Hi,may potential, time dependent force field be called

In summary, a time dependent force field cannot be considered conservative because the energy conservation of an isolated mechanical system does not hold in such a field. This is due to the explicit time dependence of the potential function in the Lagrangian, which leads to a non-conserved energy function.
apedcen
Hi,

may potential, time dependent force field be called conservative?

If so, the mechanical energy conservation of an isolated mechanical system does not hold in such field?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

time dependent means your force field is a function of 4 variables. In math, its equivalent to having a vector field in 4-space. Curl is defined only on R3, but there are some generalizations to the product involving exterior derivatives (which I have not studied).
But when you do a path integral, you have a curve in 4 space which doesn't make physical sense since you can only traverse time in 1 direction, so a closed path is impossible.

Curl,
I don't think that we need to incorporate time in definition of conservative force (its just not there). The force may be conservative in a fixed time moment. I don't have problem in calling time dependent force conservative, however the energy conservation will not work on for such force imho.

Ok now I think I see what you're saying. Are you considering a vector field which changes with time, but at any instant in time the force field is conservative, i.e. curl F = 0 at a fixed t?

Curl said:
Ok now I think I see what you're saying. Are you considering a vector field which changes with time, but at any instant in time the force field is conservative, i.e. curl F = 0 at a fixed t?

I think that's what the OP means.

If that is indeed the case:

A time dependent potential function will not give rise to a conservative force. If we consider the Lagrangian of a system:

[tex]L=T-V(t)[/tex]

Since, V has an explicit time dependence, L has an explicit time dependence. We can also derive the time dependence of the energy function from Lagrangian mechanics:

[tex]\frac{dH}{dt}=-\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}[/tex]

Thus, if L has an explicit time dependence, the energy function will vary in time, and is thus not conserved.

Related to Hi,may potential, time dependent force field be called

What is a potential, time dependent force field?

A potential, time dependent force field is a type of field that describes the forces acting on a particle or object as a function of time. It takes into account both the position and time dependence of the forces.

How is a potential, time dependent force field different from a traditional force field?

A traditional force field only considers the position of the particle or object, while a potential, time dependent force field takes into account the changes in force over time.

What is the purpose of using a potential, time dependent force field?

A potential, time dependent force field is useful in studying dynamic systems and processes that change over time. It allows for a more accurate representation of the forces at play.

Can a potential, time dependent force field be applied to any system?

Yes, a potential, time dependent force field can be applied to any system as long as the forces acting on the particles or objects can be described as a function of time.

How is a potential, time dependent force field calculated?

The calculation of a potential, time dependent force field involves determining the forces acting on each particle or object at different time intervals and then using mathematical equations to model the changes in force over time.