Help with understanding a solution in statistics

• Thread starter xdrgnh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the discussion revolves around a problem where fifty numbers are rounded off to the nearest integer and then summed. The question asks about the probability of the rounded-off sum exceeding the exact sum by more than 3. The source of confusion is the use of a uniform distribution and the calculation of the variance.
xdrgnh
http://kaharris.org/teaching/425/Lectures/lec37.pdf

"Fifty numbers are rounded-off to the nearest integer and the summed.
Suppose that the individual round-off errors are uniformly distributed
over (0:5; 0:5). What is the probability that the round-off error
exceeds the exact sum by more than 3?"I don't understand how they calculate the variance where they get the 1/12

This isn't homework nor am I taking a class in statistics. I will however be taking an exam in statistics so I can credit for a class in statistics in May. Any help will be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The problem wording is rather bad and confusing. If I try to render what it should be, I get something like
Fifty numbers are rounded-off to the nearest integer and then summed.
over the interval [-0.5, 0.5]. What is the probability that the rounded-off sum exceeds the exact sum by more than 3?
Your question where the ##\tfrac {1} {12}## comes from, can be answered with a simple: from the definition of the variance: calculate E[x2] for a uniform distribution.
In your lecture suite: lecture 20.

xdrgnh said:
over (0:5; 0:5).
The interval should read "[-0.5, 0.5]".

Related to Help with understanding a solution in statistics

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using various methods and techniques to make sense of numerical data and draw conclusions or make predictions based on the data.

2. What is a solution in statistics?

In statistics, a solution refers to the answer or outcome of a statistical problem or question. It is the result of applying statistical methods and techniques to data in order to better understand a particular phenomenon or make predictions.

3. How can statistics help me understand data?

Statistics can help you understand data by providing a framework for organizing and analyzing the data. It allows you to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data, which can then be used to draw conclusions and make predictions.

4. What are some common statistical methods and techniques?

Some common statistical methods and techniques include descriptive statistics (such as mean, median, and standard deviation), inferential statistics (such as hypothesis testing and regression analysis), and data visualization (such as graphs and charts).

5. How can I improve my understanding of statistics?

You can improve your understanding of statistics by practicing and applying statistical methods and techniques to real-world problems. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to continuously learn and stay updated on new developments in the field of statistics.