Hey, I on log and continuous growth.

In summary, the conversation is about expressing the population, P, of Victoria as a function of time, t, in the form P = P0 a^t. It is mentioned that the population is growing at an annual rate of 1.1% and that P0 represents the population on January 1, 2001. The only thing missing is the specific value of P0, so it is left as a variable. The equation P = P0at is used to solve for the constant a, with the solution being 1.011.
firstwave
Hey, here is a question I couldn't figure out. I think it's actually really easy, but the wording confuses me.

A recent survey showed that the population, P, of Victoria is growing at an annual rate of 1.1%. Let P0 represent the population on January 1, 2001 and let t represent the time, in years, since this date.

Question:
Express P as a function of t in the form P = P0 a^t

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want P= P0at. Since P and t are variables, the only problem is finding the constants P0 and a. You are told to "Let P0 represent the population on January 1, 2001" and aren't told what that is. If you are not given that as a specific number, and can't look it up the only thing you can do is leave like that: P0.
You are told that "the population, P, of Victoria is growing at an annual rate of 1.1%". Okay, if the the population in 2001 was P0 then the population in 2002 (one year later so t=1) had increased by 1.1%:P(1) was P0+ 1.1% of P0= P0+ 0.011P0= 1.011P0.
Now put that into your equation, P= P0at:
1.011P0= P0a1 and solve for a.
(It's not very hard!)

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and asking about this question. I am happy to help clarify the concept of log and continuous growth.

Log growth refers to a type of growth that follows a logarithmic function, where the growth rate decreases over time. On the other hand, continuous growth refers to a type of growth that follows an exponential function, where the growth rate remains constant over time.

Regarding the question you have mentioned, the wording may seem confusing at first, but it is actually a simple concept. The key is to understand the variables and their meanings.

In this case, P represents the population, P0 represents the initial population on January 1, 2001, and t represents the time since this date in years. The annual growth rate of 1.1% means that the population is increasing by 1.1% every year.

To express P as a function of t in the form P = P0 a^t, we can use the formula for continuous growth, which is P = P0e^(rt), where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828, and r is the growth rate in decimal form.

In this case, r = 0.011 (1.1% expressed in decimal form), and we can plug it into the formula to get P = P0e^(0.011t).

I hope this helps clarify the concept of log and continuous growth and how to express P as a function of t in the given form. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Hey, I on log and continuous growth.

1. What is the difference between logarithmic and continuous growth?

Logarithmic growth refers to a pattern where the growth rate decreases over time, eventually reaching a plateau. Continuous growth, on the other hand, refers to a pattern where the growth rate remains constant over time. In other words, logarithmic growth is a slowing down of growth, while continuous growth is a steady increase.

2. How do you calculate logarithmic and continuous growth?

To calculate logarithmic growth, you can use the formula y = a + b log(x), where a and b are constants and x is the input variable. For continuous growth, you can use the formula y = a(1+r)^x, where a is the initial value, r is the growth rate, and x is the number of time periods.

3. What are some real-life examples of logarithmic and continuous growth?

An example of logarithmic growth is the spread of a virus, where the number of new cases decreases as more people become immune. An example of continuous growth is the growth of a bacteria culture in a Petri dish, where the number of bacteria doubles at a consistent rate over time.

4. How do you determine if a data set exhibits logarithmic or continuous growth?

To determine if a data set exhibits logarithmic or continuous growth, you can plot the data on a graph and look for a pattern. If the data points form a curve that flattens out over time, it is likely logarithmic growth. If the data points form a straight line, it is likely continuous growth.

5. What are the limitations of using logarithmic and continuous growth models?

One limitation is that these models assume a constant growth rate, which may not be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, they do not take into account external factors that may affect growth. It is important to use these models with caution and consider other factors when analyzing data.