Higgs & Inflaton: Does New Boson Discovery Change Anything?

In summary, CERN has announced a 4.9 sigma discovery of a new boson, most likely the Higgs, which raises questions about the existence and properties of other particles. However, the discovery alone does not provide enough information to make any definite conclusions about the existence of the inflaton or other scalar particles. The discovery does, however, remove one objection to the existence of the inflaton.
skydivephil
So now CERN have announced a 4.9 sigma discovery of a new Boson most likely the Higgs does this make the existence of the inlaton more pluasible , less plausible or make no difference whatsoever?

Space news on Phys.org
skydivephil said:
So now CERN have announced a 4.9 sigma discovery of a new Boson most likely the Higgs does this make the existence of the inlaton more pluasible , less plausible or make no difference whatsoever?
I don't see how it makes a difference. Any difference the Higgs discovery will make depends upon its properties and what they say about the details of high energy physics. That is to say, is the Higgs precisely a standard model Higgs, or are there measurable differences? There *may* be a deficiency in the tau/anti-tau decay signal, which could give some clues, but the statistics aren't there yet to be sure.

Once the properties of this particle are more precisely-determined, we should have a clearer picture of what the Higgs has to say about high-energy physics. And that may or may not inform us about the details of inflation (inflation can easily happen at even higher energies, energies that are not accessible at the LHC).

I wasnt thinking along those lines, clealry the LHC is very far from the energy scales of inflation. I was thinking now we have a firm example of a scalar boson, did we have that before already or not?

skydivephil said:
I wasnt thinking along those lines, clealry the LHC is very far from the energy scales of inflation. I was thinking now we have a firm example of a scalar boson, did we have that before already or not?
No, but I'm not sure anybody within physics thought that was a problem.

Yes I do think it was no suprise. But if the Higgs was shown not to exist do you not think that maybe that would make the existence of another scalar ie the inflaton a little less likely ?

skydivephil said:
Yes I do think it was no suprise. But if the Higgs was shown not to exist do you not think that maybe that would make the existence of another scalar ie the inflaton a little less likely ?
Perhaps you mean a little less unlikely? Personally, no, I don't think so at all. Perhaps it removes one specious objection to the inflaton, but that's it.

Yes that's kind of what I was thinking, thanks for the reply Chalnoth

All of the "elementary particles" with spin 0 known until now are mesons, and those are quark-antiquark bound states. It's possible to have spin-0 glueballs and spin-0 tetraquarks and the like, but I don't know of any convincing claims that any of them have discovered.

"Elementary particle" is now a misnomer for hadrons, since hadrons are bound states. It's like how "atom" is now a misnomer.Despite their both having spin 0, the Higgs particle cannot be the inflaton, of course. Their energy scales are too different.

Related to Higgs & Inflaton: Does New Boson Discovery Change Anything?

1. What is the Higgs boson and why is its discovery significant?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was first predicted by physicist Peter Higgs in the 1960s. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving other particles their mass. This discovery was significant because it completed the Standard Model of particle physics, which explains the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. How does the discovery of the Higgs boson affect our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of the Higgs boson has confirmed our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It has also provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which plays a crucial role in the formation of the universe and the creation of mass.

3. What is the inflaton and how does it relate to the Higgs boson?

The inflaton is a hypothetical particle that is believed to have played a crucial role in the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. It is closely related to the Higgs boson as both are fundamental particles that were present during the formation of the universe.

4. Does the discovery of the Higgs boson have any practical applications?

While the discovery of the Higgs boson has greatly advanced our understanding of the universe, it currently has no practical applications. However, scientists are continuing to study the Higgs boson in hopes of uncovering new knowledge and potential applications in the future.

5. Does the discovery of the Higgs boson change any previous theories or models?

The discovery of the Higgs boson did not necessarily change any previous theories or models, but it did provide evidence to support them. It also confirmed the validity of the Standard Model and helped fill in gaps in our understanding of the universe. However, it is possible that future research and discoveries may lead to updates or revisions of existing theories and models.