Hey guys help with Venturi Meter question

In summary, the maximum flow rate for the venturi meter in a horizontal 150 mm diameter pipeline is 0.079 m3/s. This is calculated using the formula Q = Cd x At x Sqrt 2 x (P1 - Pt) / sqrt (1 - (At/A1)^2) + G where Cd is the coefficient of discharge, At is the area of the throat, A1 is the area of the pipe, P1 is the entrance pressure (converted to absolute), Pt is the throat pressure, and G is the acceleration due to gravity. It is important to note the difference between gauge and absolute pressure in this calculation, as it can significantly affect the result.
vip_uae
A venturi meter with a 75 mm diameter throat is installed in a horizontal 150 mm diameter pipeline. The pressure at entry to the meter is 70 kN/m2 gauge and the pressure at the meter throat must not fall below 25 kN/m2 absolute. Calculate the maximum flow for which the meter may be used, given that the density of the flowing fluid is 900 kg/m3 and the coefficient of discharge for the meter is 0.96.

Answer = [0.079 m3/s]

ive been trying this question for the past hour and seriously my head is abt to explode coz i am getting a tottaly different answer i even tried all the formulas on the net i am still gettin my answer

Flow rate (Q) = 0.0456275

and i got this answer

soo pleasez guys help me out thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show your attempt, it would be better if you debug it step by step

Thanks for the reply i used this formula

Q= Cd x At
-------- x Sqrt 2 x ( P1 - Pt)
sqrt ( 1 - (At/A1)^2 ) ------- + G
row

Cd drag coff

At Area throat

A1 Area pipe

P1 first pressure

Pt Preasure at throat

G as in gravity

i replaced all the values in and that's it

Your entry pressure is in gauge and throat pressure is absolute. Have you considered that?

Oh no i haven't noticed that at all... can u explain the difference please

any one please explain for me :)

The difference between gauge and absolute pressure is the value of atmospheric pressure. The gauge value uses atmospheric pressure as the 0 or base for the pressure whereas the absolute value uses 0 pressure as the reference. So there is a 14.7 psi or 101 kPa difference between the two values.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_between_gauge_and_absolute_pressure

Well I've been trying to do what you told me exactly but i still get a lower value please show me the steps for it ...

vip_uae said:
Well I've been trying to do what you told me exactly but i still get a lower value please show me the steps for it ...

Since the venturi meter is horizontal and assuming the friction is ignored, the flow rate through the meter (and thus inlet) would be:

[tex] Q = A_2 \cdot v_2 \cdot C_d [/tex]

And the energy balance reduces to:

[tex] \frac{P_1}{\rho} + \frac{v_1^2}{2g} = \frac{P_2}{\rho} + \frac{v_2^2}{2g}[/tex]

Using the Continuity equation to find v_1 in terms of v_2:

[tex]A_1v_1 = A_2v_2 [/tex]

[tex]v_1 = \frac{A_2}{A_1} \cdot v_2 [/tex]

Using the continuity equation along with an energy balance gives a velocity in the throat of:

[tex] v_2 = \sqrt{\frac{\frac{2g(P_1 - P_2)}{\rho}}{1 - (\frac{A_2}{A_1})^2}} [/tex]

Since P_1 is a gauge pressure, add 101.325 to get 171.325 kPa absolute at the entrance (since 1 kN/m^2 = 1 kPa).

You should be able to plug in the given values now to get the flow rate.

Hope this helps.

CS

PS
You might want to check the math as I ran through that really quick on my scratch pad!

Thats Gr8 ... i have found the problem... when i am calculating i forgot to multiply the pressure by 10^3 that's why its giving me a lower value :)

thanks

Related to Hey guys help with Venturi Meter question

1. How does a Venturi meter work?

A Venturi meter works by utilizing the Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. The Venturi meter has a narrowed section in the middle, which causes the fluid to speed up and therefore decrease in pressure. This pressure difference can then be measured to determine the flow rate of the fluid.

2. What are the applications of a Venturi meter?

A Venturi meter is commonly used in pipes to measure the flow rate of liquids, such as water or oil. It is also used in air conditioning systems to measure the flow rate of air. Additionally, Venturi meters are used in carburetors of vehicles to measure the flow rate of fuel.

3. How accurate is a Venturi meter?

The accuracy of a Venturi meter depends on various factors such as the design, size, and flow rate of the fluid. Generally, a Venturi meter has an accuracy of around 98% when used correctly. However, this accuracy can be affected by factors such as turbulence, blockage, and improper installation.

4. What are the advantages of using a Venturi meter?

One of the main advantages of using a Venturi meter is its high accuracy and reliability compared to other flow measurement methods. It is also a cost-effective option as it does not require external power or moving parts. Additionally, Venturi meters can handle a wide range of flow rates and are not affected by changes in fluid density.

5. How do I calculate the flow rate using a Venturi meter?

To calculate the flow rate using a Venturi meter, you will need to measure the pressure difference between the inlet and the throat of the meter. This pressure difference can then be used in the Venturi meter equation, which takes into account the meter's design and the properties of the fluid. Alternatively, most Venturi meters come with a flow rate calibration chart that can be used to determine the flow rate based on the pressure difference.