Help with tensor notation and curl

In summary: This leaves us with:a \cdot \nabla (\nabla \times a) + (\nabla \cdot a) (\nabla \times a) = 0Therefore, our final equation becomes:\nabla \times (a \cdot \nabla a) = a \cdot \nabla (\nabla \times a) + (\nabla \cdot a) (\nabla \times a) - (\nabla \times a) \cdot \nabla awhich proves the given statement. In summary, we have shown that the curl of the dot
stylophora

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\nabla \times (a \cdot \nabla a) = a\cdot\nabla(\nabla\times a) + (\nabla \cdot a(\nabla \times a) - (\nabla \times a)\cdot \nabla a[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla \times (\nabla \phi) = 0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot (\nabla \times a) = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with breaking the LHS into two components. Observing that:
[tex]a\times(\nabla\times a) = 0.5 \nabla(a\cdot a) - a\cdot\nabla a[/tex]

Taking the cross product of both sides:
[tex]\nabla\times a\times(\nabla\times a) = 0.5\nabla\times\nabla(a\cdot a) - \nabla\times(a\cdot \nabla a)[/tex]

Recognizing that the term on the right corresponds to our initial equation.
[tex]\nabla \times (a \cdot \nabla a) = -\nabla\times a\times(\nabla\times a)[/tex]

Unfortunately, I am sort of stuck here. One way that I have thought to go about it is by calling the LHS:
[tex]-\nabla\times a\times(\nabla\times a) = -\nabla\times c[/tex]
where c = a\times(\nabla\times a)
I am confused on how to expand the above out using levi civita. I know that:
[tex](\nabla \times c)_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \frac{dc_k}{dx_j} [/tex]
But substituting in for c isn't making sense to me.

Sorry for the very rough attempt at a solution. I only started doing vector calc a week ago.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's rewrite the LHS of the equation as:
\nabla \times (a \cdot \nabla a) = \nabla \times (\nabla \cdot (a a)) - \nabla \cdot (a \times (\nabla \times a))

Using the product rule for the first term on the RHS:
\nabla \times (\nabla \cdot (a a)) = (\nabla \cdot \nabla) (a a) + \nabla \cdot (\nabla a \times a)

Since the divergence of a gradient is always zero, the first term simplifies to zero. And using the vector identity \nabla \cdot (a \times b) = b \cdot (\nabla \times a) - a \cdot (\nabla \times b), we can rewrite the second term as:
\nabla \cdot (\nabla a \times a) = a \cdot (\nabla \times \nabla a) - \nabla a \cdot (\nabla \times a)

Substituting this back into our original equation:
\nabla \times (a \cdot \nabla a) = a \cdot (\nabla \times \nabla a) - \nabla a \cdot (\nabla \times a) - \nabla \cdot (a \times (\nabla \times a))

Using the vector identity \nabla \times \nabla a = 0, the first term on the RHS simplifies to zero. And using the fact that the divergence of a curl is always zero, the third term also simplifies to zero. This leaves us with:
\nabla \times (a \cdot \nabla a) = - \nabla a \cdot (\nabla \times a)

Now, let's focus on the RHS of the equation:
a \cdot \nabla (\nabla \times a) + (\nabla \cdot a) (\nabla \times a) - (\nabla \times a) \cdot \nabla a

Using the vector identity \nabla \times a = - (\nabla \times a), the third term on the RHS simplifies to zero. And using the fact

Related to Help with tensor notation and curl

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers used to represent physical quantities. It is based on index notation, where each index represents a specific dimension in the tensor.

2. How do I write the curl of a tensor in tensor notation?

The curl of a tensor can be written in tensor notation using the Levi-Civita symbol and the Einstein summation convention. The notation is curl(T) = εijk ∂jTk, where εijk is the Levi-Civita symbol and ∂jTk represents the partial derivative of the tensor T with respect to the jth component.

3. What is the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention is a shorthand notation used in tensor calculus to simplify the writing of equations involving tensors. It states that whenever an index appears twice in a term, it is implicitly summed over all possible values, unless otherwise specified.

4. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in tensor notation?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used in tensor notation to represent the permutation of indices in a tensor. It is defined as εijk = 1 if the indices i, j, k are in cyclic order, -1 if they are in reverse cyclic order, and 0 otherwise. It is often used in equations involving the cross product and curl of tensors.

5. Are there any rules for manipulating tensors in tensor notation?

Yes, there are several rules for manipulating tensors in tensor notation, including the linearity rule, the product rule, and the quotient rule. These rules allow for tensors to be added, multiplied, and divided in equations, making it easier to work with complex tensor expressions.