Hidden Measurements Interpretation

In summary, the authors describe a "macroscopic quantum machine", which they claim can replicate the behavior of a quantum machine. They claim this machine can be extended to multiparticle states, but they do not provide evidence for this claim. They also make a big deal out of defining a "machine" that acts like a spin, but this is not a difficult task. The hard thing is simulating entangled spins, which is something that is not done in the paper.
michael879
I've been reading up on HMI, and the claims its proponents make are pretty impressive. I'm struggling to understand some details though, so I'm hoping someone here is more familiar with it.

In http://www.vub.ac.be/CLEA/aerts/publications/1998Berlin.pdf, the authors describe a "macroscopic quantum machine", which for a single particle state does an impressive job of replicating QM. I can't quite see how the machine can be extended to multiparticle states though.. They mention extending this to an EPR-type experiment but they don't go into any details on exactly how two independent measurement devices would be represented macroscopically.

It seems to me like there would necessarily be a serious non-locality to any version of this theory, since the random measurement processes need to be correlated with each other, even though they can have an arbitrarily large space-like separation. Introducing real non-locality requires some limiting mechanism so that locality will be restored in larger systems, and I can't find any attempt to address this in HMI

Physics news on Phys.org
Give me time and I'll dig up some emails I had with one of the people who worked with Aerts on experiments regarding his HM interpretation.

StevieTNZ said:
Give me time and I'll dig up some emails I had with one of the people who worked with Aerts on experiments regarding his HM interpretation.

Awesome, that would be great!

Reading the paper, this interpretation just sounds like a roundabout way of saying measurement results are probabilistic.

They make a big deal out of defining a "machine" that acts like a spin, but that's not a hard task. Computers can trivially simulate single spins, and I don't see how doing it with an elastic stretched across a sphere adds much to that conclusion. The hard thing isn't simulating spins, it's simulating entangled spins; making a machine that violates Bell inequalities under space-like separations. Of course they don't do that, they simply assume non-locality.

So I'm really not sure how this interpretation differs from Copenhagen. It just seems like a mechanization of collapse. Do they at least manage to discard the interactions with a hazily defined "classical world"?

Strilanc said:
The hard thing isn't simulating spins, it's simulating entangled spins; making a machine that violates Bell inequalities under space-like separations. Of course they don't do that, they simply assume non-locality.

This pretty much sums up my response to the paper, which is why I made this post. I would hope that we're simply missing something, based on the claims made by supporters of this interpretation. Maybe it is really just as trivial as it sounds, but if there is something more to it I'd like to know

Anyone?

michael879 said:
Anyone?
If anyone could shed some further light on this that would be great, Stevie?

Related to Hidden Measurements Interpretation

What is the Hidden Measurements Interpretation?

The Hidden Measurements Interpretation is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests that the fundamental properties of a quantum system are determined by hidden variables that are not directly measurable.

How does the Hidden Measurements Interpretation differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The Hidden Measurements Interpretation differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen Interpretation, in that it does not involve the collapse of the wave function upon measurement. Instead, it suggests that the wave function represents our knowledge of the system, rather than the true state of the system.

What evidence supports the Hidden Measurements Interpretation?

There is currently no direct evidence for the Hidden Measurements Interpretation, as it is not testable. However, it has been shown to be mathematically equivalent to other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen Interpretation, and is consistent with all known experimental results.

What are the implications of the Hidden Measurements Interpretation?

The Hidden Measurements Interpretation has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum systems. It suggests that there may be underlying deterministic processes at work in quantum systems, rather than the inherent randomness that is typically associated with quantum mechanics.

Is the Hidden Measurements Interpretation widely accepted by the scientific community?

The Hidden Measurements Interpretation is considered to be a minority interpretation within the scientific community, as it is not as widely discussed or accepted as other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen Interpretation. However, it is still a valid and respected interpretation of quantum mechanics that continues to be studied and debated by scientists.