
I did a Google search on capacitance versus frequency for different dielectrics, and got some good hits. Here is the hit list:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cap...y+for+different+dielectrics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

This hit on the list looks promising::

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211379716000310

Have you looked into renting or buying an impedance analyzer for your lab? If you are goint to be doing this type of characterisation more in the future, you could probably justify the costs based on what you are going to get out of the instrument. We use the HP 4194 Impedance Analyzer for these types of measurements in our lab:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+4194&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5952-7841.pdf?id=1319286

Hope that helps your work.

Related to High K material in High frequency

What is High K material?

High K material refers to materials that have a high dielectric constant, which is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy. These materials are often used in the fabrication of electronic components, especially those that require high frequency signals.

Why is High K material important in high frequency applications?

High K materials are important in high frequency applications because they have a higher ability to store electrical energy compared to other materials, which allows for better signal transmission and reduced signal loss. This is crucial in high frequency applications where small signal losses can have a significant impact on performance.

What are some examples of High K materials?

Some common High K materials include barium titanate, strontium titanate, and lead zirconate titanate. These materials have a dielectric constant that is significantly higher than traditional materials like silicon dioxide, making them ideal for high frequency applications.

What are the challenges in using High K materials in high frequency?

One of the main challenges in using High K materials in high frequency applications is their stability. These materials can experience changes in their dielectric constant when exposed to high temperatures or high electric fields, which can affect their performance. Additionally, High K materials can be more expensive and difficult to produce compared to traditional materials.

How are High K materials used in high frequency circuits?

High K materials are used in a variety of ways in high frequency circuits, such as in the fabrication of capacitors, inductors, and transmission lines. They can also be used as a dielectric layer in transistors and other active components to improve their performance. Additionally, High K materials can be used in the development of high frequency filters and other RF devices.