Hi, I am currently doing a project to design a lamp and am really

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of physics in designing a lamp with a perfectly balanced design. The diagram shows a counterweight system where the weight of the arms is assumed to be negligible compared to the weights. The conversation clarifies that the ratio between the weights must remain the same for balance to be achieved. The pivot points must also remain in the same position, but the lamp head can be moved in different directions. The measurements on the diagram refer to the center of mass of the weights, and it is important to use materials that are appropriate in weight for the arms. Small adjustments may need to be made for the system to operate as intended. A heavy base may help with stability. The materials and mass of the rods do not seem
Jamesbenham
Hi, I am currently doing a project to design a lamp and am really interested in using physics to gain a perfectly balanced design. I have come across this diagram...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Lamp_2_counter_weight.PNG

I just want to clarify a couple of things before I go ahead and produce it! Apologies if these are stupid questions but it is a while since I did any physics.

1. I can turn these into any numbers as long as the ratio says the same right? E.g. Half the weights.

2. The the pivot points need to remain exactly there in order to balance or does another option exist? By this I mean the lamp head is moveable in almost any direction, but with the layout of the arms in a different way?

3. The measurements on the diagram (10,20 etc.) seem to show the measurement to the centre point of the weights... Is this what I need to measure to (the centre of mass of the weight?) or can the weights differ in dimension as long as the mass remains the same?

4. Imagine a curtain pole (the arm) with a screw (the weight) half screwed into the end... Where would I measure 10,20 lengths to? The end of the pole or up to the start of the screw?

Thank you so much for this.

James.

Engineering news on Phys.org

The design assumes the weight of the arms is negligible compared to the weights.

The 200 and 100 lamp works like this : 200 x 10 = 20 x 100 , for it to balance at the pivot. You may want to have a way to move the 200 weight on the arm a bit in or out to get a horizontal balance.

Same thing for the 600 weight, so that when the top arm is pointing into/outof the page the second arm will balance horizontally. ie 300 x 20 = 600 x 10

So
question 1 - as long as the weight of the arm is much lighter than the weights, so choose appropriate material for the arms.

question 2 - not really sure what you are asking

question 3 - center of mass of the weight to the pivot

Question 4 - a heavy screw, much heavier than the curtain pole, measure to the centre of mass of the screw.

You will have to make some small adjustments, as I said previously, to the lengths or weights for the thing to operate as in the picture.

Thank you so much that is brilliant. Thank you also to to the other replier who doesn't appear to be showing up. I really appreciate it.

Hopefully it works out and the thing is stable, as the centre of gravity is not being below the pivot points .

256- will a heavy base just sort this issue?

If the lengths of rod were made from different materials and therefore had a different mass would this be an issue or is it just the distance between the weights that matters?

just need to source a place to buy joints with as little friction as possible!

Related to Hi, I am currently doing a project to design a lamp and am really

1. What materials should I use to make the lamp?

The materials you choose will depend on the design and function of your lamp. Some common materials for lamp making include wood, metal, glass, and plastic. Consider the durability, aesthetics, and safety of the materials when making your decision.

2. How can I make my lamp energy-efficient?

There are a few ways to make your lamp more energy-efficient. One option is to use LED bulbs, which use less energy and last longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. You can also use a dimmer switch to adjust the brightness and conserve energy.

3. What type of light bulb should I use for my lamp?

The type of light bulb you choose will depend on the purpose of your lamp. For general lighting, LED or CFL bulbs are energy-efficient options. For task lighting, halogen or incandescent bulbs may provide better light quality. Consider the color temperature and wattage of the bulbs as well.

4. Can I add any special features to my lamp?

Yes, you can incorporate special features into your lamp design. Some examples include a touch sensor for turning the lamp on and off, a USB charging port, or a built-in nightlight. Just make sure these features are functional and safe to use.

5. How can I ensure my lamp is safe to use?

To ensure the safety of your lamp, make sure to follow all electrical and fire safety guidelines. Use appropriate wiring and insulate any exposed wires. If you are unsure about the safety of your design, consult with a professional electrician.