Help with torque and power required please

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and considerations for building a skateboard-like device powered by an electric skateboard system. This includes determining the gear sizes, motor sizes and specs, calculating torque and power needed, and accounting for factors such as friction, gradient, and weight distribution. The maximum motor output suggested is 378 watts or 1/2 horsepower.
Kevj999
I am looking to build a skateborad like device that i want to power with electric skateboard-like system. However I only want it to go 1.1m/s using 60mm wheels moving a 100kg load for 12 km. I am looking for help determining gear sizes, motor sizes and specs, really anything. I have seen so much assistance through this forum. Thanks so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The torque needed will depend on how steep the hills are. It will take more torque when climbing hills than to overcome friction when traveling on the flat. You need to find the torque needed to overcome friction, while climbing the steepest hill.
What grade is the steepest hill ?
Motor or wheel angular velocity is measured in radians per second which is 2 * Pi * RPM / 60.
From that the power needed will be the torque multiplied by the angular velocity.
watts = Newton*metres * radians/second

I think i would want to calculate for a max 30% grade.

The maximum force you can apply to your skateboard is determined by the wheel-road friction force ##\mu N##.

I don't think your friction coefficient ##\mu## will be higher than 0.7. If you are powering 2 of 4 wheels, then the normal force ##N## is about half the supported weight, i.e. ##50\ kg \times 9.81\ m/s^2 = 490.5\ N##.

So the maximum force your skateboard can produce is ##0.7 \times 490.5\ N = 343.35\ N##. At the velocity you want, you then need ##1.1\ m/s \times 343.35\ N = 378\ W## of power or about ½ hp. That is what your maximum motor output should be (or less).

At 1.1 m/s, your wheel will revolve at ##\frac{1.1\ m/s}{0.030\ m}\times\frac{30}{\pi}\frac{rpm}{\frac{rad}{s}} = 350\ rpm##. So, for the gearing, whatever rpm your motor is, the gear ratio ##GR## will be ##GR = \frac{rpm_{motor}}{350}##.

Likes Kevj999
Note: It doesn't appear that "@ jack action" has accounted for the 30% grade in the above solution.

Likes Kevj999
JBA said:
Note: It doesn't appear that "@ jack action" has accounted for the 30% grade in the above solution.
It doesn't matter. It represents the maximum friction force that the skateboard can produce. Whether it can or cannot climb a 30% grade with that force is another characteristic that can be evaluated separately. If it cannot, then there is nothing you can do about it (except increase friction or weight distribution).

Likes Kevj999
If you climb a 30% grade at 1.1 m/sec you are rising at 0.33 m/sec.
Your total? mass is specified as 100 kg. The change in potential energy per second will be m·g·h.
100 * 9.8 * 0.33 = 323.4 joules per second = 325 watts, or about half a HP.
That ignores frictional losses in the system.

Related to Help with torque and power required please

1. What is torque and power?

Torque and power are two important concepts in physics and engineering. Torque is a measure of a force's ability to rotate an object around an axis, while power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

2. How are torque and power related?

Torque and power are closely related. The power of an engine or motor is directly proportional to the torque produced and the rotational speed. In other words, the more torque an engine has, the more power it can produce.

3. How do I calculate torque and power?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is calculated as force multiplied by distance. Power can be calculated by multiplying torque by rotational speed.

4. What units are used to measure torque and power?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lbs), while power is measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

5. How can I determine the torque and power required for a specific task?

The torque and power required for a specific task depend on various factors such as the weight of the object, the distance it needs to be moved, and the time frame. To determine the torque and power required, you can use the equations for torque and power and input the relevant values.