Help with the physics of a Catapult

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a catapult for a robotics competition and how to achieve a desired horizontal distance. The physics behind projectile motion and the importance of the launch angle and velocity are mentioned. It is advised to aim for a 45 degree launch angle and to consider the possibility of the projectile slipping out early due to centrifugal force. The equation for projectile motion is also mentioned and it is recommended to ensure that the projectile does not slide on the catapult when calculating the net velocity.
ApPhysicsStudent
So currently i am working on a robot, and i have gone to my physics teacher on how to help me achieve what i want out of it but she was not detailed with her explanation. It is only her second year teaching physics so i don't blame her but this seemed like a good place to put it.

So this is for a competition called VEX robotics, i figured that could matter to any who wants to understand why i am asking but since it is a physics question i cam here. So currently my machine throws about 4 feet high but only 2 feet across. I just want to know is the physics behind designing a catapult so that i can figure out what can be accomplished to get more horizontal distance and a little less vertical distance. My Physics teacher said to look at the angle on the piece where the object sits, is this true and what should i look at? Please include any formulas because i do not understand where the angle comes into play. here is a picture when the machine is in the thrown position for reference, when it is down the outstretched c channel is parallel to the ground.
jhrl39.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Read up on projectile motion. The launch angle and velocity alter the range. Max range is typically achieved at a 45 degree launch angle if the launch point and target area are at the same height.

CWatters said:
Read up on projectile motion. The launch angle and velocity alter the range. Max range is typically achieved at a 45 degree launch angle if the launch point and target area are at the same height.
Ok thank you! But which angle should i be working to achieve 45? should it be the one that the object will be thrown on or the stop angle of the arm?

Change whatsoever you need so that the actual projectile launches at 45 degrees. You may need to change both of the angles you mention but I would start with the angle at which the arm stops.

Check that centrifugal force can't cause the projectile to slip out early as that will send it up at a steeper angle. Eg use a cup or similar on the arm to hold the projectile.

The equations: Projectile motion

The initial angle is the one when the projectile will leave the cup of your catapult, so usually when the arm will stop. As @CWatters said, this is assuming the projectile doesn't slide on the catapult as it moves up. In that case, you have to add the sliding velocity (as a vector) to the arm velocity to find the net velocity of the projectile and its true angle.

Related to Help with the physics of a Catapult

What is the physics behind a catapult?

The physics behind a catapult involves potential energy, kinetic energy, and projectile motion. When the catapult arm is pulled back, potential energy is stored in the arm. When the arm is released, this potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, which propels the projectile forward. The projectile follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity, resulting in projectile motion.

What factors affect the distance and accuracy of a catapult?

The distance and accuracy of a catapult are affected by several factors, including the angle of the catapult arm, the tension of the catapult strings, the weight of the projectile, and the release mechanism. The angle of the catapult arm determines the trajectory of the projectile, while the tension of the strings affects the amount of potential energy stored. The weight of the projectile and the release mechanism can also impact the distance and accuracy of the catapult.

How does a catapult use potential and kinetic energy?

A catapult uses potential energy when the arm is pulled back and the strings are stretched. This potential energy is then converted to kinetic energy when the arm is released, causing the projectile to be launched forward. The amount of potential energy stored in the arm determines the amount of kinetic energy and, therefore, the distance the projectile will travel.

What type of force does a catapult use?

A catapult uses the force of tension to propel the projectile forward. When the arm is pulled back, the strings are stretched, creating tension. When the arm is released, this tension is released, causing the projectile to be launched forward.

How can the design of a catapult be optimized for maximum distance and accuracy?

The design of a catapult can be optimized for maximum distance and accuracy by considering factors such as the angle of the arm, the tension of the strings, and the weight of the projectile. Additionally, the release mechanism and overall construction of the catapult can also impact its performance. Experimentation and adjustments to these factors can help optimize the design and improve the catapult's performance.