Help with periods and oscilation *and* wavelengths

In summary: I'm sorry, I'm just a computer program and I don't have the capability to guide you through the problem-solving process. I can only provide you with a summary of the conversation. Please refer to the original conversation for more information.
Sonny18n

Homework Statement

Water waves in a shallow dish are 6.0 cm long. At one point the water oscillates up and down at a rate of 4.8 oscillations per second.
a. What is the speed of the water waves?
b. What is the period of the water waves?

Homework Equations

frequency = 1/period
Speed = wavelength x frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

Guessing 6.0 cm is thr wavelength but that wouldn't help much since I'm looking for the period and I don't even know what oscillations are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sonny18n said:

Homework Statement

Water waves in a shallow dish are 6.0 cm long. At one point the water oscillates up and down at a rate of 4.8 oscillations per second.
a. What is the speed of the water waves?
b. What is the period of the water waves?

Homework Equations

frequency = 1/period
Speed = wavelength x frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

Guessing 6.0 cm is thr wavelength but that wouldn't help much since I'm looking for the period and I don't even know what oscillations are.

You show a relevant equation for calculating the speed from the wavelength and frequency. You are given both in the problem statement.

Be sure to be careful with your units. You should convert everything into MKS units for this problem.

berkeman said:
You show a relevant equation for calculating the speed from the wavelength and frequency. You are given both in the problem statement.

Be sure to be careful with your units. You should convert everything into MKS units for this problem.
Do I convert the 6.0 cm to meters because its wavelength? I don't understand what 4.8 oscillations a second translates into frequency or speed

Sonny18n said:
Do I convert the 6.0 cm to meters because its wavelength? I don't understand what 4.8 oscillations a second translates into frequency or speed

Yes, convert 6cm into meters, so you can calculate the speed.

When they say 4.8 oscillations per second, that is the same as saying that the frequency is 4.8Hz. Hz is "Hertz", and is equal to one oscillation per second. You write the units of Hz as 1/s. Try to always carry along the units for each quantity in your calculations, and cancel them when you have the same units in the numerator and denominator of a fraction. That helps you to use units to check your calculations.

berkeman said:
Yes, convert 6cm into meters, so you can calculate the speed.

When they say 4.8 oscillations per second, that is the same as saying that the frequency is 4.8Hz. Hz is "Hertz", and is equal to one oscillation per second. You write the units of Hz as 1/s. Try to always carry along the units for each quantity in your calculations, and cancel them when you have the same units in the numerator and denominator of a fraction. That helps you to use units to check your calculations.
So it would be 0.288m/s?
And for b) is the answer 4.8s?

Sonny18n said:
So it would be 0.288m/s?
And for b) is the answer 4.8s?

Yes on the first one -- v = 0.06m * 4.8Hz = 0.288m/s.

On the 2nd one, they have given you the frequency as 4.8Hz. Use your other equation to figure out the period that is associated with that frequency...

berkeman said:
Yes on the first one -- v = 0.06m * 4.8Hz = 0.288m/s.

On the 2nd one, they have given you the frequency as 4.8Hz. Use your other equation to figure out the period that is associated with that frequency...
But I'm looking for period and I only have frequency and the number "1".

Sonny18n said:
But I'm looking for period and I only have frequency and the number "1".

Sonny18n said:
frequency = 1/period

What does that relevant equation mean? What does it mean to take 1/anything? What is 1/2? What is 1/10? :smile:

berkeman said:
What does that relevant equation mean? What does it mean to take 1/anything? What is 1/2? What is 1/10? :smile:
Are you asking me to divide 1 by so and so? I don't know what that so and so is.

Sonny18n said:
Are you asking me to divide 1 by so and so? I don't know what that so and so is.

If frequency = 1/period, and you have the frequency and want to find the period, what simple algebraic manipulation do you use to get the equation for period in terms of frequency?

berkeman said:
If frequency = 1/period, and you have the frequency and want to find the period, what simple algebraic manipulation do you use to get the equation for period in terms of frequency?
Okay just realized where you were going with the last hint. It's probably incredible simple but I draw a blank as to what 1 can be divided to get a number as big as 4.8

Sonny18n said:
Okay just realized where you were going with the last hint. It's probably incredible simple but I draw a blank as to what 1 can be divided to get a number as big as 4.8

Just to review some algebra...

If y = 1/x, and you are given y, how do you solve for x?

berkeman said:
Just to review some algebra...

If y = 1/x, and you are given y, how do you solve for x?
I would've thought it was to multily y and 1 to get 4.8 but 1 divided by 4.8 clearly isn't 4.8

Sonny18n said:
I would've thought it was to multily y and 1 to get 4.8 but 1 divided by 4.8 clearly isn't 4.8

Stick with my more general algebra example for a bit. In algebra, we manipulate equations to change there form in order to get to our answer. As long as we do the same thing to both sides of an equation, the equality still holds. We can add the same number to both sides, for example. Or we can multiply both sides by the same constant, or by the same variable.

What can you do to this equation: y = 1/x

To get it into the forum of x = f(y), where (y) is some function of y that you got to by a couple manipulations of the original equation?

berkeman said:
Stick with my more general algebra example for a bit. In algebra, we manipulate equations to change there form in order to get to our answer. As long as we do the same thing to both sides of an equation, the equality still holds. We can add the same number to both sides, for example. Or we can multiply both sides by the same constant, or by the same variable.

What can you do to this equation: y = 1/x

To get it into the forum of x = f(y), where (y) is some function of y that you got to by a couple manipulations of the original equation?
Okay so I was messing with the numbers and divided 1 by 4.8. Then I got 0.2083 to which I divided it to 1 and got 4.8

Sonny18n said:
Okay so I was messing with the numbers and divided 1 by 4.8. Then I got 0.2083 to which I divided it to 1 and got 4.8

Please answer my question in Post #14. Just blindly manipulating equations is pointless. Please use real algebra, and write out each step...

berkeman said:
Please answer my question in Post #14. Just blindly manipulating equations is pointless. Please use real algebra, and write out each step...
Well it works with 2 as well. 1/2 is .5 and .5 goes into one 2 times.

Related to Help with periods and oscilation *and* wavelengths

1. What is the relationship between period and oscillation?

The period of a wave refers to the time it takes for one complete oscillation to occur. In other words, it is the time it takes for the wave to repeat its pattern. The number of oscillations that occur in one second is known as the frequency. Therefore, the relationship between period and oscillation is that they are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the period increases, the number of oscillations decreases, and vice versa.

2. How are periods and wavelengths related?

Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase, meaning they have the same amplitude and are either both at their highest point or both at their lowest point. The relationship between period and wavelength is that they are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the period increases, the wavelength also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating period?

The formula for calculating period is T = 1/f, where T is the period in seconds and f is the frequency in hertz (Hz). This means that to find the period, you divide 1 by the frequency. For example, if the frequency of a wave is 2 Hz, the period would be 1/2 seconds.

4. How do you measure the period and wavelength of a wave?

The period of a wave can be measured by using a stopwatch to time how long it takes for one complete oscillation to occur. The wavelength can be measured by using a ruler to measure the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase. This measurement is usually taken from the crest (highest point) of one wave to the crest of the next wave.

5. Why are periods and wavelengths important in the study of waves?

Periods and wavelengths are important in the study of waves because they help us understand the behavior and characteristics of different types of waves. They also allow us to make predictions about how waves will behave and interact with each other. Additionally, the relationship between period, frequency, and wavelength is a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many equations and calculations related to waves.