Hi there, just registered and desperate to learn physics/mathematics

Spend some time reading about that topic (or the previous one). Then continue onwards again. This is a good way to learn about things. In summary, Josh has always had an interest in the natural world, physics, and specifically astronomy and its related fields. However, he lacked a strong understanding in these subjects and didn't know where to start. With the guidance of Carl Sagan, he has developed a strong desire for knowledge and is seeking help on where to begin and what resources to use. Suggestions include starting with a conceptual book, such as "The Theoretical Minimum," and utilizing online sources such as MIT OpenCourseWare. Josh is now officially a member of the PF community and is encouraged to explore various topics through the use of Wikipedia
The Void
Hey people! My names Josh and have always had an interest in the natural world, physics, and most especially, astronomy and all its related fields. Unfortunately, it stopped there and remained simply as an interest, mere dabblings in fields of knowledge that I really had no comprehension of above the most basic level (preferring to be an ignorant child playing on his xbox all day, neglecting his studies). However recently, over the past couple of years, and with the discovery of Mr Carl Sagan, I have developed an overwhelming hankering for knowledge and understanding on these subjects, but I don't have the foggiest idea of where to start? How to go about learning them? What books to read? Websites? Any help and/or guidance would be greatly, greatly appreciated, though I understand how tiresome these sort of threads must be so I'm really sorry :/

Thanks,
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
So, how much (or little) physics do you know? How much math do you know?

It may be best to start with a conceptual book, such as this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321568095/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You don't need the newest edition, you can find one on amazon that is a little older and more cheap. Just start there, and that should keep you busy for a while.

Hi, Josh!
You also need to tell us what your favourite fish is!
:smile:

Ah yes, fish yes. What's your favourite fish?

Hey, sorry for only just messaging back, been kinda busy.

Woopydalan said:
So, how much (or little) physics do you know? How much math do you know?

So little its laughable compared to probably everyone here :/, but I'm absolutely desperate to learn and willing to put the effort in, as I've already mentioned.

Enigman said:
Try this:
Theoratical minimum: What you need to know to start doing physics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/046502811X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Right, I've just bought this book and it does look comprehensible compared to everything else I've been reading. However, are there any other sources on the Internet I could go to for additional assistance? Also, when learning these sorts of subjects what is the best way to memorise (and, more importantly, understand) the information and all the various theory's and hypotheses? I know that might seem a frivolous question, but I'd just like to know input by people who are knowledgeable on it and have went through this learning process.

arildno said:
Hi, Josh!
You also need to tell us what your favourite fish is!
:smile:

My favourite fish? Errm, Great white shark? But if you're talking more ray-finned fishes then I'd probably say the lionfish.

The Void said:
Hey, sorry for only just messaging back, been kinda busy. ...

My favourite fish? Errm, Great white shark? But if you're talking more ray-finned fishes then I'd probably say the lionfish.
I'll do the honor.

http://files.myopera.com/Chyren/files/fishSlap1a.gif

You are now officially initiated as a PF member. Congratulations. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Void!

Please don't feel embarrassed about how little you know. Everyone here: 1) is hoping to be at your level some day, 2) is exactly at your level, or 3) has been at your level.

So, you're at home :smile:.

Astronomy is a vast field of knowledge, it will lead you to astrophysics [an even vaster field of knowledge], and then to cosmology [which looks very much like black magic]. I like NASA's Imagine the Universe site: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/ask_an_astronomer.html. as an introduction. It will keep you amused for quite awhile and assist in exploring topics you find interesting. Seriously, no one can master all of this information, its too vast.

Try this: start with a very general topic. Say, mathematics, or astronomy, or physics... then go to the Wikipedia page on that topic. Read until you see something in blue (a link) that looks interesting, and click. Read until you see something in blue that looks interesting, and click. And so forth. If you get to an article that is either uninteresting or over your head, then go back one step.

Related to Hi there, just registered and desperate to learn physics/mathematics

1) What are the best resources for learning physics and mathematics?

The best resources for learning physics and mathematics depend on your personal learning style. However, some popular options include textbooks, online courses, Khan Academy, and YouTube channels such as "MinutePhysics" and "3Blue1Brown". It is also helpful to seek out a mentor or join a study group to supplement your learning.

2) How can I improve my understanding of complex mathematical and scientific concepts?

Improving your understanding of complex concepts in physics and mathematics requires patience and practice. Start by breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and tackling them one at a time. Use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to help visualize the concept. Additionally, try to apply the concept to real-life scenarios to solidify your understanding. Practice regularly and seek help from teachers or peers when needed.

3) Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in math to understand physics?

While having a strong foundation in math can certainly make it easier to understand physics, it is not a requirement. Many physics concepts can be understood and applied without extensive math knowledge. However, as you progress in your studies, a solid understanding of math will become increasingly important.

4) How can I stay motivated and interested in learning physics and mathematics?

Staying motivated and interested in learning physics and mathematics can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. Set achievable goals for yourself and celebrate when you reach them. Find ways to apply what you are learning to real-life situations. Seek out a study group or a mentor to keep you accountable and motivated. Lastly, remember to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge.

5) Are there any specific study tips for learning physics and mathematics?

There are many study tips that can help you learn physics and mathematics more effectively. Some examples include practicing regularly, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, using flashcards or practice problems, explaining the concept to someone else, and seeking help from teachers or peers when needed. Additionally, finding a quiet and distraction-free study space and staying organized can also be beneficial.