Help with linear questions. Got wrong on test and correcting them

In summary: This means that the three vectors lie on the same plane and can be written as linear combinations of each other. 2. Considers the points A(1,0,1) B(1,2,3) C(-1,0,2)a) find the angle between the vectors AB and AC my attempt:cos=AB*AC/||AB|| ||AC||=2/(8)^1/2 (5)^1/2= 0.3162=cos-1(0.3162)=71.56In summary, the conversation discusses several questions related to vectors and their properties. The first question involves computing the scalar triple product of three given vectors and deducing their
olliebear
Here are some questions that I received on my test. I got most of these wrong but I got a couple points here and there. Here are the questions I had trouble with. At the bottom on the questions I tried to solve them but I'm not sure if i did them correctly. Please try and help me because I have a final coming up this week and I want to learn how to solve these questions.

1. Consider the three vectors u=(4,-1,-5) , v=(1,-4,1) and w= (1,1,-2)
a) compute the scalar triple product of u,v,w.
my attempt:
u * (v X w)
4 -1 -5
1 -4 1
1 1 -2

=4(7) + 1(-3) -5(5)
= |0|
=0

b) What can you deduce about the vectors u,v,w, supposing they have the same initial point?
my attempt: That the answer would be different because it would be multiplying with different multiples…?

2. Considers the points A(1,0,1) B(1,2,3) C(-1,0,2)
a) find the angle between the vectors AB and AC
my attempt:
cos=AB*AC/||AB|| ||AC||
=2/(8)^1/2 (5)^1/2
= 0.3162
=cos-1(0.3162)
=71.56

b) Find a vector equation of the line through A and B
my attempt:
A=(1,0,1)
B= (1,2,3
?

3. Considers the L1(line 1) with symmetric equation (x-1)/-1 = (y+2)/2 =z/3
and the L2(line 2) parallel to v2=(1,0,-1) and throughout the point P2(0,1,0)

a) Find the direction vector v1 for the line L1 and give a point P1 on L1
my attempt:
p1 (1,1, 1/3)
v1 (1,1,1)

b) Find a parametric equation of the line L2
my attempt:
v2= (1,0,-1)
P2= (0,1,0)
L2 should equal {t, 1, -1}

c) show that the lines L1 and L2 are skew lines
my attempt:
|x1x2 * (V1 X V2)| \ ||V1 X V2||

=(0,1,0) * ( -1, -2, -1) / 6^1/2
= -2/6^1/2 d) Find a unit vector u orthogonal to both v1 and v2
my attempt:
v1 (1,1,1)
v2 (1,0, -1)
v3 ( , , )
v1 X v2
1 1 1
1 0 -1
u=( -1,0,-1)

e) find the orthogonal projection P1P2 on u
(p1p2 * u/ ||u|| ) u
=(-2/2^1/2, 0, -2/2^1/2)

f) deduce the distance d=||Proju P1P || between the lines L1 and L24. If u and v are vector in n-space, Simplify: ( u+v) * (u-v)
my attempt:
=uu –uv + uv - vv
=||u||^2 - ||v||^2

b) use your previous result to show that the parallelogram defined by u and v is a rhombus if and only if its diagonals are perpendicular.
A rhombus has 4 sides that are equal and this would prove it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
olliebear said:
1. Consider the three vectors u=(4,-1,-5) , v=(1,-4,1) and w= (1,1,-2)
a) compute the scalar triple product of u,v,w.
my attempt:
u * (v X w)
4 -1 -5
1 -4 1
1 1 -2

=4(7) + 1(-3) -5(5)
= |0|
=0

b) What can you deduce about the vectors u,v,w, supposing they have the same initial point?
my attempt: That the answer would be different because it would be multiplying with different multiples…?
Geometrically, the scalar triple product is the (signed) volume of the parallelepiped defined by the three given vectors. If the volume of this parallelepiped is zero, then...?

it means that the parallelepiped is planar and has no volume. This means that the given three vectors are linearly dependent?

olliebear said:
it means that the parallelepiped is planar and has no volume. This means that the given three vectors are linearly dependent?

Yes.

Related to Help with linear questions. Got wrong on test and correcting them

1. How can I improve my understanding of linear questions?

To improve your understanding of linear questions, it is important to review the concepts and formulas related to linear equations. You can also practice solving different types of linear questions and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

2. What are some common mistakes people make when solving linear questions?

Some common mistakes people make when solving linear questions include not properly distributing coefficients, forgetting to combine like terms, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and identify any potential mistakes.

3. How can I check my work and make sure I have the correct answer?

You can check your work by plugging your solution back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use online tools or calculators to verify your answer.

4. What resources are available to help me with linear questions?

There are many resources available to help with linear questions, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor for personalized assistance.

5. What strategies can I use to approach linear questions on a test?

To approach linear questions on a test, it is important to carefully read and understand the question, identify the relevant information, and choose an appropriate method to solve the problem. It is also helpful to show your work and double check your answer before moving on to the next question.