Help With Momentum Conservation & Football Collision

In summary, a figure skater pushes another figure skater away with a force of 1000 newtons. The skater is then pushed in a different direction based on the newtons of momentum they have.
DLT
Hi guys would need some help here, not sure if I did it right cause recently I got so lost/confused in the class, just out of no where. I always understood most of the stuff and the thing that irritates me is that it doesn`t seem hard at all. So here goes.

Conservation Of Momentum

1) Two figure skaters are facing each other, with their palms together.Both skaters are intially at rest on a frictionless surface. The 1st skater has a mass of 40kg and the 2nd skater has a mass of 60kg. 1st skater pushes off of skater ( 2nd one ) in such a way that skater #1 moves left and skater #2 moves right. After the puss off skater #2 moves with velocity of 6m/s. Determine the direction and volecity of skater #1 after the push.

Now this is as far as I know a recoil problem. Where do I start at ? I came up with an answer of 9 seconds but the way I did it looks way too easy. Could some one help me out with this one ?

Here`s another one.

2) A 100kg fullback is running due west with a velocity of 10m/s. At the goal line he collides head-on with a 120kg linebacker, moving due east at 8m/s. Based on the info given, does the fullback drive the linebacker into the end zone or is he pushed backwards by the linebacker ? Explain the reasoning.

I found the forces of both runners.

• Fullback - 1000N
  • Linebacker -960N

So the fullback should make it into the end zone, cause he is running with bigger force than the linebacker.

Physics news on Phys.org
DLT said:
1) Two figure skaters are facing each other, with their palms together.Both skaters are intially at rest on a frictionless surface. The 1st skater has a mass of 40kg and the 2nd skater has a mass of 60kg. 1st skater pushes off of skater ( 2nd one ) in such a way that skater #1 moves left and skater #2 moves right. After the puss off skater #2 moves with velocity of 6m/s. Determine the direction and volecity of skater #1 after the push.

Now this is as far as I know a recoil problem. Where do I start at ? I came up with an answer of 9 seconds but the way I did it looks way too easy. Could some one help me out with this one ?
Well nine seconds isn't correct.
DLT said:
2) A 100kg fullback is running due west with a velocity of 10m/s. At the goal line he collides head-on with a 120kg linebacker, moving due east at 8m/s. Based on the info given, does the fullback drive the linebacker into the end zone or is he pushed backwards by the linebacker ? Explain the reasoning.

I found the forces of both runners.

• Fullback - 1000N
  • Linebacker -960N

So the fullback should make it into the end zone, cause he is running with bigger force than the linebacker.
No, you didn't calculate the forces, you calculated their momenta. Since the fullback had a greater momentum than the linebacker, when the two collide their resultant momentum (assuming they stick together) will be in the same direction as the fullback is traveling (by conservation of momentum). Therefore, your conclusion is correct, but your reasoning is wrong.

Thanks for the answer. Now would this drawing work to support my reasoning. I changed the units as you said that I was wrong.

Before collision
960kg m/s ------> <------ 1000kg m/s​

After collision
<------ 40kg m/s​

Hootenanny said:
Well nine seconds isn't correct.

By making "seconds" red do you mean that the "number" I got is right but my units are wrong ? It should be 9m/s.

Last edited:
DLT said:
Thanks for the answer. Now would this drawing work to support my reasoning. I changed the units as you said that I was wrong.

Before collision
960kg m/s ------> <------ 1000kg m/s​

After collision
<------ 40kg m/s​
Much better :approve:
DLT said:
By making "seconds" red do you mean that the "number" I got is right but my units are wrong ? It should be 9m/s.
Looks better, but don't forget to take account of the direction...

Related to Help With Momentum Conservation & Football Collision

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. This means that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

2. How is momentum conserved in a football collision?

In a football collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the players before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the combined mass and velocity of the players before the collision is equal to the combined mass and velocity of the players after the collision.

3. What factors affect momentum conservation in a football collision?

The main factors that affect momentum conservation in a football collision are the mass and velocity of the players involved. The greater the mass and velocity of the players, the greater the momentum they have and the more significant the collision will be.

4. How do players use momentum to their advantage in football?

Players can use momentum to their advantage in football by using their mass and velocity to gain momentum and increase their chances of success in tackling, blocking, or carrying the ball. They can also use the principle of momentum conservation to anticipate the movements of their opponents and react accordingly.

5. Can momentum be lost in a football collision?

According to the principle of momentum conservation, momentum cannot be lost in a football collision. However, some of the kinetic energy of the players may be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, during the collision. This means that the players may slow down after the collision, but the total momentum of the system will remain constant.