Help with X-Ray Machine Cost Calculation

In summary, the company will need to buy x-ray machines to process 45 employees per hour. The machines cost $50,000 and the wages and fringe benefits of the employees amount to $30,000 per year. The waiting time between arrivals is 0.05 hour.
nikosnikos
I have to solve this exercise and i stuck any help?
we have 20 scietists arrive per hour and the x-ray station can process 45 employees per hour. the company spends a total of $65 per hour per employee. X-ray machines cost $50.000 and the wages and fringe benefits of operators amount to $30.000 per year. how many machines will we buy? my question is not how to solve the problem (i have a programm to do that) , but i have a hard time to understand which is the waiting cost and which tha service cost and we also have a fixd cost to... help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
nikosnikos said:
I have to solve this exercise and i stuck any help?
we have 20 scietists arrive per hour and the x-ray station can process 45 employees per hour. the company spends a total of $65 per hour per employee. X-ray machines cost $50.000 and the wages and fringe benefits of operators amount to $30.000 per year. how many machines will we buy? my question is not how to solve the problem (i have a programm to do that) , but i have a hard time to understand which is the waiting cost and which tha service cost and we also have a fixd cost to... help please!

Your rate constant is 20 is events per hour for scientists, so your mean waiting time between arrivals is 0.05 hour (it's always better to keep everything in terms of the same time unit). Can you take it from there?

Last edited:
I'm looking for the waiting cost and the service cost.. It's already given in the topic the numbers but I'm not sure which is which because there is also a fixed cost included .. I'm looking for the data of the problem not the solution.. i hope i was clear!

nikosnikos said:
I'm looking for the waiting cost and the service cost.. It's already given in the topic the numbers but I'm not sure which is which because there is also a fixed cost included .. I'm looking for the data of the problem not the solution.. i hope i was clear!

We generally don't answer these types of questions. This is a math/science forum, not an accounting/business forum. Since you already claim to know the math, you can see you have excess capacity which is costing money. Perhaps someone else will help calculate the costs for you. And please, no more of the "!"

Last edited:

I am happy to assist you with your X-ray machine cost calculation. It seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have a program to solve it, but are struggling with identifying the different costs involved. Let me break it down for you.

Firstly, the waiting cost in this scenario would be the cost of employees waiting to be processed by the X-ray station. This would include the wages and fringe benefits of the employees during the time they are waiting, as well as any potential loss in productivity due to the wait.

The service cost, on the other hand, would be the cost of actually using the X-ray station to process the employees. This would include the $65 per hour per employee that the company spends, as well as the cost of operating the X-ray machine itself.

Lastly, the fixed cost would be the cost of purchasing the X-ray machine and the wages and fringe benefits of the operators. In this case, the cost of purchasing the machine is $50,000 and the annual cost for the operators is $30,000.

To determine how many machines to buy, you will need to consider the total number of employees per hour (20), the processing capacity of the X-ray station (45 employees per hour), and the cost of operating the machine and paying the operators ($65 per hour per employee and $30,000 per year respectively). From there, you can calculate the optimal number of machines to purchase based on the cost and capacity.

I hope this helps clarify the different costs involved in your problem and how to approach solving it. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your calculation!

Related to Help with X-Ray Machine Cost Calculation

1. What factors contribute to the cost of an X-ray machine?

The cost of an X-ray machine can vary depending on several factors, including the type and brand of the machine, its size and features, and the warranty and service options included. Additionally, installation and training fees may also be a factor in the overall cost.

2. How can I determine the cost of an X-ray machine for my specific needs?

The best way to determine the cost of an X-ray machine for your specific needs is to consult with a reputable supplier or manufacturer. They can help assess your requirements and provide an accurate cost estimate based on the type and features of the machine that would best suit your needs.

3. Are there any ongoing costs associated with owning an X-ray machine?

Yes, there are ongoing costs associated with owning an X-ray machine. These may include maintenance and repair costs, as well as the cost of necessary supplies, such as film and chemicals. It is important to factor in these costs when calculating the overall cost of owning an X-ray machine.

4. Can I negotiate the cost of an X-ray machine?

Yes, it is possible to negotiate the cost of an X-ray machine. It is always a good idea to compare prices from different suppliers and manufacturers, and to negotiate with them to get the best deal. Additionally, some suppliers may offer discounts or financing options that can help reduce the overall cost.

5. Are there any hidden costs I should be aware of when calculating the cost of an X-ray machine?

Some hidden costs to consider when calculating the cost of an X-ray machine may include the cost of permits, shipping and handling fees, and potential installation fees. It is important to discuss these potential costs with the supplier or manufacturer upfront to ensure accuracy in the cost calculation.