Help with UV Light: Calculate Radiation Energy

In summary: He also mentions that the amount of uv received is dependent on local weather and suggests measuring it instead of calculating it. He also mentions looking for a maximum and assuming no cloud cover or intervening weather conditions. If no online references are found, he recommends rootones' comment for accurate figures and suggests measuring rather than calculating the energy of uv. In summary, Dave is seeking insight on calculating the energy of uva and uvb radiation at different elevation and latitude levels, but suggests measuring it instead of calculating it due to varying factors.
Caseykcraig
Hi everybody! I was hoping I could get some insight on how to calculate the energy of uva and uvb radiation at elevation levels of 0m in equatorial regions and at a lattitude of 35° N at 4500m in watts per square meter. Specifically, light in the range of 300-420nm. Any help would be appreciated. Specifically I'm looking at 300-420nm

Science news on Phys.org
The amount of uv actually received will be highly dependent on local weather and other factors such as which season of the year.
It seems to me that this exercise would be better undertaken by actually measuring uv at these locations rather than trying to calculate it.

rootone said:
The amount of uv actually received will be highly dependent on local weather and other factors such as which season of the year.
It seems to me that this exercise would be better undertaken by actually measuring uv at these locations rather than trying to calculate it.
I'm looking for a maximum, so I want to assume no cloud cover or intervening weather conditions.

Caseykcraig said:
I'm looking for a maximum, so I want to assume no cloud cover or intervening weather conditions.

if you cannot find any online references by NOAA or other atmospheric research institute

then rootones' comment is your obvious choice for any meaningful figures

rootone said:
Dave

Related to Help with UV Light: Calculate Radiation Energy

1. How do you calculate radiation energy from UV light?

To calculate the radiation energy from UV light, you can use the formula E=hc/λ, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the UV light.

2. What is the relationship between UV light and radiation energy?

UV light is a type of electromagnetic radiation, and its energy is directly proportional to its frequency or inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that the higher the frequency or shorter the wavelength of UV light, the higher its energy.

3. How does the intensity of UV light affect the radiation energy?

The intensity of UV light does not directly affect the radiation energy. However, it can indirectly impact the energy by increasing the number of photons or particles of light, which can then increase the overall energy absorbed.

4. What units are used to measure radiation energy from UV light?

The most common unit used to measure radiation energy from UV light is joules (J). However, in some cases, other units such as electron volts (eV) or calories (cal) may be used.

5. Can UV light be harmful due to its high radiation energy?

Yes, exposure to high levels of UV light can be harmful to living organisms, including humans. This is because the high energy of UV light can damage DNA and cause mutations, leading to health problems such as skin cancer.